Flood duration question

• Thread starter ru knuts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ru knuts

ru knuts

Old noob here. Trying to set up an Ebb and Flow, 6-5 gallon buckets with hydroton, 33 gallon res.
It takes roughly 12 gallons to fill the pails accounting for the clay media.
My flood and drain time is 22 minutes 30 seconds from the start of flood until completely drained.
Will my flood/drain times drown my future girls or will I be ok?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
15-20 mins is the norm so overshooting a few shouldn’t be an issue provided they environment conditions are optimal. Check the vapor density charts and ensure you are good but my experience says you will be ok. Just ensure newest plant go to the end of the loop so it gets the least flow

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Old noob here. Trying to set up an Ebb and Flow, 6-5 gallon buckets with hydroton, 33 gallon res.
It takes roughly 12 gallons to fill the pails accounting for the clay media.
My flood and drain time is 22 minutes 30 seconds from the start of flood until completely drained.
Will my flood/drain times drown my future girls or will I be ok?
Thanks
I've been keen to set one up you should keep us posted on what you do and how you get on

ru knuts

ru knuts

15-20 mins is the norm so overshooting a few shouldn’t be an issue provided they environment conditions are optimal. Check the vapor density charts and ensure you are good but my experience says you will be ok. Just ensure newest plant go to the end of the loop so it gets the least flow

Thanks
I built my system, I have 2 rows of 3 pails all feeding off a 1" line running down the center of the 2 rows of pails. they should fill at the same rate or very close to it. My times are from an outer pail furthest from the initial feed line.

ru knuts

ru knuts

I've been keen to set one up you should keep us posted on what you do and how you get on

I have a journal going at this point, I'm trying to get things/issues or problems figured out before going live. I've already made a few changes and added a RO system because I wasn't confident in my well water.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What is the flow rate of your fill pump? I'm curious because I'm building a similar system. My fill pump is 150 gph into a control bucket, which has the timer and float controls. I'm using an inline pump to return the feed to the reservoir. I have a few connections left to go. I also have to install my whole house filtering system.

I thought I would already be done but life keeps getting in the way ... I plan on spending some time on it tomorrow.

Happy New Year to you

ru knuts

ru knuts

I trying to wrap my brain around "the vapor density charts". Does it have to do with temp and humidity? I have a humidifier, dehumidifier, exhaust vent, heater and AC unit.

ru knuts

ru knuts

What is the flow rate of your fill pump? I'm curious because I'm building a similar system. My fill pump is 150 gph into a control bucket, which has the timer and float controls. I'm using an inline pump to return the feed to the reservoir. I have a few connections left to go. I also have to install my whole house filtering system.

I thought I would already be done but life keeps getting in the way ... I plan on spending some time on it tomorrow.

Happy New Year to you

My current flow rate on my pump is 130GPH, I had a 530gph but my overflow couldn't keep up with the pump (it didn't fill any faster than the 130gph pump either), luckily I was in the grow room when it started overflowing the pails.
Funny you should mention an inline return pump, I was searching for one just a couple hours ago.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I bought a system online. When I put it together, I noticed some real short-comings. 1/2 in vinyl tube that would kink, rubber grommets, etc. I got rid of all that and replaced it with pvc and bulkhead fittings. I also added 5 gallon buckets. Anyway, 1 modification has led to another. It's all good. I'm not in a rush. I'll get it done eventually.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I trying to wrap my brain around "the vapor density charts". Does it have to do with temp and humidity? I have a humidifier, dehumidifier, exhaust vent, heater and AC unit.
Yea it’s all about the air around the plant and it’s ability to hold water, essentially dryer would mean it needs more humidity as plants react to a very specific range for uptake and nutrient v macro nutrients all require that Goldilocks range. Be worth you reading up and seeing what your environment vs the uptake is like and Man U get the golden range, tits on the grow

ru knuts

ru knuts

Yea it’s all about the air around the plant and it’s ability to hold water, essentially dryer would mean it needs more humidity as plants react to a very specific range for uptake and nutrient v macro nutrients all require that Goldilocks range. Be worth you reading up and seeing what your environment vs the uptake is like and Man U get the golden range, tits on the grow
Thanks, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I germinate my seeds, so I can hit the ground running.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Thanks, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I germinate my seeds, so I can hit the ground running.
Always a good thing mate! A well executed plan begins with a well thought out plan. Cheers to that

Latest posts

Top Bottom