First time trimming, did I do it correclty?

• Thread starter shades
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shades

shades

<RainierWolfcastle> Upon closer inspection, these appear to be three cultivars </RainierWolfcastle>
Can anyone confirm or deny? I thought I initially had just two cultivars but I'm noticing one purple, one dark green, and one super frosty light green
Trim4
Trim3
Trim2
Trim1
Trim0

<Enhance>
I mean this is ridiculous for a sugar leaf off of that frosty one. You can't even see any green.
Sugarleaf2
Sugarleaf1
Sugarleaf0

My bad there is a *hint* of green in the top left of this last photo....

I have no idea what the genetics are, just some seeds I've been saving into a jar from high quality nugs I got that accidentally got pollinated.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone can visually identify what they /might/ be that'd be nice to know but I doubt that's possible without sending it off for a lab sample. All those companies require a minimum of a gram for a sample but you know that lab tech is busting off the smallest 0.001g of that flower and smoking the rest.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Nice man. Although it looks like there’s still a lot of clear trichomes. I think you could have waited a bit more.

And I would recognize that strain anywhere. Hands down without a doubt it’s Unicorn Kush. Just kidding, it’s not possible without a lab or lab test man sorry for the bad news.

shades

shades

Nice man. Although it looks like there’s still a lot of clear trichomes. I think you could have waited a bit more.

And I would recognize that strain anywhere. Hands down without a doubt it’s Unicorn Kush. Just kidding, it’s not possible without a lab or lab test man sorry for the bad news.

it’s not possible without a lab or lab test man sorry for the bad news. => Can't really say that's bad news when that was the expected response from the community.

Well, I did only harvest 6 out of the 9 tops. I am doing it in stages, since this is my first time doing this I read recommendations to do it at multiple stages of the harvest so that my 2nd harvest I will have a more refined pallet for what and when to harvest. Should there be no clear trichromes by the time amber ones start showing up? I see a few dots of amber here and there but mostly clear, how would it jump from clear to amber without getting cloudy?

More importantly how do you tell if it's cloudy or if that's just light refracting? Those two micro shots were from a sugar leaf in the trim tray and I read you're supposed to look at the nug to tell. How are there still clear trichromes week 12 and 13 of flower?? Aren't indicas usually 6 to 8 weeks of flowering and sativas 10 to 12 weeks of flowering?

I have harvested no more than 15%, 20% tops of the total harvest.

If my memory serves me correctly out of strains it /could/ be I definitely remember getting a bluedream x headband and a gorilla glue. If it's purple it must have kush genetics right? </NotSureIfSarcasm>

Is it safe to say they appear to be three different cultivars?

The light and dark green appear to have come from sativas but the purple definitely is shorter, stouter, and bushier, so I'm lead to believe it's an indica, that being said I'm even more surprised I'm going on 12/13 weeks with clear trichromes still.

I got pretty lit from one of those light green nugs that I just smoked earlier.

Is there any correlation between frostyness and THC content?
Would it be safe to say it's at least 15%? 20%?

From the end product pictured above can one determine what the quality of these genetics are? Rated on a 1 to 5 scale maybe? Barring any curing failures can one say that these flowers look at least above average?

shades

shades

You done a good job..

Awesome, time to copy this stuff into my resume portfolio so I can start applying for work in a field that demands more years of experience than it was legal to have. LoL.

<interviewer> We're looking for someone that has 5 years experience
<Me> But this has only been legal for a year in this state.
<interviewer> Yeah, and?.?.?

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

it’s not possible without a lab or lab test man sorry for the bad news. => Can't really say that's bad news when that was the expected response from the community.

Well, I did only harvest 6 out of the 9 tops. I am doing it in stages, since this is my first time doing this I read recommendations to do it at multiple stages of the harvest so that my 2nd harvest I will have a more refined pallet for what and when to harvest. Should there be no clear trichromes by the time amber ones start showing up? I see a few dots of amber here and there but mostly clear, how would it jump from clear to amber without getting cloudy?

More importantly how do you tell if it's cloudy or if that's just light refracting? Those two micro shots were from a sugar leaf in the trim tray and I read you're supposed to look at the nug to tell. How are there still clear trichromes week 12 and 13 of flower?? Aren't indicas usually 6 to 8 weeks of flowering and sativas 10 to 12 weeks of flowering?

I have harvested no more than 15%, 20% tops of the total harvest.

If my memory serves me correctly out of strains it /could/ be I definitely remember getting a bluedream x headband and a gorilla glue. If it's purple it must have kush genetics right? </NotSureIfSarcasm>

Is it safe to say they appear to be three different cultivars?

The light and dark green appear to have come from sativas but the purple definitely is shorter, stouter, and bushier, so I'm lead to believe it's an indica, that being said I'm even more surprised I'm going on 12/13 weeks with clear trichromes still.

I got pretty lit from one of those light green nugs that I just smoked earlier.

Is there any correlation between frostyness and THC content?
Would it be safe to say it's at least 15%? 20%?

From the end product pictured above can one determine what the quality of these genetics are? Rated on a 1 to 5 scale maybe? Barring any curing failures can one say that these flowers look at least above average?

Ok there’s a lot of questions here so I’ll take it a chunk at a time:

The plant will usually still be producing some clear trichomes right up to the end.
They go from clear to cloudy to amber.
The speed and interval is largely strain dependent.

I guess it takes time and experience to tell the difference. In certain light (Bright- my scope has a bright led) I find it easier.
Sometimes you see a little cloudiness forming in the clear trichome head before it goes fully cloudy.
Yes look at trichomes on calyx on leaves.
Some strains take a long time to mature and can produce a ton of clear trichs past week 12.
Normally yes. But some sativas can go up to and past 16 weeks flower before ready. Some sativas finish early some indices later. We are dealing with hybrids here and each strain is unique.

Some hazes can be purple. I’ve seen sativa land races show purple too if that helps.

Looks to be three different but two could be different phenotypes as well although same strain. Make sense?

All three are hybrids. Neither one is fully sativa or indica.

I can’t tell the thc % by looking. I can’t even tell accurately by smoking it. More trichs (frostiness) should mean more cannabinoids though.
You can pick early and still have psychoactive effects but if you wait until buds are mature you will see the difference.

No clue but looks like you did a good job. Enjoy what you harvested. Make a grow journal and start sharing your process and the people from the farm can help you out better.

Merry Christmas man!

shades

shades

Ok there’s a lot of questions here so I’ll take it a chunk at a time:

The plant will usually still be producing some clear trichomes right up to the end.
They go from clear to cloudy to amber.
The speed and interval is largely strain dependent.

I guess it takes time and experience to tell the difference. In certain light (Bright- my scope has a bright led) I find it easier.
Sometimes you see a little cloudiness forming in the clear trichome head before it goes fully cloudy.
Yes look at trichomes on calyx on leaves.
Some strains take a long time to mature and can produce a ton of clear trichs past week 12.
Normally yes. But some sativas can go up to and past 16 weeks flower before ready. Some sativas finish early some indices later. We are dealing with hybrids here and each strain is unique.

Some hazes can be purple. I’ve seen sativa land races show purple too if that helps.

Looks to be three different but two could be different phenotypes as well although same strain. Make sense?

All three are hybrids. Neither one is fully sativa or indica.

I can’t tell the thc % by looking. I can’t even tell accurately by smoking it. More trichs (frostiness) should mean more cannabinoids though.
You can pick early and still have psychoactive effects but if you wait until buds are mature you will see the difference.

No clue but looks like you did a good job. Enjoy what you harvested. Make a grow journal and start sharing your process and the people from the farm can help you out better.

Merry Christmas man!

I have a grow journal, it started out on a notepad, then I started putting it into a spreadsheet, but it got to be too much to measure everything I was measuring. I stopped weighing each plant after a while and am just measuring run off now. My paper notebook filled and i had to start writing on the back sides of the pages (it's a top flip notebook).

I'm in the process of designing myself an automated grow system that is going to make use of some of the same sensors that dramm or specmeters use which are not measuring total EC but individual ions of the individual elements. It'll be for personal use but I might make a commercial grade prototype that instead of purging the whole reservoir just adds the deficient nutrient to the reservoir, which will probably save a $hitton on water co$t$, but considering the cost of those sensors from dramm $XXX and specmeters $XXX the on-the-shelf cost of the unit will probably break into the $X,XXX making it only really affordable to commercial endeavors... Coupling that with infrared cameras to give a predator vision of the leaf canopy in addition to calculations based off those infrared cameras to adjust VPD to ideal levels is going to really make it a solid automation/logging system. Tis the dream anyway.

Do you guys think something like that would have a demand in the space? I know some (a lot?) of operations grow organic due reasons solely for the ease of pest management associated with it. The goal is to have a system you load up with your plants and water and nutrients and as the main NPK Ca Mg Su levels go down only those are mixed into the reservoir, and since they are being measured individually there would be no need for a purge, if one grows to excess then water is added to lower it. If you just had to worry about trellising and raising lights/changing light intensity wouldn't the quality of your life go up with your costs going down?

Looks to be three different but two could be different phenotypes as well although same strain. Make sense? =>

I haven't considered that but it makes complete sense actually, would be worth seeing if I can preserve these phenotypes. I'm more convinced they are two different phenotypes than strains actually now that you've mentioned it. I was listening to the podcast of how strawberry cough came to be and am looking at these flowers thinking I could maybe have a similar story budding with this phenotype.

Latest posts

Top Bottom