• Thread starter Flowerpower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Flowerpower420

Good evening folks,
As title suggests im thinking of doing my next grow as sog,

Tent size - 5x5ft or 1.5x1.5m
Light - 645w LED Gavita 1700E. (1000w) HPS equivalent.

Coco/perlite 70/30

Ive never sogged before only low plant numbers and long veg time to grow big trees but requires a long veg to fill tent space but i now require a faster turnover than every 4-5 month between harvesting.

With tent size, super strong light i would like to think i could pull atleast 30oz per grow with a high yeilding strain of maximum 700g per m2 (Mimosa Evo x Orange punch). Now with my current scrog would require 7.5oz per plant, which takes alot of time and training to achieve that from 4 plants.

Am i right in thinking that for example: 20 small plants with 1-2 week veg then flip would easily yeild 1.5oz in coco using say 5l airpots which should still yeild more than the 30oz but alot quicker yes??? As asking 20 plants to produce 1.5 each has got to be easier then asking 4 plants to produce 7.5 each for the same yeild.

Im a little confused on how many plants aswell as pot sizes for the tent size and light for type of result.

Is there a limit on plant numbers, pot size vs light wattage etc etc. Im a little confused and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated foks!

Im wanting to try air pots in this grow as ive always had standard black squared plastic ones.

Also if plant numbers are high enough, Would i be able to even miss out veg phase altogether and utilise the flowering " Stretch" to get them big enough to produce 1.5oz each?

Would 2x large Exhale bags hanging above the light be of any use or not?

sorry for the multiple questions guys...

Cheers in advance!

Peace out ✌️

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

I've seen everything from solo cups to 5 gallon buckets used in sog.

The main dictator of plant number and pot size is how long you plan to veg.
The longer you veg, the bigger the pot you will need and the less plants you need to fill your area.
Watering is also a concern, if the pots are too small you will be watering all the time.

I would aim for half gallon pots, veg for 2 weeks and then flip. Give each plant about 10 inches and you should be good. But that's me and my reasoning. Hope this helps!

F

Flowerpower420

Awesome guys thanks for your replies 😀.

From what ive read, A proper "Sog" is atleast 1 plant per square foot upto a maximum of 2.2 plants per square foot.

Which would be a minimum of 25 small plants in a 1.5mx1.5m tent.

I would also be using clones so all the plants grow and stretch in a uniform manner. Thing is i honestly think 25 plants is going to be way way to much to handle as im manually watering and dont use a runoff table so every single plant would have to be removed and runoff individually discarded after ever feed.

I eas hoping to come up with a plan to basically eliminate veg completely as the high plant numbers plus the flowering stretch "Should" get them big enough to hold some bud weight but might be a little harder to achieve than previously thought.

Thanks for commenting guys 👍

BigCube

BigCube

Managing a scrog with a 2 plant per sq ft setup is not for the feint of heart. Problems with airflow, mildew or various other problems occur a lot more as the foliage density of your canopy goes up.

If I was to start my first sog right now in a 5x5 I would most likely go with a 5x5(25) plant setup or a 6x6(36) plants.

If you plan on putting clones straight in to flower, pot size doesnt really matter, solo cups would be enough. But for ease of watering and maintaining I would suggest half gallon pots or like dirtbag said 1 gallon pots 3/4 full.

You could do more per sq ft, but if this is your first sog, that would be asking for trouble IMO.

2Bad

2Bad

From what ive read, A proper "Sog" is atleast 1 plant per square foot upto a maximum of 2.2 plants per square foot.

I would also be using clones so all the plants grow and stretch in a uniform manner. Thing is i honestly think 25 plants is going to be way way to much to handle as im manually watering and dont use a runoff table so every single plant would have to be removed and runoff individually discarded after ever feed.

I eas hoping to come up with a plan to basically eliminate veg completely as the high plant numbers plus the flowering stretch "Should" get them big enough to hold some bud weight but might be a little harder to achieve than previously thought.

I am currently finishing a sea of green 17 1 gallon plants and 2 3 gallon plants. I’d say the 3 gallons wins because less watering and bigger buds. And I’m manually watering twice a day and emptying run off I’m so fuckin burnt out don’t do it. If you do a sea of green do soil and dry amendments. Way less watering.

BigCube

BigCube

I am currently finishing a sea of green 17 1 gallon plants and 2 3 gallon plants. I’d say the 3 gallons wins because less watering and bigger buds. And I’m manually watering twice a day and emptying run off I’m so fuckin burnt out don’t do it. If you do a sea of green do soil and dry amendments. Way less watering.

Yeah bigger pots means bigger plants and less watering 👍

Personally I opt for scrog. 1 plant in a 3x3 in a 3gal pot. Usually yields me just over an lb.

F

Flowerpower420

Yeah thats whats putting me off, 25 small pots in coco manual watering seems like a full time job! I can just imagine after 2 weeks i will be sick of my life and wishing i hadn't bothered. Unless i can get a dripper system and runoff drain table setup then i think i will stick to lower plant numbers and bigger pots to keep it manageable untill i can upgrade.

F

Flowerpower420

Yeah bigger pots means bigger plants and less watering 👍

Personally I opt for scrog. 1 plant in a 3x3 in a 3gal pot. Usually yields me just over an lb.
Wow man! Im rethinking....My thoughts are now 5 plants in 20L airpots, 2x scrog nets with 3.5" holes, 6-8 week veg and flip. Im hoping the bigger pots will alow me to water less frequently (once per day) whilst still gaining coco results as the airpots "Should" allow a good air/water ratio in the pots for maximum growth and yeild. Ive never done this so its all speculation and i will keep you all posted on the grow and results 😁

2Bad

2Bad

Wow man! Im rethinking....My thoughts are now 5 plants in 20L airpots, 2x scrog nets with 3.5" holes, 6-8 week veg and flip. Im hoping the bigger pots will alow me to water less frequently (once per day) whilst still gaining coco results as the airpots "Should" allow a good air/water ratio in the pots for maximum growth and yeild. Ive never done this so its all speculation and i will keep you all posted on the grow and results 😁
Oh for sure once every other day even. They get thirstier as they go so you’ll be feeding twice a day probably end of flower

B

BadFish_Genetics

You can use those turkey drain pans that cost.25 cents each, works as a drain catch and would save u mad time on draining after watering. Get a shop vac and suck up the run off and you would be done in mere minutes. Just my opinion.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I've planned to try a Dutch SOG. It's been a dream of mine for ever.

5x5
2 31 gallon dwc resevoirs. 8 sites per tub.

IMG 20220925 105718
2Bad

2Bad

You can use those turkey drain pans that cost.25 cents each, works as a drain catch and would save u mad time on draining after watering. Get a shop vac and suck up the run off and you would be done in mere minutes. Just my opinion.
Still a pain . I did 17- 1 gallon plants I know the pain. I have now switched to dry amendments cus f that s

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Pain is the surest way to force you to rethink an idea.

I just changed out 2 18gal containers. Screw that.

For SOG I've read clones of the same strain(monocrop) could be packed in with 5 inches between plants. And once rooted, throw immediately in the flower room. All cola, all same height, all the same nutes.

Some inspiration..

D

D_G

If you go SOG, get a drip watering system. You do not want to water them by hand daily haha. And I would go even smaller than what has been nominated, maybe 1.5 liter per plant if 25 plants per 1.5m x 1.5m. Bigger pots doesnt mean bigger buds unless you can water only once a day.

E

ET12SECOND

some girls love to be restrained :) I built a 4x8 assemble and weaved my net. The squares are adjustable which makes it really easy to make adjustments. I do one layer but weave the plant into the net during veg makes for a nice carpet of similar buds

Nets
Scrog
Top Bottom