First Time Grower Seeks Advice

• Thread starter NewEnglandFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NewEnglandFarmer

NewEnglandFarmer

First shoots poking up out of the soil today--happened overnight. 3 Chinook Haze, 2 Copper Chem, and 1 Tomahawk. Away we go!

NewEnglandFarmer

NewEnglandFarmer

So 5 days later I have 21 out of 24 seeds germinated--still hoping the other 3 pop up soon, although it's been almost a week now since planting. For some reason the Orange Blossom Specials are being really slow.

Today I've got them outdoors for the first time, nice warm day (61 degrees F) with gentle breeze, figured the movement would help strengthen their stems. Until now they've been sitting on the windowsill in full sun all day (I move them from east to south to west as the day progresses so they're never in shade).

Sounds like we have some snow coming tomorrow night (!) so they will definitely be staying indoors for the most part, but will get them back out as soon as it warms up again. Decided I would try and raise these girls on natural sunlight alone and see how it goes (I know most people use lights on seedlings but I figured I'd try going "natural" and see how it works).

You think I should mist them this afternoon? I last watered them 3 days ago, soil is still damp, but I imagine today between the full sun and breeze they will start to dry out a bit. Will hold off on doing a full soak for a few more days unless the seedling tray feels really light and things look bone-dry.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

So 5 days later I have 21 out of 24 seeds germinated--still hoping the other 3 pop up soon, although it's been almost a week now since planting. For some reason the Orange Blossom Specials are being really slow.

Today I've got them outdoors for the first time, nice warm day (61 degrees F) with gentle breeze, figured the movement would help strengthen their stems. Until now they've been sitting on the windowsill in full sun all day (I move them from east to south to west as the day progresses so they're never in shade).

Sounds like we have some snow coming tomorrow night (!) so they will definitely be staying indoors for the most part, but will get them back out as soon as it warms up again. Decided I would try and raise these girls on natural sunlight alone and see how it goes (I know most people use lights on seedlings but I figured I'd try going "natural" and see how it works).

You think I should mist them this afternoon? I last watered them 3 days ago, soil is still damp, but I imagine today between the full sun and breeze they will start to dry out a bit. Will hold off on doing a full soak for a few more days unless the seedling tray feels really light and things look bone-dry.

I wouldn’t mist. Keeping the top slightly damp will attract pests and mold fast. The plants root growth will be encouraged to stretch if it has to look a bit for water too. Just be patient in watering, I know how hard it is to just do nothing!

NewEnglandFarmer

NewEnglandFarmer

I wouldn’t mist. Keeping the top slightly damp will attract pests and mold fast. The plants root growth will be encouraged to stretch if it has to look a bit for water too. Just be patient in watering, I know how hard it is to just do nothing!
Makes sense. They had a nice afternoon in the sun outside yesterday. Here's some shots after I brought them back in for the evening, basking in the late afternoon sun in the windowsill:

Cc closeup
Tray 1 week 2
Tray 2 week 2
NewEnglandFarmer

NewEnglandFarmer

End of week 2 update: growth rate really accelerating. There's a youtube video where the woman at Coast of Maine who came up with this Stonington Mix soil says that although she starts her seeds in it the new seedlings are a little "overwhelmed" by the rich soil and therefore start slowly. Hopefully from here on out they'll really rocket.

Had a couple afternoons in the bright sun this week but a lot of rain and cold, too so they stayed in doors mostly. I got so concerned about some "legginess" I was seeing, especially on the straggling Orange Blossom Specials, I picked up a cheap LED light from Home Depot for cloudy days. Plus I add in an old Ott CFL desk lamp (5300K) I had from years ago.

Looks like a sunny warm (60s?) day ahead so will get the girls out for the afternoon again.

You think any of these are ready to transplant now into 1 gallon pots? Any tips on making that operation smooth and gentle? I get that these seedlings are still delicate. Thinking they'll go in the ground around Memorial Day. We get a shade over 15 hours of light then.

I could've sworn I detected faint odors from these plants this morning, but guessing that was just my imagination. I'm sure when they start to flower they'll really be fragrant!

Here's pictures from this morning:

End of week 2 chinookhaze
Tray1 week2
Tray2 end of week2
Diesel21

Diesel21

Still waiting for my pacific seeds I purchased on March 28. That bank is a joke when it comes to their customer
Service. I live 7 hours away and it’s been almost a month. They are bullshiters. Won’t purchase from them again.

I also placed an order on April 17th. They packaged the seeds and sent me a tracking number on May 11th where it still sits as of today. Terrible customer service and no communication. I will never order again. I also
placed an order for seedsman on the same day and received it 2 weeks ago.

Top Bottom