First time growing outdoors need advice.

• Thread starter Zunk99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zunk99

Zunk99

Hello all. This is my first time growing plants outside. Mostly I’m just letting them go. I’ve trimmed them a few times but not a ton. They are already 6ft tall and it’s only the start of august. My question is do outdoor plants stretch a lot like indoor plants when you flip them? If so should I trim the top off before flower? Dont want these things being 8-10ft tall.

First time growing outdoors need advice
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You don't "flip" outdoor plants, unless you intend to put a tent over them to extend the night period.

I've never noticed a stretch period outdoors. That was my biggest surprise when I did my first indoor grow — this thing called stretch.

If they're getting too tall, use supercropping.

Zunk99

Zunk99

You don't "flip" outdoor plants, unless you intend to put a tent over them to extend the night period.

I've never noticed a stretch period outdoors. That was my biggest surprise when I did my first indoor grow — this thing called stretch.

If they're getting too tall, use supercropping.
Yea I meant it as “stretching like indoor plants do when you flip. Thanks!

Zunk99

Zunk99

Should I trim them like indoor plants going into flower? Or does direct sunlight penetrate the leaves much more?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Should I trim them like indoor plants going into flower? Or does direct sunlight penetrate the leaves much more?
I don't know. I haven't grown outdoors in about 7 years, when defoliation was looked at as insanity by many growers (including me).

The thing about the sun is that direct light hitting the top of the plant is no stronger than direct light hitting the bottom of the plant. However, shade is still shade. A shaded bud site won't develop much. I think I would do a little selective defoliating to allow more air flow through the plant and maybe leaves directly covering "good" growing points.

Eddiejay

Eddiejay

This was my first time outdoors.. I just took out leaves that were blocking sunlight from the bud sites. Mine are doing pretty good. Good luck !!

CrazyColas

CrazyColas

Complete rookie grower here in the middle of bringing in a most-impressive first harvest. Cut the fan leaves, which have stems that go to the stalks, and toss. Keep the leaves with stems that disappear into the colas, and trim those only at harvest before drying. I guess these are called sugar leaves-can’t wait to cook with these! Finally, when mine went over 8 feet I trimmed the top mast. BTW, although not fully mature, this top stem gives an early indication of your quality. I did “lolly pop” my plant, harvesting stems from the bottom. I started first weekend in Sept, and have cut a few each weekend since. One plant. So.much.weed!

Rooke

Rooke

Complete rookie grower here in the middle of bringing in a most-impressive first harvest. Cut the fan leaves, which have stems that go to the stalks, and toss. Keep the leaves with stems that disappear into the colas, and trim those only at harvest before drying. I guess these are called sugar leaves-can’t wait to cook with these! Finally, when mine went over 8 feet I trimmed the top mast. BTW, although not fully mature, this top stem gives an early indication of your quality. I did “lolly pop” my plant, harvesting stems from the bottom. I started first weekend in Sept, and have cut a few each weekend since. One plant. So.much.weed!
I only prune leaves for the best airflow leafy strains can be hard to keep up with I don’t grow them anymore

Top Bottom