First Time Grower needing some opinions on the state of my plant...

• Thread starter CTGtheFirst
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CTGtheFirst

Hi everyone! Happy Easter to all! So, as the title says, I'm a first time grower using a mixture of organic soil (Nature's Care), Peat Moss and Perlite in a 13" diameter pot. My plant, Lazarus, has been in the vegetative stage for 2 1/2 weeks today. Three days ago (4/18), I watered in 4 tsp. organic bat guano with a 10:3:1 NPK ratio. I have a ViperSpectra 600w LED/UV/IR running on an 18-6 clock, 33 inches above the top of the plant.

Today, as I was inspecting Lazarus when its lights came on, I noticed his leaf tips slightly pointing downwards (pictures attached) and I became worried I might be doing something wrong. As you can tell from his name, I made a mistake early on during the seedling stage and he wasn't progressing as well as he should have been. A kind redditor gave me some great advice (BIG props to r/MerryMFjane!!!) and helped me resurrect Lazurus to what it is today.

Does anything with Lazarus appear to be unusual or clearly wrong? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

First time grower needing some opinions on the state of my plant
First time grower needing some opinions on the state of my plant 2
First time grower needing some opinions on the state of my plant 3
First time grower needing some opinions on the state of my plant 4
Kepp89

Kepp89

that blue tub doesnt hold water all day, does it? only thing id say is maybe watering too often. they look a tad drowned. its best to "know" the weight of your container with dry soil. when you water it, pick it up and now you "know" the weight of the container when the soil is wet. now you water when you realize the weight is of dry soil. make sense?

other than that she looks good. nice and green.

and try to keep the water droplets off the leaves when lights are on. bottom pic bottom right some leaves have water droplets probably from watering. careful when watering.

and i'd say with the bushiness of her you should def have an oscillating fan in your tent to keep air moving throughout the plant

also, patience. you probably dont need to adjust anything so id wait about 5-6 days before watering or changing anything except the oscillating fan

C

CTGtheFirst

that blue tub doesnt hold water all day, does it? only thing id say is maybe watering too often. they look a tad drowned. its best to "know" the weight of your container with dry soil. when you water it, pick it up and now you "know" the weight of the container when the soil is wet. now you water when you realize the weight is of dry soil. make sense?

other than that she looks good. nice and green.

and try to keep the water droplets off the leaves when lights are on. bottom pic bottom right some leaves have water droplets probably from watering. careful when watering.

and i'd say with the bushiness of her you should def have an oscillating fan in your tent to keep air moving throughout the plant

also, patience. you probably dont need to adjust anything so id wait about 5-6 days before watering or changing anything except the oscillating fan
Thank you very much for the advice. I had thought about the fan but wasn't sure if it was actually needed but I'm glad you told me so I'll put one in tomorrow. I'll definitely do what you said with the weight of the soil. I never thought to do that. Up until now I've been sticking my finger about an inch down to feel if the soil felt moist or not and I wasn't that comfortable with the reliability of that test determining when I should water so your suggestion makes much more sense and is definitely more practical.

Thanks again for the help and the great advice. I'm truly grateful. Have a great night!

Kepp89

Kepp89

Thank you very much for the advice. I had thought about the fan but wasn't sure if it was actually needed but I'm glad you told me so I'll put one in tomorrow. I'll definitely do what you said with the weight of the soil. I never thought to do that. Up until now I've been sticking my finger about an inch down to feel if the soil felt moist or not and I wasn't that comfortable with the reliability of that test determining when I should water so your suggestion makes much more sense and is definitely more practical.

Thanks again for the help and the great advice. I'm truly grateful. Have a great night!
you're welcome. also make sure that the water in the blue tub doesnt stay for too long. you dont want the bottom of the soil to be soaking in water 24/7. cannabis soil needs a cycle of wet to dry to wet to dry for best results.

mine is only raised 4mm. just enough to hover over the water until i return to soak it up later in the night

C

CTGtheFirst

you're welcome. also make sure that the water in the blue tub doesnt stay for too long. you dont want the bottom of the soil to be soaking in water 24/7. cannabis soil needs a cycle of wet to dry to wet to dry for best results.

mine is only raised 4mm. just enough to hover over the water until i return to soak it up later in the night
I reconsidered how I use the blue tub part and I think I'll raise it up slightly like yours is so when the water runs through, it's not sitting in it like you had mentioned.

I also purchased an oscillating fan today and placed it inside the tent (3x3x6) but I'm concerned about the location. I've set it on the lowest speed but I noticed that when the fan hits the leaves they really start blowing so I wasn't sure where the best place to put it was. I've included a photo. If you have any tips or suggestions regarding the fan placement or any tricks that might help, I'd really appreciate your insight again if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks very much and I hope you had a great Monday!

20190422 211906
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

A clip on 6” fan blowing in between the canopy and the light is very helpful.

But to use that fan since its too powerful for the small space you can point it at the tent wall to deflect the blast. Play around until the leaves just flutter and sway a bit. And you can feel air movement all around.

C

CTGtheFirst

A clip on 6” fan blowing in between the canopy and the light is very helpful.

But to use that fan since its too powerful for the small space you can point it at the tent wall to deflect the blast. Play around until the leaves just flutter and sway a bit. And you can feel air movement all around.
Thanks for the tip! I've got 4 heavy duty rope hangers so I was wondering if perhaps it might be best if I hang it from the top of the tent, pointing at an angle so it has more distance between the fan and Lazarus and hopefully reduce the amount of force the breeze from the fan exerts on the leaves? What's your opinion on that? Thanks again for the advice. I'm learning a bunch of great tips from you guys and I'm truly thankful.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks for the tip! I've got 4 heavy duty rope hangers so I was wondering if perhaps it might be best if I hang it from the top of the tent, pointing at an angle so it has more distance between the fan and Lazarus and hopefully reduce the amount of force the breeze from the fan exerts on the leaves? What's your opinion on that? Thanks again for the advice. I'm learning a bunch of great tips from you guys and I'm truly thankful.

I would try that. In a corner pointing across and up towards the light some. That brings cool air from the floor up through the plants and helps the exhaust fan (should be up high).

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

leaf stems turning purple due to stretching out to find light. it needs to be trimmed

either cut off the smaller stuff or cut off the larger leaf material to allow more light in

C

CTGtheFirst

I would try that. In a corner pointing across and up towards the light some. That brings cool air from the floor up through the plants and helps the exhaust fan (should be up high).

Sorry for not responding sooner. I took some time to re-arrange my grow tent to include all of the tips I've received. I've attached Lazarus to hanging straps (now hangs 29.5 inches from light) a half inch above a water collection tray that I can remove and dispose of the standing water after it drains through. I also moved Lazarus to a bigger pot so it has more room for the roots. After transplanting it, I watered it thoroughly which is 5 days after it last was watered.
I also added a small clip on fan and an exhaust fan at the top of the tent.

I've included 2 pictures of my new setup and was hoping you could take a look and let me know if you see anything that is problematic. Also, I'm confused about when and if I should add more fertilizer which I last added on 4/16 (4 tsp.).

Thanks again for any tips or ideas you might have! Hope you have a great weekend!!

20190426 214911
20190426 214858
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry for not responding sooner. I took some time to re-arrange my grow tent to include all of the tips I've received. I've attached Lazarus to hanging straps (now hangs 29.5 inches from light) a half inch above a water collection tray that I can remove and dispose of the standing water after it drains through. I also moved Lazarus to a bigger pot so it has more room for the roots. After transplanting it, I watered it thoroughly which is 5 days after it last was watered.
I also added a small clip on fan and an exhaust fan at the top of the tent.

I've included 2 pictures of my new setup and was hoping you could take a look and let me know if you see anything that is problematic. Also, I'm confused about when and if I should add more fertilizer which I last added on 4/16 (4 tsp.).

Thanks again for any tips or ideas you might have! Hope you have a great weekend!!

First I hope “Lazarus” is a girl. Lol

Try placing the clip fan halfway up between the top of the plant and the lamp.

Point it up towards the light some until the blast of wind is above the canopy and the leaves shake and twitter randomly. But the branches do not sway much.

The leaves should lift up more and be looser rather than droopy. She looks strong. I would wait until she dries out more than last time even. Dont worry about days. Worry about the pot being alarmingly light. Like whoa! Now its light.

Try waiting one note day than you think is how i learned. You will see lower leaves droop before upper when its getting tume to water.

Decide about fertilizer next week when she is dry and fully recovered.

You will know. She will look happy and vibrant.

Nice work. I can see you are trying to do things right!

C

CTGtheFirst

First I hope “Lazarus” is a girl. Lol

Try placing the clip fan halfway up between the top of the plant and the lamp.

Point it up towards the light some until the blast of wind is above the canopy and the leaves shake and twitter randomly. But the branches do not sway much.

The leaves should lift up more and be looser rather than droopy. She looks strong. I would wait until she dries out more than last time even. Dont worry about days. Worry about the pot being alarmingly light. Like whoa! Now its light.

Try waiting one note day than you think is how i learned. You will see lower leaves droop before upper when its getting tume to water.

Decide about fertilizer next week when she is dry and fully recovered.

You will know. She will look happy and vibrant.

Nice work. I can see you are trying to do things right!
I hope she's a female too! I started it on a whim with a loose seed I found in one of my stash bags so no telling how it's going to work out. I really appreciate all the tips you've given me. I've done tons of reading online about growing for the first time but they're never really specific in the articles when they talk about watering and fertilizing. Having someone like you who knows what they're doing really helps, especially for a rookie like me. I'm going to go change the fan now like you suggested and then sit back for a few days and relax and let it do its thing.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll reach out in a few days to provide an update on its progress. Hope you have a great week!

C

CTGtheFirst

HELP ME PLEASE!! So I sat back for a few days and I didnt touch Lazarus at all. No water, no anything. I had last watered her on April 26th and then I waited until May 5th to water it again. When I went to water her on the 5th, I noticed what you see in the attached pictures. The leaves are shriveling and turning yellow, and the ones on the very bottom have died completely. I have no idea what I did wrong or how to save her again. It looks like its spreading up now towards the top of the plant. What do I do? I'm so bummed because I thought everything was going good and now I feel like I definitely did something wrong and she's a goner. Any ideas on what's causing this and what to do now? Thanks so much for taking time to help me with this most recent problem. Much appreciated!

I hope she's a female too! I started it on a whim with a loose seed I found in one of my stash bags so no telling how it's going to work out. I really appreciate all the tips you've given me. I've done tons of reading online about growing for the first time but they're never really specific in the articles when they talk about watering and fertilizing. Having someone like you who knows what they're doing really helps, especially for a rookie like me. I'm going to go change the fan now like you suggested and then sit back for a few days and relax and let it do its thing.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll reach out in a few days to provide an update on its progress. Hope you have a great week!

20190507 195826
20190507 195841
C

CTGtheFirst

Reading is hard
I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Is there something online I should read that would help identify the culprit here? I am, as always, very grateful for any help or guidance. Hope you have a great day!

Dan789

Dan789

So wondering if you're overwatering? What are you using to determine when to re-water? With a plastic pot you won't have the same breathing that a plant in a fiber pot has, so that needs to be considered...The way I check if/when plants need to be watered is by the effective weight difference between when the plant has been previously watered and what that plant weighs prior to that watering (with dry soil). I know it's kind of subjective but once you not the difference you'll know when to water. The method of feeling the soil dampness using your finger, coupled with a deep pot seems problematic, as it only works as far as you can insert your finger, below that the soil can be saturated... PS also space that pot up above that blue saucer at least 3/4", use some scrap furring, try not to block the drain holes, add more if only a few exist...

London bud

London bud

HELP ME PLEASE!! So I sat back for a few days and I didnt touch Lazarus at all. No water, no anything. I had last watered her on April 26th and then I waited until May 5th to water it again. When I went to water her on the 5th, I noticed what you see in the attached pictures. The leaves are shriveling and turning yellow, and the ones on the very bottom have died completely. I have no idea what I did wrong or how to save her again. It looks like its spreading up now towards the top of the plant. What do I do? I'm so bummed because I thought everything was going good and now I feel like I definitely did something wrong and she's a goner. Any ideas on what's causing this and what to do now? Thanks so much for taking time to help me with this most recent problem. Much appreciated!

It's starting at the bottom and moving up so to me I would think it's a deficiency, caused by underfeeding maybe or nute lock out/ph off

Top Bottom