First UC grow! could use some help

• Thread starter Coloradofrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

Hey guys I am about to start my first under current grow and would like to get some advice/tips from some of the more experienced UCer's on these forums.

The Equipment
2 UCXL8's (only using 1 system to start with) , 2 Sunleaves Aqua Chill 132's, 2 600w setups in Radiant 8's. In a 4'x8' tent. No RO system just a tall boy dechlorinator.
I've decided to run my AK48's as it is my hardiest strain as well as the least "stretchy" in my lineup.

????
1. The more I read the more I find one of the more common mistakes is underestimating the growth these systems pump out. And since I'm already so limited on space I was considering only running 6 of the 8 buckets. What do you guys think?

2. Nutrients I know most swear by the KISS method in a UC system. I recently attended the Maximum Yield expo and have alot of nutrients at my disposal. Cyco, Advanced, H&G, Cutting Edge and Heavy 16 are the one's I am considering. What do you guys think?

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

The space you'll run out of is vertical, keep the 8 sites and plan for a trellis or two to hold them back early on and keep them up late in bloom.

The nutrients are up to you and what you feel like buying more of if the samples run dry. Definitely keep it simple either way. I go with a base, bud booster and root treatment product no matter what brand.

Rock and roll Colorabro.

T

tipper619sd

looking good Cfrost. I havent used any of the nutrients you have in this system but i did use H&G in my aeroponic system it was very nice. But like Rollin said nutes totally up to you and trust Rollin he has helped me out big time in my grow.

Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

The space you'll run out of is vertical, keep the 8 sites and plan for a trellis or two to hold them back early on and keep them up late in bloom.

The nutrients are up to you and what you feel like buying more of if the samples run dry. Definitely keep it simple either way. I go with a base, bud booster and root treatment product no matter what brand.

Rock and roll Colorabro.

So you don't think a silicate is necessary? Think I may rock H&G aqua flakes, Bud Xl and shooting powder. With GH Calimagic and Zone(more cost effective than roots excel).

Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

looking good Cfrost. I havent used any of the nutrients you have in this system but i did use H&G in my aeroponic system it was very nice. But like Rollin said nutes totally up to you and trust Rollin he has helped me out big time in my grow.

Thanks man

T

tipper619sd

sorry to jump in on your question but do you plan on using rocks in your buckets or clay. The rocks have a natural silicate in them already if your looking for that.

Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

sorry to jump in on your question but do you plan on using rocks in your buckets or clay. The rocks have a natural silicate in them already if your looking for that.

I can't get my hands on any hydroton right now so I'm going to be using Growstones.

T

tipper619sd

very cool i use growstones myself they work wonders. Hydroton gets everywhere and u have to worry about it getting in the pipe and clogging the pump.

sky high

sky high

I wish you well in your endeavor. A couple of "FWIW's"....

Zone and Roots Excel are not comparable products, FYI. Roots Excel promotes root growth, Zone basically sterilizes everything touching the roots. (it has chloramine in it, I believe)

With a chiller you may not need to use Zone at all.... (and I wouldn't use iit unless I needed to)

I'm guessing that many of the grow shows you've looked at that had massive growth in these types of systems were mulit-light systems with 1000 watt lights and vertical placement. Not to rain on the parade, but with 2 600's and only 37 watts per sq ft of top-lit light you are going to see far less growth/far slower growth/far less yield than the systeme being side-lighted with triangulted 1000 watt lamps. Even so...it's gonna get CROWDED in there.....

Watch for root rot. It's taken out some good grows...including 2 of mine. (That's why I'm back in dirt and lovin life, FWIW....)

best of luck

Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

I wish you well in your endeavor. A couple of "FWIW's"....

Zone and Roots Excel are not comparable products, FYI. Roots Excel promotes root growth, Zone basically sterilizes everything touching the roots. (it has chloramine in it, I believe)

With a chiller you may not need to use Zone at all.... (and I wouldn't use iit unless I needed to)

I'm guessing that many of the grow shows you've looked at that had massive growth in these types of systems were mulit-light systems with 1000 watt lights and vertical placement. Not to rain on the parade, but with 2 600's and only 37 watts per sq ft of top-lit light you are going to see far less growth/far slower growth/far less yield than the systeme being side-lighted with triangulted 1000 watt lamps. Even so...it's gonna get CROWDED in there.....

Watch for root rot. It's taken out some good grows...including 2 of mine. (That's why I'm back in dirt and lovin life, FWIW....)

best of luck

Hey man thanks for stopping by, I appreciate all the support. I'm not too worried about yield or anything like that, this more of a side project for me. I picked up these systems for practically nothing a cpl months back and they have been just sitting in my garage unused until now. But that being said everything I do I try to do right so I'm preparing for the worse and hoping for the best.

More questions
Is a top off rez needed? It seems to me as this is my first run that a top off rez would be counter productive as I am bound to make mistakes and correcting those mistakes would be easier w/o one.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Do yourself a favor and order some UC roots. It will preempt any rot issues your may encounter (and typically on your first run your going to overfeed and see some rot). The hundred bucks or so it will cost you could save you thousands.

Use that with any of the bases you mentioned. Like rollin said, a booster is going to help too (mostly to keep your time clock in check - they like to take their good ole time in the UC because of the amazing health and nutrient availability they enjoy.) And, don't forget the epsom and some cal-mag. Good luck man!

PS: forget about additives (silica, sugars, bio-stimulants, etc) are all going to not just be unnecessary in the UC, but will wreck your water chemistry.

sky high

sky high

If you aren't keying on yield..I personally would only do 4 plants in that space. (you can buy pvc and adjust the space between the buckets by cutting new peices if you so choose)

Not sure I'm followin ya on the top off res. Is this a stock system or are you modding it?

I personally loved the res on my system. I built it so it was outside the room....and had the continuous read pH/ppm/temp meter in it. Add-ins of water/nutes were easy. How would you check/monitor/add-in without one?

Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

Do yourself a favor and order some UC roots. It will preempt any rot issues your may encounter (and typically on your first run your going to overfeed and see some rot). The hundred bucks or so it will cost you could save you thousands.

Use that with any of the bases you mentioned. Like rollin said, a booster is going to help too (mostly to keep your time clock in check - they like to take their good ole time in the UC because of the amazing health and nutrient availability they enjoy.) And, don't forget the epsom and some cal-mag. Good luck man!

PS: forget about additives (silica, sugars, bio-stimulants, etc) are all going to not just be unnecessary in the UC, but will wreck your water chemistry.

Thanks man will do! I've planed on the epsom and cal mag just didnt know if I would need it or not cause most I see using are running RO water and I am not but if the time comes I do have it on hand.

If you aren't keying on yield..I personally would only do 4 plants in that space. (you can buy pvc and adjust the space between the buckets by cutting new peices if you so choose)

Not sure I'm followin ya on the top off res. Is this a stock system or are you modding it?

I personally loved the res on my system. I built it so it was outside the room....and had the continuous read pH/ppm/temp meter in it. Add-ins of water/nutes were easy. How would you check/monitor/add-in without one?

It is a stock system currently but I see that some add a "top off" rez that is kept at the same EC/PH as the system is so that as the system uses the water it is replenished with water that has already been treated.

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

I do my UC grows with manual add-backs in 5-gallon buckets. Keeps me in the game and lets me adjust things per day as the plants tell me what's good.

The only word of caution when doing this is to add things in very dilute and let it mix well before checking the meters. A sudden change in EC or pH can really burn the roots and destroy the crop, a somewhat common mistake made by noobs on here.

A res will simply remove you from having to do daily maintenance.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Properly transpiring plants in the UC will be using 1-3 gallons of water per site per day. We constantly top-off pure RO via float valve. You don't want your water levels changing all the time.

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

Properly transpiring plants in the UC will be using 1-3 gallons of water per site per day. We constantly top-off pure RO via float valve. You don't want your water levels changing all the time.

Properly in your case is 1kw lights (plural), CO2, Temperature, RH, EC and pH all being dialed.

Take away the abundance of light, CO2 and not having the best temperature or humidity and you're closer to the setup most of us are using as basement dwellers. You will not have similar growth rates or water usage.

I would be needing an extra month of veg, maybe more to get my cuttings to the size yours are and even then my stem girth wont match up.

T

tipper619sd

I am always in awe of DS and his grows he truly has everything dialed in. I'm waiting patiently and learning each and every day. Love thc farmer and all you farmers out there peace.

Coloradofrost

Coloradofrost

another question and some update pics

Just got everything installed and running. Gonna let it run for a cpl days to make sure everything is good to roll. Decided on just run 6 of the 8 sites to start off with, and went ahead and ordered the UC roots today per DS's advice.

????
Do you ever completely clean out the system, or is it just a continuous top off? If so how is the clean out accomplished?

DSCN1144
DSCN1145
DSCN1147
DSCN1148
DSCN1153
RollinEndough

RollinEndough

Hook a garden hose up to the gray fitting coming into the epicenter from the output of the pump. It came with a slip fitting to do this.

You need to drain the system out every 3-4 weeks minimal, no sooner than every 10 days though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom