First time tent grower. Need help!

• Thread starter Hbennett
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hbennett

Hey everyone. This is going be my first time growing in a tent. I've got a 96x96x 78 tent and I have 2 1000watt hps grow lights. I plan on using soil and was wondering what's the best number of plants I should grow in a tent this size with these two lights. I'm trying to get as much yield as I can get. Plot size and anything will help. Still learning as I go so anything and everything helps. I appreciate all advice. Thank you for your time and hope you have a great day! P.s. posted photos of the lights and tent.

First time tent grower need help
First time tent grower need help 2
H

Hbennett

2 1ks is alot of heat in that tent,your gonna need some fans and ducting and a good supply of fresh air.Whats your plan for a grow?
So far I have 4 clip on fans and 3 floor fans and an extraction fan for fresh air. The lights come with a aircool reflector kit for them and the tent came with a whole ventilation system. Was thinking about just doing 12 plants. Trying to get the most yield I can

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

Thanks I'll take the advice and try 3 gallon. Get a good yield from the 6 plants under 1 1000w hps?
If this is your first time try aiming for a 5 gallon. That should get you a decent yield for the amount of power you got. I agree with @Phylex, 12 plants.

The yield depends on how long you keep your plants in 18/6 before you switch to 12/12.

Do you have any ideas on what strain you will be growing?

H

Hbennett

If this is your first time try aiming for a 5 gallon. That should get you a decent yield for the amount of power you got. I agree with @Phylex, 12 plants.

The yield depends on how long you keep your plants in 18/6 before you switch to 12/12.

[/QUO
Northern lights and blue dream

Phylex

Phylex

Thanks I'll take the advice and try 3 gallon. Get a good yield from the 6 plants under 1 1000w hps?

I'd say I got a decent yield considering it was my first grow, the learning curve, and the issues I had to work through. I don't know what your expectations are on yield though or what you consider to be good. Here's a link to the grow journal. I linked page 7. The over all dried yield, is down toward the bottom on this page.

Last edited:
Phylex

Phylex

Nothing wrong with 5 gallon pots either as suggested. I just use 3

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

So far I have 4 clip on fans and 3 floor fans and an extraction fan for fresh air. The lights come with a aircool reflector kit for them and the tent came with a whole ventilation system. Was thinking about just doing 12 plants. Trying to get the most yield I can
I personally try to get the least yield I can but to each their own I guess :p
My advice is forget that whole “how much can I get” that will get you in trouble (less yield lol) just fill up that big ass space with nice healthy plants. I wouldn’t use a ton of fancy products or techniques ifn I was you. IMO your setup is far too large for just learning but if you keep it ultra simple you won’t waste a shitload of power and time. My first setup was a 400 w hps in a 2x3 ish space. Now I use a 5x5 tent and a 3.5x6 veg and fantasize about having room for a nice tent like yours. Not trying to discourage you, just keep it simple for this big of a undertaking.

FTCG

FTCG

I would fill the tent up with 4 x 600w hps, with 9 plants per light, aiming for around 60-70 grams per plant.

It's basically a plant every square foot, centered under each 600w. Give the plants a little space in betweed each group of 9 plants.

Much more even distrubution then 2 1000w bulbs. And this would allow for raised light so it would be easy to get into the tent.

And you can get your lights closer to the plants increasing their efficiency.

The growth should be much more even than with 2 1000w's.

If I was to use 2 1000w's, I would get 2 adjust-a-wing large reflectors, with super spreaders, and an 8 inch inline fan for exhaust. The reflectors have a 96% reflectivity, and are meant for 5'5" x 7'5". This would be some very uniform growth you would see, and as efficiency goes, most other reflectors only give out 86% of the light reflected off them. Extra 10% light coming off the reflectors, as well as reducing the temps of the center hotspot by splitting it in two for each adjust-a-wing.

Another benefit is not losing 7% of light through the glass, and further loss from the actual cooling of the bulbs from the air cooled reflectors.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

If that tent is made like their 2x4x6..I would pass and find a better brand. I returned the one I bought after 1 day. Very cheap zippers and cloth. When a vendor packages instructions on opening a zipper..run for it..LOL

FTCG

FTCG

If that tent is made like their 2x4x6..I would pass and find a better brand. I returned the one I bought after 1 day. Very cheap zippers and cloth. When a vendor packages instructions on opening a zipper..run for it..LOL
A lot of the early tents were put together horribly. I had 3, 4'x4' tents where all the poles rusted right through and fused to the connector parts. Same with my expensive $1500 5'x10' INT150 tent.

Hopefully Gorilla has improved upon this. Gave up on the tents as they were all falling apart on me.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

My Quintesent was bought and returned only 7 months ago, and replaced with a Unit Farm 2x4x6. It is almost an exact knockoff of the Gorillas..cloth, zippers, and poles are great. IMO Gorilla is way overpriced, but a good tent. When I returned it, the company implied that I didn't know how to properly open/close a zipper! I reminded them that I am a Dude! LMFAO

FTCG

FTCG

I just checked them out, their dual chamber looks great for $200 Canadian.

I build rooms now instead of tents.

Just seal it, prime it, paint a nice high gloss white all over, hang lights, set up electrical or plug into a dryer outlet. Waterproof the floor and throw an AC or water-cooled air chiller.

Good to go.

H

Hbennett

I just checked them out, their dual chamber looks great for $200 Canadian.

I build rooms now instead of tents.

Just seal it, prime it, paint a nice high gloss white all over, hang lights, set up electrical or plug into a dryer outlet. Waterproof the floor and throw an AC or water-cooled air chiller.

Good to go.
It be nice to be able to not use a tent and just use basement cause I have 7 1/2 foot ceilings in basement and alot of room but I can't have the smell escaping through the ceiling to the rest the house or outside cause the neighbors would smell. If there was a way to make the whole basement not smell I'd go that route. Really I'm just trying to get as close as I can to 10 pounds yield. IDC how many plants or what just gonna keep trying and working on it til I get it.

FTCG

FTCG

10lbs yield would need about 8-10 600w's. 4800-6000w's total.

A total of 72-90 plants 3'6"-4' tall.

This would require a secondary room 10'x10' for veg with a single 1000w, and a veg rack for clones.

2 weeks for clones, then 6 weeks for veg. Clones COULD be bought or made in a closet. And you can flower your 5-6 week vegged plants for 2-3 weeks as a pre-flower before moving them to the grow chamber.

The veg/clone/preflower room would need to be a 10'x10' room, and the flower room would need to be about 13'6"x 20'.

This would ensure you always have plants ready to go once you chop down.

It would also allow for fully mature harvests, counting 8 weeks from after the a 2-3 week stretch of your plants.

Lots of work but, ensures continous harvests of fully finished product.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I built my grow space from 1x2's, 2x2's, foil tape, durofoam and great stuff spray foam to seal the holes you cut to run wires and equipment cords/hoses. Cheap, easy, completely sealed, reflective and you can build it any dam size you want. I did a 2 space setup, 1 is the grow space the other is for equipment and the air is shared and circulated.

Last edited:
Phylex

Phylex

It be nice to be able to not use a tent and just use basement cause I have 7 1/2 foot ceilings in basement and alot of room but I can't have the smell escaping through the ceiling to the rest the house or outside cause the neighbors would smell. If there was a way to make the whole basement not smell I'd go that route. Really I'm just trying to get as close as I can to 10 pounds yield. IDC how many plants or what just gonna keep trying and working on it til I get it.

A 10lb. yield per harvest in the 8x8? Or any way possible?

Top Bottom