First time rdwc any tips?

• Thread starter NairnM16
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NairnM16

NairnM16

I’m making the switch from coco to dwc,
I feel like I’ve done enough research to have a full understanding of the system, but I’d love some personal experience from people who are actively using rdwc systems,
All feedback or advice welcome

NairnM16

NairnM16

Over build. That way you only buy once.
The main system is built, need to buy a pump to change out the water, I have a 120L res connected to my head bucked, do I nute the res or the head bucket and keep the res clean water and add top up nutes daily to head bucket?
I have an understanding of the system but it’s the small things that u can’t find on forms nd shit I think about

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The main system is built, need to buy a pump to change out the water, I have a 120L res connected to my head bucked, do I nute the res or the head bucket and keep the res clean water and add top up nutes daily to head bucket?
I have an understanding of the system but it’s the small things that u can’t find on forms nd shit I think about
When mixing nutes calculate the volume of actual water the system holds. Shut the circulating pump off. Add nutrients in the proper order to the test and mix then ph down to desired ph.

Ppm will be a little higher then intended until it mixes with the rest of the system. This prevents exposing the plants to concentrated nutes, ph adjusters and large swings of ph, salinity etc that can shock them or damage them.

How many sites are you growing in?

Use a pump that is about 10x the gph of the volume of the sites combined. Eg 4 5gal sites. 20gal x 10x change over per hour would be 200gph. Beyond 4 sites you will want to increase the flow (gph).

Suggest atleast 2" return lines.

You want an air pump that match the total volume required by the air stones. So say 6 4x2 cylindrical air stone run about 5-8lpm each so 6 would be around 40lpm middle ground. So an air pump of 600 to 700 goh would be perfect.

Something like this.
Eco Plus 728450 Eco Air1 Commercial Air Pump 1-18 Watt Single Outlet, 6 Valve Manifold for Aquarium, Fish Tank, Fountain, Pond & Hydroponics, 793 GPH, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JLJC0W/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_M6XGJ3YE00C2W246QVKM

NairnM16

NairnM16

When mixing nutes calculate the volume of actual water the system holds. Shut the circulating pump off. Add nutrients in the proper order to the test and mix then ph down to desired ph.

Ppm will be a little higher then intended until it mixes with the rest of the system. This prevents exposing the plants to concentrated nutes, ph adjusters and large swings of ph, salinity etc that can shock them or damage them.

How many sites are you growing in?

Use a pump that is about 10x the gph of the volume of the sites combined. Eg 4 5gal sites. 20gal x 10x change over per hour would be 200gph. Beyond 4 sites you will want to increase the flow (gph).

Suggest atleast 2" return lines.

You want an air pump that match the total volume required by the air stones. So say 6 4x2 cylindrical air stone run about 5-8lpm each so 6 would be around 40lpm middle ground. So an air pump of 600 to 700 goh would be perfect.

Something like this.
Eco Plus 728450 Eco Air1 Commercial Air Pump 1-18 Watt Single Outlet, 6 Valve Manifold for Aquarium, Fish Tank, Fountain, Pond & Hydroponics, 793 GPH, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JLJC0W/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_M6XGJ3YE00C2W246QVKM
I have 8x36l buckets
I got the Alien kit came with a pond air pump

I couldn’t be bothered drilling my own wholes don’t trust my plumbing skills

but that’s all set up ready to go under a lumiteck zues 600w pro 2.9

im gonna order another light soon

planing to put the clones down in next week or 2 letting the mother veg out

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I’m finding less is better on the air pump front.

I put mine on a timer 10 min every 6 hr. just enough to stir the tote a bit.

A return waterfall would probably be enough but looking to stir the tote.

A waterfall in each would also work but would this not be defeating the volume actually making back to the res, just a stoner moment.

stltoed

stltoed

I’ll I still need to get is my chiller and drain pump, also wanna get the blue lab ph ppm meter for outside my tent
I grow in Southern California in a shed and have had major issues with heat and have more or less overcome them. I use an inline fan to cool my water. It will cool by 10F normally, but it only gets better the hotter and drier the climate.

stltoed

stltoed

I'm a huge fan of air in my water. Not only ones it oxygenate, but also helps the nutrients migrate through a root ball. I use a 60LPM and have used an 80 in the past. Doesn't sound too crazy, but my rig only has 2 17 gallon pots
pots

Last edited:
NairnM16

NairnM16

I'm a huge fan of air in my water. Not only ones it oxygenate, but also helps the nutrients migrate through a root ball. I use a 60LPM and have used an 80 in the past. Doesn't sound too crazy, but my rig only has 2 17 gallon
pots
I’m not actually too sure what my pump nd air pump are capable of, I have this system here

6FE639D1 4814 4D46 9435 34C383EAFCE1
NairnM16

NairnM16

Are those 6 or 8 inch net cups?

Looks cool.
I believe 8”

the only thing still on my mind is the strength of advanced nutes, I’ve calculated my system for half the strength nd I’m gonna bump it up depending on feedback from the plants,

but do I pre mix my nutes outside the system then add it in or do I shut off the circulating pump and mix in my head bucket?
Wouldn’t that be to much for the first plants in system,

I get it would only be high ppm until the whole system mixed,
But I worry about that small 10 mins in concentrated nutes
Or am I just over thinking the system

stltoed

stltoed

I believe 8”

the only thing still on my mind is the strength of advanced nutes, I’ve calculated my system for half the strength nd I’m gonna bump it up depending on feedback from the plants,

but do I pre mix my nutes outside the system then add it in or do I shut off the circulating pump and mix in my head bucket?
Wouldn’t that be to much for the first plants in system,

I get it would only be high ppm until the whole system mixed,
But I worry about that small 10 mins in concentrated nutes
Or am I just over thinking the system
I just put it in my res, give it aquick mix with my stirrin' stick then turn on the return pump. You may want to start with partial doses to make sure you don't over do it, but its no big deal if you do, you can pul nutrient water out and replace it with fresh RO, till you have the right concentration

NairnM16

NairnM16

I just put it in my res, give it aquick mix with my stirrin' stick then turn on the return pump. You may want to start with partial doses to make sure you don't over do it, but its no big deal if you do, you can pul nutrient water out and replace it with fresh RO, till you have the right concentration
I never thought of that, I just thought once it was in it was in, that makes sense just take out some mixed and add more ph Ro water till in desired range, work out how much water I added nd take that off my feed chart for next time,

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I’m finding less is better on the air pump front.

I put mine on a timer 10 min every 6 hr. just enough to stir the tote a bit.

A return waterfall would probably be enough but looking to stir the tote.

A waterfall in each would also work but would this not be defeating the volume actually making back to the res, just a stoner moment.
I run a current culture 13 gal 4 sites using a 48 lpm air pump and cut that back with the cc air flow regulator (less is more) and it works for me
Screenshot 20211021 093627 Google

stltoed

stltoed

I never thought of that, I just thought once it was in it was in, that makes sense just take out some mixed and add more ph Ro water till in desired range, work out how much water I added nd take that off my feed chart for next time,
Just be sure to take notes so you can find you "mix" again. I use mono-silicic acid Silica. It's really finicky and with "fight" with other elements if not mixed properly. RO water is a must here.

But when doing a nute change mid season can be a problem. The water, roots, and other things are covered with the last nutrient water. As my auto fill valve fills my system with new RO its pushing the old water back into the tubs, everything upstream to the res has a positive current to it. The res and new water are clean and ready to mix new nutrients. Calcium and micro nutes can have issues with other nutrients also and should be added first/second. But if using Silica its always first... it just good practice.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Fertilizer easier to go up than down.

The turbulence or whatever definitely was slowing things .

Just the root growth alone after stopping was enough for me.

Now it used as an agitator .

NairnM16

NairnM16

I’ve got a 120L res attached to my head bucket that I’m using for holding my Ro water
That’s attached to a float flood system so when my water levels drop the system fills up with Ro water slowly lowering my ppms threw the week creating a higher metabolism for the plants

I was gonna keep my ppms low nd focus on metabolism so my plants are up taking more nutrients

any tips on how to do this more efficiently?

NairnM16

NairnM16

I was thinking like max 600/700 ppm for flower and keep it around 250 early veg work up to 3/400 late veg

Or I get co2 involved nd we go all the way to 1500 what do use think

stltoed

stltoed

I’ve got a 120L res attached to my head bucket that I’m using for holding my Ro water
That’s attached to a float flood system so when my water levels drop the system fills up with Ro water slowly lowering my ppms threw the week creating a higher metabolism for the plants

I was gonna keep my ppms low nd focus on metabolism so my plants are up taking more nutrients

any tips on how to do this more efficiently?
You should talk to @Aqua Man about metabolism, and the correlation between temps and light output. Some good stuff there

Latest posts

Top Bottom