Flavor doesn’t match aroma

• Thread starter SwoleGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

I’ve harvested 4 or 5 crops prior to this last one with no complaints. Grown with organic amendments each run, but this time I’m lacking flavor. Aroma is off the charts, but the flavor isn’t half of what the aroma is. The only things I did differently this run was use mammoth P during bloom, coconut water and let them hang dry @65F 65% rh for 14 days instead of 9-10 days as I did for previous crops.
I cured the same as always in grove bags with humidity in each bag ranging from 56%-64% and humidity inside room at 62%-65% and 65F. Those in the 50’s I burped once per day 1st week and those in 60’s I burped twice/day for the 1st week. Those in the 50’s I stopped burping a couple of days into the 2nd week but continued burping those in the 60’s once/day for the second week with humidity in room ranging from 60%-62% and temps 64-66F. Third week rh in bags ranged from 55%-62% 66F-68F.
Fourth week all bags sealed and stored.
Fifth week (current) smoking and finding that the flavor is lacking in all but one plant and it’s humidity in bag after drying was initially 58%, but has a better flavor than any.
Any thoughts?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Is this a single strain and have you grown it before? Flavor as well as smell is from terpenes. Some are more pronounced than others.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Multiple strains only one have I grown before and it has that same empty flavor. Great aromas from all but it’s lacking in the flavor department like a watered down juice if you can digg that.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Multiple strains only one have I grown before and it has that same empty flavor. Great aromas from all but it’s lacking in the flavor department like a watered down juice if you can digg that.
I think often we’re disappointed when our tongues don’t taste what our noses thinks they should. I’ve experimented with different strains using different temperatures in a Storz & Bickel Mighty. You get incredible tastes between 370-390. Same tastes are muted if you go straight from room temperature to 410.

elduderito

elduderito

I saw a video where Kevin Jodrey explained how certain terpene profiles have more 'staying power' and will deliver great flavor when smoking a joint from end to end - however, other profiles tend to dissipate much faster and you may get good flavor on the first few tokes, then the flavor kinda becomes mute ... I've witnessed this countless times and have come to realize that (as a joint smoker) this may be the single best criteria for picking a pheno - the bud that keeps it's flavor to the bitter end of the joint...

another factor could be flowering temps, did you have any variation between runs? --- High temps is not good for terpene preservation

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

I saw a video where Kevin Jodrey explained how certain terpene profiles have more 'staying power' and will deliver great flavor when smoking a joint from end to end - however, other profiles tend to dissipate much faster and you may get good flavor on the first few tokes, then the flavor kinda becomes mute ... I've witnessed this countless times and have come to realize that (as a joint smoker) this may be the single best criteria for picking a pheno - the bud that keeps it's flavor to the bitter end of the joint...

another factor could be flowering temps, did you have any variation between runs? --- High temps is not good for terpene preservation
learned a lot watching Kevin, good info. I have only smoked one of the strains to have an idea of how it’s flavor should be. I have a friend I go to when I grow a strain that I haven’t smoked before and we both noticed the lack of flavors when there should be flavor. Him because he’s smoked it before and me just feeling like there was something missing. My temps were consistent with my previous runs, in fact they were better(lower) even with running CO2.

elduderito

elduderito

when you say : 'he's smoked it before' - does that mean he grew that specific cut? the same seeds? or just same name?

there are a lot of variables - but it sounds like it's genetics...

elduderito

elduderito

What were the strains that lacked flavor and which ones were strongest on your previous runs?

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

when you say : 'he's smoked it before' - does that mean he grew that specific cut? the same seeds? or just same name?

there are a lot of variables - but it sounds like it's genetics...
He isn’t a grower but is known for having great tasting bud. He ran across some White and Pink Runtz that had seeds so he passed them to me and for him to keep the seeds it had to be good when it was being smoked. Now this strain is known for its terp profile and it is all there on the aroma side but flavor is on the other end of the spectrum, it’s just empty. Another strain, Vanilla Kush from SM it tasted the best but it didn’t last the entire smoke and seemed like it could’ve had more flavor on the exhale.

Top Bottom