First timer facing rain and hurricane and no protection. Trichomes clear still. Harvest if?

• Thread starter radrichie61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
radrichie61

radrichie61

Good afternoon all, hope your day is going great. If you have a chance, any comments on my issues are welcome. Got the chance of big rains and hurricane ian. Also buds getting heavy and some drooping, just 2 so far. Got one supported with cheesecloth and string and the next day standing better and removed it. Then another started laying over a bit last night.
I never thought I would ever be this successful so I did not think to put out tomato cages or anything. I cannot put up anything to protect from rain. Not able to build a trellis system. Finally do you see any problems with the kolas currently?

If buds start drooping real low I can try to secure with poles somehow, I assume but I know to chop it if Ian comes, but what if a ton of rain is heading at me? Do I harvest even if not mature (pics included) . In the ground, not in pots. I have high rh here as I have mentioned previouly and don’t want to blow it now.

If y’all have no time to answer or I am asking to much, you don’t know how much I understand if you can’t answer.

Thanks for everything everyone.

ps nice rose. just got this cam and liked it.
23B10D95 62FC 4B6B 8AF9 694B3F496FEC
D85698C8 677A 4D41 959B 1977205C78BC
6EA22A65 C07C 4666 8329 8E6A0D6B42B2
F58349FA CD7C 40BA A9FE 5EFD3C7F9A83
921813FF C3DA 4107 AE30 86D2CF5D3819
A7E37E25 85D8 4B69 9E56 CC74306EA3F3
CC665E88 D81D 44C8 9B43 DC8934F1B295
EA60993B C239 46DB 98BE 6896711409FC
598CCDB1 0880 4B84 865F 7C833AE7BCA3
DBE72DD6 3882 4FF4 A5D7 8CFB3729FD50
0E358786 43A4 4BE0 A87F 6391D5FE8EBB
CF803444 2709 453F BF50 4E1D85FAD43C
36260EB3 AE8C 4EB3 8EA7 51B8B843EE09
3070CA8E 70B4 4175 9A6B BF51AFE4B59F

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Your plant looks to need another 1-2 weeks to go…maybe 3. It also looks like it’s about 4-5 ft tall. If you can put 4 stakes around it then wrap several layers of string around the plant that should be enough to support all the buds if/when they get wet. I’ve even run strings through a plant to opposite corner stakes to kind of corral it with string. IMO you should wait out the storm, shake off any water afterwards and try and get her another week or two. It’s looking good. Don’t panic. Early harvest is quite possibly the biggest mistake a new grower can make. I’ve done it and when I look back at bud pics of my early panicked harvest I just shake my head and say, “two more weeks dingus”. Good luck.

radrichie61

radrichie61

Your plant looks to need another 1-2 weeks to go…maybe 3. It also looks like it’s about 4-5 ft tall. If you can put 4 stakes around it then wrap several layers of string around the plant that should be enough to support all the buds if/when they get wet. I’ve even run strings through a plant to opposite corner stakes to kind of corral it with string. IMO you should wait out the storm, shake off any water afterwards and try and get her another week or two. It’s looking good. Don’t panic. Early harvest is quite possibly the biggest mistake a new grower can make. I’ve done it and when I look back at bud pics of my early panicked harvest I just shake my head and say, “two more weeks dingus”. Good luck.
I know. Want to hang until mid October. So basically I need to stake the branches and when I do, is there anything I should do to support buds. I am mostly worried about surviving heavy rain and effects on my stuff. I am so green at this and was just having some fun.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I know. Want to hang until mid October. So basically I need to stake the branches and when I do, is there anything I should do to support buds. I am mostly worried about surviving heavy rain and effects on my stuff. I am so green at this and was just having some fun.
Basically what Nashoba is suggesting is you build your own tomato cage around your plant. His suggestion is to stake 4 poles at 4 corners around the plant and to tie string around it so that you have a support structure for the branches. I would use wire rather than string as I feel the wire will help in supporting the 4 poles and will be a more durable structure but that's just me. He mentioned running string through the middle to support anything drooping in the middle but you can equate that to essentially screening the canopy. Hopefully those analogies help in constructing a plan for your plant to survive Hurricane Ian.

You can place the wire or string wherever you see any drooping or potential drooping and secure the flower.

radrichie61

radrichie61

Hey, I already talked about this but things are evolving. So…

Good evening and I hope everybody’s having a jamming night. I am a hobbyist in coastal North Carolina who threw some seeds in the ground and ended up with some pretty nice plants. They are right in my backyard behind several large bushes with neighbors all around. Right now they’re not in view, but if I put up any type of beach umbrella, clear plastic sheathing, or anything well, I just can’t do that. I don’t have any pictures from the last three days or so however the last time I took them I could tell they were not ready, at least from the stuff I’ve been reading everywhere. Several people confirmed saying about 2 to 3 weeks out.

So my predicament is, I can’t protect them from the rain, it’s looking like a whole bunch of rain is coming, I don’t think they’re ready yet, could use another couple weeks, but I’m gonna have to chop this weekend unless somebody has any ideas out there, I would sure love to hear it.

Again, there is no type of protection I can put in place.Here is my latest pics. I know that if I harvest early it’s not gonna be nearly what it could’ve been but it’s better to have something than nothing.

Pics above are from week 1, the very point in the ground to show location, the closeups are from about 2 weeks ago or a bit less. All the rest are from last week. Ok, I have a biology degree in fisheries, I study well, but trying to act like I know jack shit about this, I do not. But here I go, in the closeups too soon for sure. Trichomes look pretty clear. My latest bud picks show pistils clear but not Trichomes. From what I have read, pistils can indicate as well,just not as well, and the indicator is not color changing pistils, but when they change and start to curl in towards the inside.

Ok, hopefully that did not sound stupid and I know it is a simple question. Let the rain ruin it or cut early…

Thank you in advance, you guys rock. I just joined and I’ve already read a lot of posts and got a lot of information. If you’re on the East Coast, button down the hatches. Especially if you’re in the Outer Banks.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Hey rad, don’t panic and don’t chop early ahead of rainy weekend. Rain on buds does not automatically ruin them. Some plants are prone to bud rot no matter how much rain protection they get. Some get wet and you shake them off and they say “thanks” and keep on trucking. If they’ve been rained on and still show no bud rot or powdery mildew, you’ve probably got a mold resistant strain. Your biggest concern should be supporting wet buds that will blow in the wind. Keep your support strings or cables high on your branches and I suspect you’ll be good after the storm. Being in NC you probably know how nice the weather is the first few days after a tropical system moves through in early autumn. Good luck.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Hey rad, don’t panic and don’t chop early ahead of rainy weekend. Rain on buds does not automatically ruin them. Some plants are prone to bud rot no matter how much rain protection they get. Some get wet and you shake them off and they say “thanks” and keep on trucking. If they’ve been rained on and still show no bud rot or powdery mildew, you’ve probably got a mold resistant strain. Your biggest concern should be supporting wet buds that will blow in the wind. Keep your support strings or cables high on your branches and I suspect you’ll be good after the storm. Being in NC you probably know how nice the weather is the first few days after a tropical system moves through in early autumn. Good luck.
Dude no disrespect but we could get 10” rain and 125 mph winds his plant prolly needs protection

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Then maybe a compromise is in order. Consider chopping half just before the storm hits and hoping for the best with remaining plant after the storm. Ultimately it’s rad’s call.

radrichie61

radrichie61

They have certainly taken big hits of rain already, but not prolonged downpours. If you have never been in a hurricane, then brother, you ain’t seen rain, and if it moves through slowly, yikes. I like the trash can idea. Might be able to run with that.

Also, I have to travel for work this week and the next 2 and will not be home to tend 3 days/2 nights. So it’s a dilemma. Risk loss or chop,early. @Moshmen can you make any judgement calls on maturity from these couple pics?

That’s it, enough, I find myself rambling so I will stop. Thanks everyone.

028D47AC E6DE 46F4 82D2 B50EEE999151
4D980D8A 64EF 4376 9872 F38F393AE374
98354057 5A51 4557 8116 F2422A6E4E49
11B0738D 3B76 456D 8253 1AA56DD6DEF6
283F75FF 1357 469F A4A6 990F1F7A4F27
62264F86 9D2E 4FDE 878A C62954F9DE7B
385334AE 7521 460A 850B 3541C80539C5
ED2E9771 4546 418F A585 CAAA557AC38E

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Might want to think about growing in pots next year. 100 mile an hour winds and you will be lucky if your house is still there! I kind of doubt if a garbage can will! They are way early! Good luck!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Maybe they will be in the Lee Of the house. They look pretty close.

radrichie61

radrichie61

Might want to think about growing in pots next year. 100 mile an hour winds and you will be lucky if your house is still there! I kind of doubt if a garbage can will! They are way early! Good luck!
Yeah pots are in my plans but…

Hurricanes, I have been through over 70-75. I am 61 and my house has stared down everything so far. I live less than 2 miles from the beach and let’s just say, Damn. The shit gets big in a category 3. Stared down many 4’s but only hit by one in 42 years directly. A cat 4 is no fun. House still here and knock on wood for years to go.

The picture here is a storm called the Ash Wednesday Storm, not a hurricane even and these waves are real. Go to the NC historical archive and it is there.

This is where I call home. We are a bit wacko in the outer banks and always hunker down and surf the next day. This is what it looks like after most hurricanes. Pumping waves and offshore wind. Wooo hoooo.
69B2A99C FB69 4D24 9340 69B0AE970205

E49669F1 27CB 4DD3 A8D0 176CC1434027
grnmtn

grnmtn

We are not looking at much wind at all, only rain. And a lot possibly. I like the idea of trash cans to protect.
Thanks!
Just remember air flow is key. If you stop air circulation you could be making things worse? Just my 2 cents. It's a plant, it's supposed to get wet!

Reactions: TSD
Moshmen

Moshmen

They have certainly taken big hits of rain already, but not prolonged downpours. If you have never been in a hurricane, then brother, you ain’t seen rain, and if it moves through slowly, yikes. I like the trash can idea. Might be able to run with that.

Also, I have to travel for work this week and the next 2 and will not be home to tend 3 days/2 nights. So it’s a dilemma. Risk loss or chop,early. @Moshmen can you make any judgement calls on maturity from these couple pics?

That’s it, enough, I find myself rambling so I will stop. Thanks everyone.

View attachment 1286602View attachment 1286604View attachment 1286606View attachment 1286607View attachment 1286608View attachment 1286609View attachment 1286610View attachment 1286611
Hard really say but looks like a 1/2 weeks yet?

R

ritoMox

Pretty sure that the bug bit op good and deep. No doubt he'll be back bigger and better for years to come ✌️

Top Bottom