Flowering And Rain!

• Thread starter bankcee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bankcee

bankcee

I'm just starting my 3 week today of flowering some northern lights. and I'm expecting rain where I live.. here's the forecast

Flowering and rain

what preventative actions can I take for bud rot, mold, pm, all that nasty stuff we hate so much? my first grow and don't wanna let it all go to waste at this point. cover them with a easy up, clear trash bag? is the forecast not a big deal?

thanks in advance.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Are they starting week 3 of flower or do they have 3 weeks left? If it's that early on in flower then you should be fine, 1 day won't hurt them too bad.
In the past I've built lean-toos over each plant site and covered them with 3mil clear plastic painters tarp. Need the thicker plastic b/c a clear garbage bag will rip soon as the wind picks up or rain pools in it.
Take my advice with a grain of salt as I only have a couple small outdoor runs under my belt, and the rain in my area is much more intense this time of year.
Also worth noting the temperature in your area would lead to quick evaporation of small amounts of precipitation and may inhibit mold growth.
The worst mold problems I've had have been when the temps drop to mid 50s-low 60s with almost daily rain. All this the last few weeks of flower.
Just be vigilant in checking for pm and botrytis and what not.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
a product called actinovate works well to prevent p.m. but from my experience, it doesn't work very well to prevent botrytis (bud mold).
I think that some crosses and strains are more susceptible than others.
it usually happens on my biggest best fattest and tightest buds...
I wish I knew way to prevent it

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'll add plain old isopropyl alcohol to that list, because it speeds evaporation. PM won't present when it's raining, only after, since contact with water 'kills' the fruiting bodies. Outside of that it's really most important to have them well supported, because donkey dick buds in the dirt sucks and they don't come clean. I personally don't cover my plants, I let them hang in the rain (like the last few are right now) and so far so good. I think that the overall relative humidity in your location plays a bigger role in the prevalence of things like molding and rotting that aren't caused by budworms.

bankcee

bankcee

I'll add plain old isopropyl alcohol to that list, because it speeds evaporation. PM won't present when it's raining, only after, since contact with water 'kills' the fruiting bodies. Outside of that it's really most important to have them well supported, because donkey dick buds in the dirt sucks and they don't come clean. I personally don't cover my plants, I let them hang in the rain (like the last few are right now) and so far so good. I think that the overall relative humidity in your location plays a bigger role in the prevalence of things like molding and rotting that aren't caused by budworms.

certain percentage of the achol to be used? and how do I use it? foliar?

thanks yall..

bankcee

bankcee

Are they starting week 3 of flower or do they have 3 weeks left? If it's that early on in flower then you should be fine, 1 day won't hurt them too bad.
In the past I've built lean-toos over each plant site and covered them with 3mil clear plastic painters tarp. Need the thicker plastic b/c a clear garbage bag will rip soon as the wind picks up or rain pools in it.
Take my advice with a grain of salt as I only have a couple small outdoor runs under my belt, and the rain in my area is much more intense this time of year.
Also worth noting the temperature in your area would lead to quick evaporation of small amounts of precipitation and may inhibit mold growth.
The worst mold problems I've had have been when the temps drop to mid 50s-low 60s with almost daily rain. All this the last few weeks of flower.
Just be vigilant in checking for pm and botrytis and what not.

they're 2 weeks and 2 days today.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
certain percentage of the achol to be used? and how do I use it? foliar?

thanks yall..
You can use either 70% or 91%, and then mix it at a 1:1 ratio so it doesn't cause any burning. Used straight and under the sun I have caused burning when really saturating the plant material.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

What's the daily relative humidity? One day of rain shouldn't be a problem unless you live somewhere humid. Otherwise I'll second bulldog. I use regalia and mold isn't ever an issue. I've had my plants rained on numerous times and the only mold I've experienced has been from caterpillars. Proper mineralization helps immensely as well.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I googled Regalia...it seems seems expensive.
I can only find it in gallon sizes and then the shipping it's going to get me too.
it doesn't seem very concentrated either. how long does it last on the plant? I mean, how often do you have to use it?

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I only use it when there's rain in the forecast or if it's been raining steadily. Last year I had a spot of PM appear on a single plant and I blasted it with regalia and it never came back. From what I understand, all it does is kick in the plants immune response to fight the mold off itself.

I first heard about it when an acquaintance of mine said he used it daily during the 97-98 El Niño and didn't get a spot of mold. Whether or not there's adverse affects to using it daily, I don't know.

I use about 30ml/gallon but I think maximum dosage is 39ml/gallon. I bought 3 gallons from Johnnys Seeds last spring, and I'm about halfway through a gallon of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom