First time indoor growing -is this a good beginner light?

• Thread starter jebemtimojozemlo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

Hi
so I've "grown" indoor before but the setup was ghetto af and yield were small. So this time i want to buy a proper growlight thats not too expensive. I've found this light and am wondering if its good for 2 plants? https://horticulturelightinggroup.c...-boards/products/qb288-v2-rspec-quantum-board The strain I'm planning on growing is GSC Auto from Fast Budz
From looking at reputable posters it looks like the HLG group offers a good warranty and gives good value for the $$$. I personally don't have experience with it...One thing I do know is that you will risk burning your plants if you keep the light too close -- particularly as you get started with the seedlings keep 'em 30" away. Good luck to you jeb

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hi
so I've "grown" indoor before but the setup was ghetto af and yield were small. So this time i want to buy a proper growlight thats not too expensive. I've found this light and am wondering if its good for 2 plants? https://horticulturelightinggroup.c...-boards/products/qb288-v2-rspec-quantum-board The strain I'm planning on growing is GSC Auto from Fast Budz

That is just the board. You would need the heatsink, wiring and a driver as well and then build it.

They have complete kits and pre built lights as well. Pay attention to the footprint they recommend for best results.

jebemtimojozemlo

jebemtimojozemlo

That is just the board. You would need the heatsink, wiring and a driver as well and then build it.

They have complete kits and pre built lights as well. Pay attention to the footprint they recommend for best results.
but is it possible to find built ones at a similar price?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

but is it possible to find built ones at a similar price?

Tons of options. Read some led threads.

Here is the board you linked but complete. Lights a 2’x2’ area.

jebemtimojozemlo

jebemtimojozemlo

So i was checking out local growshops and found this one. Its not LED but i fell like this would be better than the other one? can anyone tell me if its good? has anyone used it? any feedback would be great

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It really depends. It’s not better per se but it is sufficient. HPS and HID lighting in general require more temp control as they tend to put off a lot of extra heat. However if you’re looking to grow autos it actually might be your best bet. However instead of HPS I’d recommend cMH instead as they are more efficient and are basically HID evolved lighting.

This is an interesting subject that I feel new growers often struggle with. They see folks using top shelf LEDs and think they have to emulate their hero’s. The problem is LEDs have a very narrow scope of which they will work and save money. If you go outside those boundaries you are better off with other types of lighting.

For LEDs or quantum LEDs you want a flat even canopy thats packed tight with nodes and cleared below the canopy to allow for better air flow and more growth above the canopy. Canopy management becomes your most important issue to deal with. If you’re not growing like this then LEDs and quantum LEDs are prolly not going to benefit you.

In your situation because you won’t have much canopy management capabilities due to the autoflowering nature of your plants you want something that’s going to penetrate deeper into the canopy. For that COB LEDs or HID (cMH) are a good choice.

So regardless choose the right light for the intended growing method.

Top Bottom