First time LST , now what? Any advice is great 😅

• Thread starter Haydar1984
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Thank
"I'm using very little amount of nutes as I'm trying to grow organic in soil/compost/peat moss mix , only giving what appears to be missing promptly , I use kelp powder and humic acid.

Anything that I should do more for training?"

Starting out, especially making the big bushy plants, it's all trial and error. As time goes on, you'll learn how much of a beating you can put on a plant when training it. You can bend branches under others to fill out empty parts of the canopy etc. Looks like you topped it 6 or 8 places maybe? If were me, I'd let it get some more vertical growth and bend horizontally again. Maybe remove 2 or 3 of the large fan leaves in the middle to let it breathe as it sits now and give the tops under it some light. That's all I would do now. It looks happy and will grow into whatever you want it to be :).

I obsessed my first plant quite a bit. I was so proud that I could top and FIM successfully. Every new shoot that appeared, I would top more. Always more topping 😆. By the time flower rolled around, I had an unmanageable jungle. That's not a bad problem to have but I spent long hours defoliating. It looks like you are on the right path. It is all about experience.
Thank you , I only topped one time , all the branching is side shots from the main stem , now the branches are having side shots which is crazy I don't know what to do with all these shots , should I keep them or pluck them don't know 🤔

dire wolf

dire wolf

Your doing pretty welll for "clueless" i think you are going to be pretty far from that soon, good work so far

dire wolf

dire wolf

400 MH excellent, i m old school style, so i get nostalgic about the high intensity lighting, you can do a lot with that light, is it a switchable ballast ? Meaning thet you can swap out your blue spectrum bulb for a red high pressure sodium light ?
Check with manufacturer,

If not, you can run your entire grow on that light, just not recommended and the results wont be as good....

You can supplement lighting with a Cheap flower spectrum led, unless you dont want furthur Costs, you can grow expensive or frugal, gonna work both ways, tell you dont need, salesmen telling if you dont buy 500.00 worth of nutrients, containers, green bulbs! Sunglasses, t shirts and club memberships😁

Tell us a little more about your set up ?
Looks like the plant is in a plastic bucket ? Do you have adequate drainage?

I like your nutrient and feed Concept, should work fine...

Is the plant in a Closet, box, room ? Keep a close eye on temps, and
Light leaks when you begin flower
Also night temps and humidity are also very important, but you said your in a hot place, so should be ok, as long as its not "hot" like florida in summer "hot"

Also , i like your organic mix idea, but you said "soil" which is fine, but i would keep an eye open for drainage problems, if was me, i would mix 25 % with a pro mix or vermiculite, or whatever hou can get your hands on to improve drainage..

Also a 400 mh can handle easy 4 plants that size or 2 huge bushes if you keep up with the cropping/ bending method......

As far as when to flip, i can offer advise , but like i said before you are pretty far from clueless! I got a feeling you know more than your telling....

If you want anymore input from me, just ask, as i tend to write a little too much sometimes 😊

dire wolf

dire wolf

Oh yea one more thing, hid lights are not good for "lazy" so be careful, you will constantly monitor heat, and the light is somewhat dangerous depending what type of enclosure it is in.......it needs to be vented with a inline fan, and thats another expense.....
In other words dont burn the plants or the house down......

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

400 MH excellent, i m old school style, so i get nostalgic about the high intensity lighting, you can do a lot with that light, is it a switchable ballast ? Meaning thet you can swap out your blue spectrum bulb for a red high pressure sodium light ?
Check with manufacturer,

If not, you can run your entire grow on that light, just not recommended and the results wont be as good....

You can supplement lighting with a Cheap flower spectrum led, unless you dont want furthur Costs, you can grow expensive or frugal, gonna work both ways, tell you dont need, salesmen telling if you dont buy 500.00 worth of nutrients, containers, green bulbs! Sunglasses, t shirts and club memberships😁

Tell us a little more about your set up ?
Looks like the plant is in a plastic bucket ? Do you have adequate drainage?

I like your nutrient and feed Concept, should work fine...

Is the plant in a Closet, box, room ? Keep a close eye on temps, and
Light leaks when you begin flower
Also night temps and humidity are also very important, but you said your in a hot place, so should be ok, as long as its not "hot" like florida in summer "hot"

Also , i like your organic mix idea, but you said "soil" which is fine, but i would keep an eye open for drainage problems, if was me, i would mix 25 % with a pro mix or vermiculite, or whatever hou can get your hands on to improve drainage..

Also a 400 mh can handle easy 4 plants that size or 2 huge bushes if you keep up with the cropping/ bending method......

As far as when to flip, i can offer advise , but like i said before you are pretty far from clueless! I got a feeling you know more than your telling....

If you want anymore input from me, just ask, as i tend to write a little too much sometimes 😊
I'm really thankful for your "too much" input , the more I read the better from experienced helpful guys like you 🤩 , I'm truly clueless of what will happen next as this is my first time growing cannabis and the idea of flipping lights and such makes me nervous to make a mistake and ruin my precious few seeds( it's almost impossible to get seeds by mail as no one ships to my country and accepts credit card at the same time)

My setup is a spare room we use to store stuff and I have little space for 2 plants , the plastic buckets are old 4 gallons fluid buckets that I cut and made drainage holes to make as a large pot , and you are absolutely right about drainage problems as I ruined the auto white haze due to root problems as the dranaige was not enough and the bucket was too large for a small seedling (as I told you I'm a noob and made all mistakes possible till now) , I have another 400W led 3000K light and another HPS 400Watts 😅 but I'm keeping them for flowering as I read about this well and spent some good money preparing 😉.

I just want to understand when should I flip for the best results/yeild , and what is a good balance for the number of branches I should leave developing , as I want to pluck all unnecessary branches to preserve energy and prevent small colas formation , I read a lot about it but no real experience whatsoever

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Oh yea one more thing, hid lights are not good for "lazy" so be careful, you will constantly monitor heat, and the light is somewhat dangerous depending what type of enclosure it is in.......it needs to be vented with a inline fan, and thats another expense.....
In other words dont burn the plants or the house down......
Right now it's winter so the heat is not a problem , the temp in the room is around 23C and humidity is around 40% , I can only grow in winter , when the summer comes it becomes too hot for anything living to stay there 😂

dire wolf

dire wolf

Make some clones , if it as difficult as you say to get seeds etc, you really need to make a few clones for next grows....
Unless you just do the one winter grow then forget about summer till you somehow get more seed .....
I can coach you in the clone dept, its easy, and a skill ALL growers need...

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Make some clones , if it as difficult as you say to get seeds etc, you really need to make a few clones for next grows....
Unless you just do the one winter grow then forget about summer till you somehow get more seed .....
I can coach you in the clone dept, its easy, and a skill ALL growers need...
Thanks a LOT , I was thinking about cloning and trying an outdoor grow just to see how the plant will respond to the extreme heat , I think cloning is quite easy , I have rooting powder and can provide high humidity especially in the summer in a closed room with an evaporater air cooler, anything else besides time?

quirk

quirk

Hello farmers 🤩
This is my first time growing , I chose mexican feminised seeds from sensiseeds , topped the plant and started LST at the same time , I reached this level shown in picture , now I think its a mess and don't know what to do next 😅 any suggestion is appreciated

P.S does this plant looks sativa to you as it's supposed to be? To my untrained eyes it looks an indica...View attachment 930420

D6Cj2P1XsAAWLkr
Haydar1984

Haydar1984

This is the plant now with ScrOG , still in veg , will flip in the next few days
20200212 012547

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

Hell ya, looks like you got it figured pretty well. I pretty much always scrog/train/lst because I grow in low ceilings.
I think the best advice I can give is not to get attached to any of the lowers. Like once you flip just pinch off any buds growing under the canopy, its so tempting to let em go, and you will get some extra popcorn. But get the plant to focus above the canopy and your tops will make up for all the larf you could get. I've grown monsters that are rarely worth it in trim time.

lb but too many small buds for my liking
1126192211a

Latest posts

Top Bottom