First Time! Pls Help

• Thread starter GrowBeyond
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrowBeyond

Hi everyone! First time using this site, and first time growing. I have so many questions! To start off with, what should I buy? I have a 13*10 room with an eight foot ceiling that I'd like to deck out. It has two windows and a large closet. I also have a lot of 18 gallon bins from walmart, a bestVA 1000w led from amazon,and the fox farms nutrient trio. I'm looking for maximum yield in the shortest amount of time, on a budget of $1000 max. It gets hot here in the summer (third floor) and cold in the winter, which lasts a good long while. I don't pay for heat, but I do for AC. I've tried growing a couple plants recently, but have found that an unventilated closet during a heat wave is far from ideal. I have 3 plants (High Density Auto by Heavyweight) that are super tiny growing in 18 gallon bins (2 in 1) with a layer of perlite at the bottom, then 50/50 peat moss and perlite, then a layer of peat moss on top.

So basically, what do I need to do to take my disaster of a closet grow and switch it to a full sized grow room? Here are my thoughts so far

I'm looking at craigslist for air conditioners, so with 1134 sq feet in my room, and 4 HID lights, I guess I'd need 6000 CFM? I'm finding those for around $50, 14,000 CFM for about $250. There's also a 10k portable one, but it's missing a hose, whatever that means. Those are probably pretty big overkill. Normally I'd say heat isn't much of an issue in the summer, but hey, climate change. I also realized that I don't know I'm going to ventilate the room during the winter. I was interested in using yeast to supplement C02 but apparently that barely does anything.
Apparently just putting a box fan in each window should be plenty to cover air flow, but not enough to remove excess heat from weather or lights. But they're not as wide as the window, so I'd have light leakage both ways. Could cover that in cardboard. Plus I'd be worried about running those when it's cold. So I guess the answer is lots of lights to produce enough heat to warm the cold air coming from the fans, or a c02 generator and dehumidifier? I read something about lung rooms, no idea what they are.
I just saw stinkbud's tutorial on aeroponic systems, and that looks great but I'm worried I'd kill my plants. I figure I'll also need a PVC frame to hold each of the lights. Am I off base with the "soil" mediums I'm using? I found that pure peat moss takes at least a week to dry out.
If ran a room full of autos, (which appeal to me because I want to stop paying for herb ASAP) could I just provide 20 hours of light to the entire room and create shade for the younger plants? OTOH, if I can grow the same amount with fewer plants, that's definitely better. And I have a fondness for jack herer, (sannie's seeds) but I'm scared I'll kill them all all

I'm now planning on using air pots (7 gallon) with promix. I plan to start them in my germination tray, then move to dixie cups, then milk jugs, then 7 gallon air pots. The autos I would start in the air pots. I'd soak for 24 hours, then plant directly in the soil, tip up, with a pinch of soil on top to cover it.

I'm trying to follow the nutrient schedule for soil with the fox farms liquid nutrient trio. Is that all I need? I started getting what looked like a calmag deficiency early on. That could also be because I was using distilled water, which I basically have to have shipped to me. Is tap alright?

Are any of my plans less than ideal? Please correct the heck out of me, and thank you for your time

Gen3

Gen3

Google is your friend. Research any questions you have, there is too much information to give you a brief statement. decide your light wattage then search youtube to get an idea of what your goal size grow looks like. ie: if you decide on 4000 watts, search 4000 watt grow on youtube and watch every video. This will give you an idea of what your goal size grow looks like in terms of equipment, then research from there. Remember the environmental goals are: temp, humidity, air flow, co2 levels, light coverage, and cleanliness. your budget ok $1k may make it tough but maybe plan out your grow in a somewhat modular way that allows you to easily add equipment later as money becomes available.

Dan789

Dan789

Hey @GrowBeyond, you’ll need to be taking small steps till you sort out the “growing thing” conspcept you’ve gotten ahold off. Using your budget of $1000; get a tent then figure out if it’s better to grow off season as a/c can cost as much as lighting.
Then read up on this, you can’t go into all the ideas you’ve got going on without a solid background, where you have none. Good reading and welcome.

Top Bottom