Five or three gallon pots?

• Thread starter Growgod420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hotrod717

hotrod717

Depends on the autoflower. 3 gallon is usually plenty for most, except for the largest growing stains. Also need to consider your space and feeding.

chemistry

chemistry

If you have to move them around, then go for the smaller pot. I grew a nice auto last year in a 2 gallon builders bucket.

hotrod717

hotrod717

I've tried everything from a two liter soda bottle, 2 quart pot, 1 gal air pot, 3 gal bag, 3 gal air pot, and 5 gal bag. All require more of less of the same things. Water, nutrients or fertilizer and soil and/or cocoa coir. The larger the plant and the smaller the pot are going to require more waterings and attention. And vice versa. Larger pot and smaller plant are going to require less. I have some flowering autos in 1 gal air pots and will not do that again except for the smallest of autoflower strains. Daily waterings, feedings and attention. Most of the plants wanted more room. Although Stitches Love Potion seemed to do fine and is about 24" tall. That was with a healthy dose of blood and bone meal in soil mix, along with extra castings. 3 gallons is imho, the sweet spot.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Whats the best pot size for autoflowers?
I use 3 gal unless I'm vegging for 3-4 months.
I find 3 gal perfect..1 gal of water or feed every 3-4 days with about 10% run off when my temps are 78f +... easy to keep track when full gallons are used for each plant and once a week they get fed. If I use a 5 gallon pot it takes almost 2 gallons of water double the nute's & 4-5 days to dry out so they only get fed once every 9- 10 days with temps the same.
I like to water or feed when the soil is dry and the pot is light..with big heavy pots I find that harder to do.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use 3 gal unless I'm vegging for 3-4 months.
I find 3 gal perfect..1 gal of water or feed every 3-4 days with about 10% run off when my temps are 78f +... easy to keep track when full gallons are used for each plant and once a week they get fed. If I use a 5 gallon pot it takes almost 2 gallons of water double the nute's & 4-5 days to dry out so they only get fed once every 9- 10 days with temps the same.
I like to water or feed when the soil is dry and the pot is light..with big heavy pots I find that harder to do.

I find this to be my situation too. So I use 3 gallon nursery pots with pro mix hp or ocean forest or the like.

growsince79

growsince79

I find this to be my situation too. So I use 3 gallon nursery pots with pro mix hp or ocean forest or the like.
3 is enough for my style too. Of course some of today's auto flowers claim to grow a pound. In that's the case, I would go with the bigger pot.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Grew autos in 3 gal on the last run. Wish I would have done 5. Half the plants were ok in 3 the other half got root bound.
depends on the strain. Some were 4ft tall and could have used bigger!

Mr.G

crossfader

crossfader

Growing 2 autos in 2 gallon pots in a 2x2 tent. I may go to 3 gal next time, I'll have to see how this grow turns out.

coherent

coherent

You didn't mention if it was coco or soil. With coco smaller will work fine but you'll water/feed more often. 3gal seems to be the most widely recommend, but there are plenty of folks who say "the bigger the better!". It depends on your grow area size and grow climate too. I have problems keeping humidity up and the pot size with coco and daily watering allows me to keep the humidity at an acceptable level without using a humidifier (which is a bit of a pain). So it's kind of a personal choice based on your grow. I think a bit of trial and error will help you find your best choice. Try one of each at the same time with the same seeds and see which works best.

Top Bottom