Flushing Too Soon?

• Thread starter George1961
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Cause it has to do with scheduling. Running rooms 9 weeks and reloading as soon as you chop will get you like 4.8 grows a year per room. All depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I wouldn't go off what a seed pack says. You might be selecting a different pheno then what he/she/it was. But I def select strains based on this criteria. I have plenty of dank 10 weeks I just dont choose to run since there are plenty that can take it's place. Efficiency is how you cut the most cost and save the most money on expenses with. This is an expensive game and your expenses only go up as the lights and rooms go up along with flowering time.

Flushing too long might crisp up the leaves some. As long as it isn't spreading into the leaves right next to the bud you are fine. You don't smoke the leaves.
AND you may just be chopping too early to achieve the results we crave (personal grows). I select strains based on many things.

If I harvested according to breeder schedules, I would have badly messed up some plants after months of work. My latest example is a Jamaican Dream from Eva Seeds..Data says 49 days..She's now at day 50 and I may begin flushing this week ..(maybe 2 +weeks more to go!). I would not even think of putting it into the compost bin if I harvested now. Another was Purple Badlands from Greenpoint Seeds..They say 56-60 days..70 days later and she was done to MY perfection! (Depending on the mix, I go for 60% cloudy with the rest being a mixture of amber, cloudy, clear). I am very sensitive to Sativas, so I go for more amber there.

I have tried to flower strains that ripen at different times on purpose. I also grow for some seeds..That completely changes my plans, since I usually have to wait an xtra 7-10 days to allow the seeds to ripen on the plant. That causes me to chop those with seeds in stages; something that I used to do when I needed more than 2 - 3 qt jars per strain for us to smoke, make rosin, edibles etc. Now it's only quality and seeds.

The seed thing began as something to help curtail my expensive seed buying habit..Now it's worse! I stay within the state plant limits for MMJ card holders, and I always want more! Made a separate setup just for breeding too..

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Your plants will tell you when they are ready...I don't follow the recommended flowering times since there is so much variation as well as BS when it comes to finishing times. I usually let mine go until most fan leaves have yellowed and you can notice a slowdown in growth. I don't use DWC so I can't comment directly on it, but I have learned to judge when things are ready by a few different clues...the calendar NOT being one of them. My landrace Matanuska Thunder's take forever to finish, although the same supposed strain recommended a 12 week finish. I waited 2 weeks and saw 2X more product from them...so let the plants tell you when they are ready...it takes a little time to get the experience, but if it looks good and healthy, you are probably doing fine.

H

Highkev

High everyone, I think I made (another) mistake having wrongly interpreted some data:I'm running a Critical + in DWC, in their website they say the flowering stage was 45-50 days indoor, I started to count when I changed the light cycle to 12/12 ,later I noticed you start counting after you see the first change (pistils one week later in my case), someone also told me he always flushed in the seventh week of that stage (which was my case before finding out it was my sixth week).

So I flushed and next Wednesday the plant will have lived three weeks with no nutes. Fortunately, I've seen one farmer that flushes three weeks, I thought two weeks was the limit. Still don't have any amber trichomes and I don't know if this lack of nutes can affect the final result and if there is anything I can do about it. Leaves are clear green and many yellow, so she is cannibalizing herself but I don't know if it will be enough. I attach some pics from right now, thanks for your help ...

View attachment 857115

View attachment 857116
Is this true do u start counting from when the lights flip or when u see buds? This might be why all mine go late lol

George1961

George1961

Thanks everyone, now I know crystal clear that we have to forget what the breeder schedule says, it makes sense as it may depend on the lights you use (they say LED's are faster), room conditions, temperature ...

As I think I will keep flushing (that's another debate), my question is how do you know a plant is ready for flushing, as the final date for chopping is not certain because of the reasons I previously said. thanks for your input, I am learning a lot from your experience ...

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
AND you may just be chopping too early to achieve the results we crave (personal grows). I select strains based on many things.

If I harvested according to breeder schedules, I would have badly messed up some plants after months of work. My latest example is a Jamaican Dream from Eva Seeds..Data says 49 days..She's now at day 50 and I may begin flushing this week ..(maybe 2 +weeks more to go!). I would not even think of putting it into the compost bin if I harvested now. Another was Purple Badlands from Greenpoint Seeds..They say 56-60 days..70 days later and she was done to MY perfection! (Depending on the mix, I go for 60% cloudy with the rest being a mixture of amber, cloudy, clear). I am very sensitive to Sativas, so I go for more amber there.

I have tried to flower strains that ripen at different times on purpose. I also grow for some seeds..That completely changes my plans, since I usually have to wait an xtra 7-10 days to allow the seeds to ripen on the plant. That causes me to chop those with seeds in stages; something that I used to do when I needed more than 2 - 3 qt jars per strain for us to smoke, make rosin, edibles etc. Now it's only quality and seeds.

The seed thing began as something to help curtail my expensive seed buying habit..Now it's worse! I stay within the state plant limits for MMJ card holders, and I always want more! Made a separate setup just for breeding too..

How am I chopping to early? I said I select strains based on what fits my schedule and rooms. Most everything I am running are older cuts and never came with a sheet that said how long they take. I run them till they are done. Like I do every strain. I don;t think I have ever chopped something in the last 18 years by what someone else has told me or what a pack says. I still run my sour deez cut I've had forever. It's a solid 85 dayer. I don't run it in my rooms for the flip since it doesnt fit into the schedule. Being a personal grower has nothing to do with it. Everyone has there own style and there is no right or wrong way to do it. The fact is tho weather you have 2 plants or 2000 is if you are inefficient you are wasting money and time. There is no way around that. I have always grown for myself first. I wouldn't waste time and money on shit unless I wanted to smoke it and keep it around for years. Strait up facts.

All I'm saying is not everything out there is an 11 week strain and there is plenty of genetics that hold the candle just as much as the long ones. Not to say 11 week strains are bad it's just they don't always fit into certain peoples styles and its not wrong either way you choose it. If you are going for pure efficiency and trying to keep the cost down the most you can you will have a schedule and stick to it. The less plants you have the more of an impact it can have on you unless you just always have an excess of weed laying around all the time 24/7.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
DWC you can just start to flush when the plants look nearly done, no need to count days. It only needs like 5-7 days of water at the end, tops.
Is this true do u start counting from when the lights flip or when u see buds? This might be why all mine go late lol

Everyone I know counts from 12/12. And most strains will go 8-10 weeks. But Nobody I know uses estimates for strains they haven't grown yet. You've got to grow it out to find out how long it really takes. Then you will know for subsequent grows with its cuttings.

In DWC the flush can happen quick, well inside the harvest window. You can really just switch to water when they look pretty much done. Give them 4-5 more days. One DWC grower I know changes the flush water in the res twice in that time to get rid of plant waste products.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Just my two cents but I’d say 5-7 days should do the trick young fellah. :eyepiece:

Top Bottom