Flood and Drain with UC

• Thread starter St3ve
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
St3ve

St3ve

So I've been thinking a lot and experimenting with this and thought that I would bring it here first.

I have a lot of experience with flood and drain and have been very consistent and successful (imo) at it. Now I have been collecting material/supplies and want to give UC a shot but I can't help but to be afraid of the potential root issues. So then it hit me.. why not try a hybrid UC with flood and drain.

I know with my normal setup, I flood 4 times a day, and never at night. So I was thinking about running the normal setup during the day.. to get the benefits of super o2 watering during daylight hours, but then draining the system each night. Maybe one flood at night to keep things moist, or maybe not. It would be easy enough to drain and flood back the UC system but I just wanted to hear the pros and cons of this theory.

Any and all comments welcome. YMMV

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Bad idea IMO Uc is fine if worried about root issues use twice the oxygen its easy combining both might give unforeseen problems. I just bought a few uc's and haven't had any real problems I would also think it would have the better yield with less plants out of the 2 as well. Good Lucik

B

Bobby Smith

So you want an Ebb and Gro?

Great system, reliable, and delivers good yields.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Too complicated...

First Rule!
K.I.S.S.

In flood and drain, your roots are in a medium, providing some kind of cation exchange, physical support, moisture retention, and all around protection. Since in UC, the medium IS water, you are removing all those things when you drain! Roots get used to uptaking a certain way, and you will be disturbing that.

I'm not saying it won't work, but there will just be MORE that can go wrong.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
you would have to fill the buckets with some kind of medium

or put a bucket inside of a bucket like a water farm

basically a huge ass recirc water farm would work - top drippers added

St3ve

St3ve

thanks for the feedback.

Bubblehaze, I see your point and yes there are some unknowns.

Bobby, yes kind of like a ebb n gro cept during lights on the water would stay circulating and aerating. Only when lights out the water is all drained.

Green Morpho, I hear what you are saying about the medium. I have decided on trying out this system with bioballs.. I've had great success with them for other uses and feel they can provide the right amount of support while still letting my UC "river flow".

And you got it Motherlode, very similar. My goal is to fully submerge the root with the aerated water (ala UC/DWC) but then have a drain schedule to let the roots dry out some when they are not in use as much.

Thanks for the good feedback peeps. I decided that I am going to try this system, so I will report back. (I promise :) )

Top Bottom