flipping the breaker

• Thread starter sshortguy1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sshortguy1

new to the grow tent & led lights but concerned about fire b/c it blew today which was running a grow light a fan filter & heating pad & it flipped the breaker, it's on a 20 amp breaker which I took the heating pad & ran into another room so it wouldn't be on the same breaker, which the 1 light I bought wasn't enough for what I want to do it looks like it's doing fine on 3 plants but I want to grow 4 plants 2 vegetation stage & 2 seedlings which will require an additional light with they can connect to each other, is that how you fix your breaker issue or there's a weak breaker which needs replacing?

freezeland2

freezeland2

Watts/Volts=Amps

You might want to check the wattage on everything and then do a little math to determine your total amperage being drawn. A 20amp breaker should handle those things you described. The breaker could be bad. There also maybe other items on that circuit adding to the load besides your grow equipment. Have you checked?

Anthem

Anthem

Watts/Volts=Amps

You might want to check the wattage on everything and then do a little math to determine your total amperage being drawn. A 20amp breaker should handle those things you described. The breaker could be bad. There also maybe other items on that circuit adding to the load besides your grow equipment. Have you checked?
This is 100 percent true. Also never exceeded 80 percent of the available load. so nothing over 16 amps

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Watts/Volts=Amps

This is 100 percent true. Also never exceeded 80 percent of the available load. so nothing over 16 amps
Follow both the quoted statements above ...

Check the amps and do the math. 1000w of LED will use roughly 8.3 amps. As you see, there's plenty of amps still available for fans and a seedling mat. I'd be looking at what else is on that circuit first. If nothing else is found, look at your breaker and wiring for signs of problems. Hopefully its as easy as moving some things to a different circuit.

S

sshortguy1

Follow both the quoted statements above ...

Check the amps and do the math. 1000w of LED will use roughly 8.3 amps. As you see, there's plenty of amps still available for fans and a seedling mat. I'd be looking at what else is on that circuit first. If nothing else is found, look at your breaker and wiring for signs of problems. Hopefully its as easy as moving some things to a different circuit.
BINGO thank you very much it's a 2000 watt LED light bought an extra light but I put the carbon filter & fan on & the LED light on 1 breaker the heating pad in another bedroom which the light & the heating pad on 1 breaker the filter & the other light on the other which hopefully it'll be fine, All I'm trying to do is to grow 4 good plants is all, not trying to grow a farm like I've seen so far, they're pretty nice

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

BINGO thank you very much it's a 2000 watt LED light bought an extra light but I put the carbon filter & fan on & the LED light on 1 breaker the heating pad in another bedroom which the light & the heating pad on 1 breaker the filter & the other light on the other which hopefully it'll be fine, All I'm trying to do is to grow 4 good plants is all, not trying to grow a farm like I've seen so far, they're pretty nice
2000w pulled from the wall? Can you post a link to this light please?

Observationist

Observationist

It’s not a true 2000watts

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It’s most certainly not 2000 true watts

that bullshit cheap LED manufactures say
That's what I'm inclined to believe but lets see ... I've yet to see 1 light pull 2000w from the wall but I suppose it could exist.

freezeland2

freezeland2

That's what I'm inclined to believe but lets see ... I've yet to see 1 light pull 2000w from the wall but I suppose it could exist.
On a 110 system that would be 18 amps. Ain’t no way that thing is pulling 2000 watts. No one could use it without a dedicated generator, lol.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

On a 110 system that would be 18 amps. Ain’t no way that thing is pulling 2000 watts. No one could use it without a dedicated generator, lol.
It would only be practical to run it on 220v and up.

Now with that said, I did run a special 30 amp dedicated circuit to power six 240w quantum boards and 450w Spider farmer board. That comes out to 1890w plus accessories. The lights alone run at about 16amps. To do this requires some electrician's skills, a different breaker and upgraded wiring.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Now with that said, I did run a special 30 amp dedicated circuit to power six 240w quantum boards and 450w Spider farmer board. That comes out to 1890w plus accessories. The lights alone run at about 16amps. To do this requires some electrician's skills, a different breaker and upgraded wiring.
I am assuming the the OP isn’t running 220. I have a couple dual ballast. I only ever ran one on 220 for a grow I did a number of years ago. I didn’t see much advantage in continuing on with it. Especially for the small grows I do now.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I am assuming the the OP isn’t running 220. I have a couple dual ballast. I only ever ran one on 220 for a grow I did a number of years ago. I didn’t see much advantage in continuing on with it. Especially for the small grows I do now.
1/2 the amps but twice the voltage, and more expense in having it wired. You're not gaining any advantage unless it's already there and your lights are already wired to use it.

Observationist

Observationist

Nice

yea ive been looking at some of the commercial LEDS ive only really seen 1000w.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Nice

yea ive been looking at some of the commercial LEDS ive only really seen 1000w.

Here's a real nice light to add to your list.

freezeland2

freezeland2

1/2 the amps but twice the voltage, and more expense in having it wired. You're not gaining any advantage unless it's already there and your lights are already wired to use it.
I have an extra laundry room that is next door to my grow room. There is a false panel access plate between the two. I use it to run my exhaust hose through and connect to the unused dryer duct going out of the house. I also run Power cords through it e.g 220 if I want it. That access point also serves for a passive intake into my grow room. Works well.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Top Bottom