flushing with tap water

• Thread starter 0MEGA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

0MEGA

i was wondering if plain tap water thats PHd can be used in flushing?
i dont really see the harm they only have about 2 1/2 weeks left till harvest.

0MEGA

ive been using ro, i just thought itd be easier to flush them in the garage with a hose instead of waiting forever for clean water to be dispensed

JH420

JH420

thats absolutely fine, why wouldnt it be ....

Because tap water is usually full of all kinds of stuff like chlorine and Calcium or Magnesium??...the point of a flush is to leach everything out of the soil so you get buds that taste how they were meant to taste, but if you be pouring in loads of tap water the last 2 - 3 weeks won't you get buildups of stuff that will affect taste and burn?

No offense meant to you SkyHi I would love to hear more opinions on this.

7rayos

Leaving the tap water for 24 hours or more resting in a big bucket will evaporate the chlorine and settle the calcium. Dunno if all of it, but that's common practise. As for the ph, i don't think it matters, the point in measuring is dissolving the nutes for the plant to absorb them, but flushing is for washing the excesses away

J

Janus

Are you talking about doing the final flush to help them finish or doing a single day flush of the media to reset for nutes? Either way flushing with tap is OK if you use a regular drinking water filter first. The chlorine is not good for plants but the chloramine is much worse. Both are removed with standard water filters. Good luck.

A

afatsoweezer

the least you should do is allow the tap water to sit (as mentioned before) before applying. All that work, just to shock the hell of out of your babies? Naw.

jammie

jammie

i'm a beleiver in the mystical powers of rainwater. just kidding- i'm not that weird, but i do beleive that its better than most tap water, lots cheaper and more ph stable than ro water and perfect for flushing if not full time use.

P

pucker

i'm a beleiver in the mystical powers of rainwater. just kidding- i'm not that weird, but i do beleive that its better than most tap water, lots cheaper and more ph stable than ro water and perfect for flushing if not full time use.

I've always wondered about snow...obliviously melted but would it be just as beneficial as mystical rainwater ?

Sorry to hijack.....

M

mrdizzle

i dont ph my flushing water, that way the plant cant take up any nutes

M

mrdizzle

chloramine doesnt blow off either, try adding "prime" you can get it at petstores, it removed all chloramines

thinman

thinman

regarding PH and rainwater/melted snow, etc...rainwater was used to establish workable PH numbers. in other words, rainwater is usually 7.0, which is considered neutral. less than that is acidic, more than that is alkaline. they simply took some clean rainwater, tested it, and established it as the arbitrary designation of neutral.

jorge cervantes said in his first book, indoor marijuana horticulture, any water that is good enough for us to drink is perfectly good for growing marijuana. i grew for years and never owned a PH meter or a ppm meter, and always had the best bud available. since acquiring the meters i have been like a dog chasing its own tail. my tap water always did a good job. maybe not perfect, but a good job. its always 7.0 or higher, and the ppm readings are always 200+. i grow in soiless mixes which are more forgiving. i realize that hydro is a different animal, but i also think too many are trying to make a science out of growing pot and making it way too difficult----and costly. your mileage may vary.

C

chranotik

What i've learned is that when you are flushing, the plant really only absorbs the last 1-2.5 gallons you leave in it (when using a 5gal pot)... so in theory you can run tap water through it and finish with low ppm RO water and should be okay. I've had to do that a couple times because my RO system is old and can only do so many gallons a day... my KYK Genesis water ionizer arrives today and i can't wait to start putting it to use :P

oh and by the way, the ppm of our tap water where i live is like 410-450ppm and the toxic epa guideline is 500. eek.

S

scoobydoo

Tap water is ok, RO is better. I use tap water until the last 3-4 days then switch to RO. NEVER EVER use rain or snow. In a perfect world it would be fine but we have pollution! Rain falls because water vapor collect dust and garbage from the sky and I'm sure you've all heard of acid rain. With rainwater you never know what you got.

P

pharmaseed

I agree with dizzle i use tap water but bubble it for 12- 24 hours. There is no reason to ph the water because you want your plant to stop nute up take. This is why many growers in hydro you products like final phase they dont actually flush the plant of its nutes they just hyper-chealate the nutes so that the nutes and salts are bound up and the plant cannot up take them.

Top Bottom