First time RDWC, needing a bit of help.

• Thread starter Avg_Dad_Grows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Avg_Dad_Grows

Avg_Dad_Grows

Last week the bottom leaves started yellowing and I felt like it was potentially nitrogen deficiency. The temps stay 82-85f, humidity 60%, water 68f, ppm 400 (with 160-200ppm starting tap water).
So this weeks res change I upped the nutrients to just under what the bottle called for and it seems like it may have made it worse.
Here’s my current pics and environmental numbers. Any help or follow up questions would be welcomed.

First time rdwc needing a bit of help
First time rdwc needing a bit of help 2
First time rdwc needing a bit of help 3
First time rdwc needing a bit of help 4
First time rdwc needing a bit of help 5
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Can you get RO or distilled and try your nutrient line with it at 1/2 suggested dosage.

Do not listen to this next comment, im more less speaking outloud for those better than me. Could be lack of K and too much N? I would say you got plenty of calcium and nitrogen, and your overfeeding it. Unless, its a root uptake issue, since theres multiple deff. I would say turn light up, but your node spacing says its perfect. New growth is fine, old growth cannot sustain. Im still learning how to diagnose leaf issues, so i could be completely wrong.

Pictures of roots? Environment and water specs, ph, ppm, rh, temps, nutrient line, what type of rdwc, Time started, lux (google play)

My undersink ro kit was 55$ and has filtered over 500 gallon and is still at 12 ppm.

Update just looked at your current ppms. Did you use 1/2 the suggested dosage on your nutrient line? Also i veg in 200ppm for first two weeks and 300ppm for the rest of veg. Flower im sitting at 600, but thats just because of an additive for flower i use. Without it, im at 300 still lol. . "Massive" adds 300-600ppm lol. .its ridiculous.

Last edited:
Avg_Dad_Grows

Avg_Dad_Grows

Ok, I appreciate the guidance. I drained and cleaned the system. I made my system to mimic the current culture system and the gentleman, Gary, from PA Hydroponics. I’ll attach a picture.

it’s an 8 site system with a reservoir outside the tent. I have a chiller keeping the water 66*f.

I went to the store and got distilled water to fill the system. So started my ppm at 0 , I then added my nutrients the way prescribed by the company. I’m using Ventana Plant Sciences line. After nutrients and hydroguard, it’s sitting at 320 ppm. It’s the third week of veg and I feel like I’ve stunted their growth pretty badly. So at this point, I’m just trying to get them healthy enough to make it through harvest.

im going to invest in a ro system, what brand are you using now that’s only 50$. I need roughly 30-40gallons a week.

the ppm the last 24hrs has been constant. The only fluctuating has been the ph. In 24hrs is gone from 5.8 to 6.7. I just ph downed the reservoir to 5.8 again.
Here’s some pictures to update.
temp 83f
Humidity - 57%
Par 400ish
Ppm 320

88335B55 FF81 4A71 B1C1 89A4348F2D33
298A39BE 3960 4141 8726 37B10A1EA21A
9826AFAC 7C38 4237 BD30 1B0A7990EC96
A676F16D 8B44 4605 90A5 B66837E574BD
5989BA89 67D4 4BF0 B438 14A65BECD8F2
4516741D 3F38 4082 856E C3C590C5483D
E282DE93 A188 4CB6 8854 62D8C69D021A
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

I would have water dripping in through rings in the top at such an early stage and let the roots grow in their baskets making them nice and strong until the roots start dropping to the water below.

Good luck with it though, will follow! :)

Avg_Dad_Grows

Avg_Dad_Grows

Just updating for future reference:

The water line before was definitely too high. It sits now about an inch or inch and a half below the net pots. This allowed the roots to search for the moist environment where as they were being drowned before hand. Seems like common sense now, but a learning experience for me 😅. I was over feeding before as well. Before the distilled water change out I dipped the girls roots in a h2o2 solution of 2.5tsp of 3% in 1 gal of distilled water. I let them sit for roughly 10 minutes. Sprayed with a solution of hydro guard on the root zones and then back into the system to dry out while it filled.

Random thought: * I wonder if I could inoculate the root zone with recharge by dipping the roots in a solution with the res changes. I feel like it wouldn’t be as easy in late flower, however early on it could be a method to keep healthy microbes in a rDWC system.

Anyways, here’s what they are looking like now. Back on track!

43C9130C E045 484B 9E09 AB6C0593718C
6AD0E29A DF5B 4AFD 871A CDF70145CB96
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Just updating for future reference:

The water line before was definitely too high. It sits now about an inch or inch and a half below the net pots. This allowed the roots to search for the moist environment where as they were being drowned before hand. Seems like common sense now, but a learning experience for me 😅. I was over feeding before as well. Before the distilled water change out I dipped the girls roots in a h2o2 solution of 2.5tsp of 3% in 1 gal of distilled water. I let them sit for roughly 10 minutes. Sprayed with a solution of hydro guard on the root zones and then back into the system to dry out while it filled.

Random thought: * I wonder if I could inoculate the root zone with recharge by dipping the roots in a solution with the res changes. I feel like it wouldn’t be as easy in late flower, however early on it could be a method to keep healthy microbes in a rDWC system.

Anyways, here’s what they are looking like now. Back on track!
I am rdwc also. My water goes about 1/3rd up the netpot fully submerging all roots. I actually place a tap rooted seed into rockwool, and keep the bottom 10% of the rockwool under water. This allows me to avoid top feeding.

I guess when you say the roots will drown or need to search for water, I do the exact opposite and they grow so fast. My Fallponics might help with the wicking as the surface being wicked up should be aerated well, combine that with the rockwools natural aeration ability... Well it works great for me. Once the leafs have opened I can fully submerge the rockwool.

My thoughts are the bbs will be able to make a home there easier. I feel this would promote new root growth.

Imma say your bbs fixed it :) I bet if you raised the level you would be fine. For me I want as much water in my system as possible, less fluctuations... Less maintenance. Conrad's on your success!! Keep it up bud

20210729 173005
Avg_Dad_Grows

Avg_Dad_Grows

What's you ph? I didn't see it mentioned?
It was swinging almost daily from 5.8 to 6.5, after changing out the source water and covering the white pvc 3in pipes I have between the reservoirs it only has been going up by .1 a day or so. Which I feel is much better. My ppms have remained constant, until today where it dropped by 10. All normal I believe.

Avg_Dad_Grows

Avg_Dad_Grows

I am rdwc also. My water goes about 1/3rd up the netpot fully submerging all roots. I actually place a tap rooted seed into rockwool, and keep the bottom 10% of the rockwool under water. This allows me to avoid top feeding.

I guess when you say the roots will drown or need to search for water, I do the exact opposite and they grow so fast. My Fallponics might help with the wicking as the surface being wicked up should be aerated well, combine that with the rockwools natural aeration ability... Well it works great for me. Once the leafs have opened I can fully submerge the rockwool.

My thoughts are the bbs will be able to make a home there easier. I feel this would promote new root growth.

Imma say your bbs fixed it :) I bet if you raised the level you would be fine. For me I want as much water in my system as possible, less fluctuations... Less maintenance. Conrad's on your success!! Keep it up bud
Yea, it could be just the water starting or at 0ppm as well as the nutrients being on point now to be honest. I lowered my water line due to what was looking like root rot, I wanted to dry the medium out a little bit. Since then the roots just shot down looking for that misty air and water so I left it alone 😅. So far so good, a few days away from a reservoir change.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I keep mine 1" below and top up daily. But I would rather have it higher than lower. In soil roots search put water in hydro they can air prune and damage giving a vector for infection.

I'm with @Cashmeh once the roots hit the water you can raise it up the net pot and it's a good way to ensure roots have contact with inoculants

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

It was swinging almost daily from 5.8 to 6.5, after changing out the source water and covering the white pvc 3in pipes I have between the reservoirs it only has been going up by .1 a day or so. Which I feel is much better. My ppms have remained constant, until today where it dropped by 10. All normal I believe.
Update?

Avg_Dad_Grows

Avg_Dad_Grows

I’m finishing up week 7 of flower now. The system is amazing once I got a handle on my environment. I kept them in veg like they were soil plants and they got too big on me. It’s ok, next round will be better. So 4 of the Northern lights are on the right and 2 Royal Gorillas are on the left.
87B05759 4D60 4827 996E DA1F19C63729

02403A8A 5426 4D69 97E3 FCA1AF97C88E
59060BD2 B1DA 4F82 93EF E681E0A5D8A0
AFEC7CDE 792B 463B B2E9 EC999BD0BD6D
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Your plants are revegging, id cut them down now. They will just become more stemmy and leafy if you dont.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I’m finishing up week 7 of flower now. The system is amazing once I got a handle on my environment. I kept them in veg like they were soil plants and they got too big on me. It’s ok, next round will be better. So 4 of the Northern lights are on the right and 2 Royal Gorillas are on the left. View attachment 1197840
Your plants that is

Top Bottom