Flushing! Let's Chit Chat

• Thread starter brazel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brazel

brazel

Ok so my understanding is flushing removes salts from your medium, I get that.

What else?
Flushing before harvest?
Does the plant use all it's nutes then draws up water?
Does it draw up water when it runs out of nutes?
Why so important for leaves to turn yellow?
Does the bud pull the nutrients from the leaves?
If so why is that good?
If you flush and the leaves turn yellow but the flower stays green, does that mean anything?
If the bud is close to harvest and you flush, is the bud even using that much nutes?

I've done it for years without questing why, I no longer do it but would love to know what's really going on?
In no till we don't flush but feeding you do. Plants use the same things to grow, right?

I don't think plants up take that salt, I think it stays in the soil and that's what the flush is for.

If they did take all them salts, what happens to them?

Does the water go up and grab salts and take them back down?

If the bud does take up all then salts and mine doesn't, why don't they look really different?

Let's chit chat!

brazel

brazel

IME, flushing before a harvest was to strip the hydro chemicals from the bud so it burned clean. That's the theory I was taught.
Word,
I've flushed before but some time ago.

I hear a lot of things but never heard what's actually going on. Would love to hear that
Thanks for the reply
Cheers

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Flushing in no till is pointless
Leaves turning yellow means its ditching excess nitrogen.
Colors are anthocyanins
Flushing is to dilute nutrient content in the medium
Its also used to correct ph locks
I never want a green plant at chop... it means you pushed too much nitrogen

brazel

brazel

Flushing in no till is pointless
Leaves turning yellow means its ditching excess nitrogen.
Colors are anthocyanins
Flushing is to dilute nutrient content in the medium
Its also used to correct ph locks
I never want a green plant at chop... it means you pushed too much nitrogen
Word, would be stoked to dive deeper.

I get leaves turning color, but some growers are really focused on that.
That's what I don't understand.
Why it's so desired?

"I never want a green plant at chop... it means you pushed too much nitrogen"

Is this why yellow leaves?

Thanks

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Word, would be stoked to dive deeper.

I get leaves turning color, but some growers are really focused on that.
That's what I don't understand.
Why it's so desired?

"I never want a green plant at chop... it means you pushed too much nitrogen"

Is this why yellow leaves?

Thanks
What do trees do in fall? Its very unnatural for plants to be harvest green...in nature the temperature drops and this drops electric conductivity...Locking out nutrients like phosphorus which bring out anthocyanins(colors) these colors in our plants and produce are linked to higher antioxidant percentages... this in our world is called the ripening phase... just like agriculture. If you get to about 75-80% through flower and the plant starts turning... it probably means you are doing nothing wrong. Half way through flower means you pushed nutes or have a ph flux/lock

brazel

brazel

Cool yeah I get a lot of that.
Anthocyanins also act as sunscreen but indoor plants don't produce as much as an outdoor plant. Yeah they have antioxidant activity

Lemme word it different, how do leaves turning yellow effect the buds?
I think I worded that right

brazel

brazel

So they mobilize the leaf nutrients and store them. So by allowing the leaves to turn yellow you're putting nutrients back into the plant. Wouldn't that be the opposite of the goal?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Cool yeah I get a lot of that.
Anthocyanins also act as sunscreen but indoor plants don't produce as much as an outdoor plant. Yeah they have antioxidant activity

Lemme word it different, how do leaves turning yellow effect the buds?
I think I worded that right
Its more timing... the fade comes when the bud is in final ripening stage. Less nitrogen(green leaves) makes it easier to dry and cure your smoke. The color is always there in the leaf.. the chlorophyll masks this color. Late in flower when the plant loses chlorophyll, the colors are unmasked.

brazel

brazel

Your thinking is opposite. ..yellow means loss of chlorophyll.... it can be yellow or orange caratanoids...red purple Anthocyanins.
It's also being stripped of nutes and photosynthesis stops.

Are we talking about fan leaves, leaves or sugar leaves or all?

brazel

brazel

Generally the sugar leaves stay pretty green but the big fans should be where you see the big change. The plant is at the end of its life or season (photosynthesis is ending)
So there's really no reason to want the leaves yellow, right?
The bud tells you when it's ready
The sugar leaves hardly ever lose their color.
So if the other leaves lose their color, who cares right?
We're not after those leaves.
So if the plant takes those nutrients, what's using them? I would think the flower?
So my thinking is.. we want the buds to have less nutes but when the leaves get stripped of nutes they go into the plant which the bud probably uses?

What's your thoughts?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
So there's really no reason to want the leaves yellow, right?
The bud tells you when it's ready
The sugar leaves hardly ever lose their color.
So if the other leaves lose their color, who cares right?
We're not after those leaves.
So if the plant takes those nutrients, what's using them? I would think the flower?
So my thinking is.. we want the buds to have less nutes but when the leaves get stripped of nutes they go into the plant which the bud probably uses?

What's your thoughts?
Its depleting nitrogen. ..ya you want a fade

brazel

brazel

Its depleting nitrogen. ..ya you want a fade
I still don't understand what that has to with bud, cause it's clearly green.

I even grab the books out and still can't find anything that makes since.

IMO flushing and waiting for leaves to yellow isn't beneficial.

Thanks for the input!
Smoke time then check out the next thing flushing does

T

Theperculatr

A00B28C2 6FEE 43A3 A380 07D9C4AECC11
If you don't mind give me your opinion on these flowers, it's day 10 in these pics and it's seems like my plant is all pistil and no calyx...

The top right pic is not my plant... it's about the same age and it has a much better pistil/calyx ratio... mine seems to be twice the pistil half the calyx...I know every strain and phenotype are different but this is my first grow so I am just curious.

brazel

brazel

View attachment 770125 If you don't mind give me your opinion on these flowers, it's day 10 in these pics and it's seems like my plant is all pistil and no calyx...

The top right pic is not my plant... it's about the same age and it has a much better pistil/calyx ratio... mine seems to be twice the pistil half the calyx...I know every strain and phenotype are different but this is my first grow so I am just curious.
They good.
I've had some hairy girls!
Your calyx will come and then swell
Just ride it out and at the end you'll be harvesting!
Cheers

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This will be a long post but quite relevant.

I tested cuttings all last year to decide for myself what all this fading plants was all about.

I ran 3 different strains and each run I gave 1 of each water only the last 2 weeks. They faded pretty yellow for the most part. The bud leaves tended to lighten some. They had the least potency and less flavor and aroma before and after cure. But were smoother to smoke soonest.

I fed 1 of each strong to the end. Vibrant and green. Too much nitrogen ended up in strange overgrowth and the buds were so harsh and earthy tasting for so many weeks that I never got to try them fully cured. Too much chlorophyll. Also foxtailing and almost 2 weeks extended harvest times.

And I experimented feeding only what I thought they needed tapering down concentrations to only water the last time or two. Or not. The object was to keep them medium soft green to the end. As uniform color as possible but not too dark and not too light.

This gave the same positive result each time. More flavor, more aroma and more potency. Not just potency but complexity of effects as well. And much more noticeable medical qualities. And a medium acceptable curing time. Some strains like berry indicas are tasty right away. Some like Haze are harsh and too peppery and grassy for a while.

This shows me that I have gotten some good potential from the plants. And they got more closely what they needed right to finish.

Also I switched to only grow ratios for the whole cycle. PK heavy nutes shorten the cycle by prematurely yellowing the plant and locking up the roots for sure. Feeding properly added an average of 2 weeks to the faded plants times. I tested a few different nutes a few ways to determine this previously. Yield and quality can be much higher without boosters.

Overfeeding was bad on all counts. You can recover and keep them going but always long flowering times that way and bad flavor and harshness for more than weeks after dry.

Those are my findings in my garden. In Ocean Forest and Pure Blend Pro Grow for nutes. And under 600w Hortilux Super Hps lamps.

brazel

brazel

I'm over it.
IMO flushing... Yeah sure whatever

I've decided to start flushing my veggies.
Does whole foods sell flushed veggies?

Wonder why no one flushes no till?

brazel

brazel

This will be a long post but quite relevant.

I tested cuttings all last year to decide for myself what all this fading plants was all about.

I ran 3 different strains and each run I gave 1 of each water only the last 2 weeks. They faded pretty yellow for the most part. The bud leaves tended to lighten some. They had the least potency and less flavor and aroma before and after cure. But were smoother to smoke soonest.

I fed 1 of each strong to the end. Vibrant and green. Too much nitrogen ended up in strange overgrowth and the buds were so harsh and earthy tasting for so many weeks that I never got to try them fully cured. Too much chlorophyll. Also foxtailing and almost 2 weeks extended harvest times.

And I experimented feeding only what I thought they needed tapering down concentrations to only water the last time or two. Or not. The object was to keep them medium soft green to the end. As uniform color as possible but not too dark and not too light.

This gave the same positive result each time. More flavor, more aroma and more potency. Not just potency but complexity of effects as well. And much more noticeable medical qualities. And a medium acceptable curing time. Some strains like berry indicas are tasty right away. Some like Haze are harsh and too peppery and grassy for a while.

This shows me that I have gotten some good potential from the plants. And they got more closely what they needed right to finish.

Also I switched to only grow ratios for the whole cycle. PK heavy nutes shorten the cycle by prematurely yellowing the plant and locking up the roots for sure. Feeding properly added an average of 2 weeks to the faded plants times. I tested a few different nutes a few ways to determine this previously. Yield and quality can be much higher without boosters.

Overfeeding was bad on all counts. You can recover and keep them going but always long flowering times that way and bad flavor and harshness for more than weeks after dry.

Those are my findings in my garden. In Ocean Forest and Pure Blend Pro Grow for nutes. And under 600w Hortilux Super Hps lamps.
Just seen this

Top Bottom