Folded leaves

• Thread starter BzDave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BzDave

BzDave

Hi guys! So, my plants are exhibiting this feature where the leave are folded up on the sides. I am not sure of the cause. Can you help identify the cause? If it’s something potentially detrimental that I’m doing , I want to remedy that.

Folded leaves
Folded leaves 2
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi guys! So, my plants are exhibiting this feature where the leave are folded up on the sides. I am not sure of the cause. Can you help identify the cause? If it’s something potentially detrimental that I’m doing , I want to remedy that.
looks like there getting a little hot,but plants look fine to me

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The plants look pretty healthy to me, although when you see the leaves folding upward (I think they call it "Taco-ing", as in looking like a Taco shell), it usually means that they are getting a little too much nutrients, like the Old Man said. What type of medium are you using and how much fertilizer have you been using? Fox Farms products sometimes have this problem from the amount of fertilizer that they use in some mixes, but it can happen with any medium with enough fertilizer mixed in. A little history on them, age, medium, light type, fertilizer... this info is very helpful when trying to figure out issues. A photo is always great, but other info can be just as important. Keep up the good work!

BzDave

BzDave

The plants look pretty healthy to me, although when you see the leaves folding upward (I think they call it "Taco-ing", as in looking like a Taco shell), it usually means that they are getting a little too much nutrients, like the Old Man said. What type of medium are you using and how much fertilizer have you been using? Fox Farms products sometimes have this problem from the amount of fertilizer that they use in some mixes, but it can happen with any medium with enough fertilizer mixed in. A little history on them, age, medium, light type, fertilizer... this info is very helpful when trying to figure out issues. A photo is always great, but other info can be just as important. Keep up the good work!
This is possible. The soil I put them in had food in it, and I added food once. They are roughly six weeks old. I have them outside during the day and bring them inside at sundown, where I have 2 100 w blue/red led lights & a four foot fluorescent with t8 daylight bulbs. I’ll add pics of the soil, food, and lights. When they are ready, I will start adding dark to their cycle, for now, 24/7 light.

3F116624 CAF6 4AE5 9D73 FE271C964CAF
0EDE2E6C 9E2C 4889 8871 827391A97398
995C28BA 1A95 420D BB75 17002E05787B
F194AE19 DED8 4203 B42E 190054F1A95D
EE61F869 193E 4ADB B440 EE9BAC3AE638
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think you have found the problem. I would NOT feed any more until you deplete some of the nutrients that are already in the soil. A flush might be needed if it continues to deteriorate. Unless they are auto plants, I wouldn't recommend going 24/7, although it isn't critical. Plants do a lot of their growing during the dark cycle. 24/7 will keep them shorter, but I like to give at least a 2 hour rest to allow the plants to get some rest between photosynthesis sessions. Your mileage may vary! :)

BzDave

BzDave

I think you have found the problem. I would NOT feed any more until you deplete some of the nutrients that are already in the soil. A flush might be needed if it continues to deteriorate. Unless they are auto plants, I wouldn't recommend going 24/7, although it isn't critical. Plants do a lot of their growing during the dark cycle. 24/7 will keep them shorter, but I like to give at least a 2 hour rest to allow the plants to get some rest between photosynthesis sessions. Your mileage may vary! :)
Thank you so much brother! I will do that. Starting today I will give them a two hour rest each day. I’m not sure if flushing will work because the food I added is slow release, will a flush work? Also, I have one other question now. I’ve noticed that with my smaller plants The water is not being taken up as fast as with the larger plants. I assumed it was because the larger plants just take up more water, but the pots on the smaller plants have remained significantly heavier. Do you think this is a sign of a problem?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thank you so much brother! I will do that. Starting today I will give them a two hour rest each day. I’m not sure if flushing will work because the food I added is slow release, will a flush work? Also, I have one other question now. I’ve noticed that with my smaller plants The water is not being taken up as fast as with the larger plants. I assumed it was because the larger plants just take up more water, but the pots on the smaller plants have remained significantly heavier. Do you think this is a sign of a problem?
You could be seeing too much water retention by your growing medium. I use a product called Promix, which is mostly vermiculite (Peat Miss type of stuff), Perlite (the white balls that look like Styrofoam) and a few other ingredients. I like it because it drains very well but maintains a nice amount of moisture that seems just right for the plants and roots. Larger plants will use a lot more water than smaller plants, but if your smaller plants seem to be staying heavy due to water, you should cut back on the watering a little. Roots need water, but they need Oxygen too. If there is too much water, it drown the roots. Damp is the condition that you want your roots to be in if growing in soil. Flushing might help with your plants, but it depends on the type of fertilizer, as some of the time release stuff works on osmotic exchange... basically the fertilizer pellet very slowly releases nutrients when wet. Adding more water might just make more nutrients come out.. If this was me, I would probably watch them over the next few days and see if the plant adjusts to the new soil, or if it continues to fail, you might consider re-planting it in a less nutritious soil. FWIW, I have seen many plants take a few days to get accustomed to the higher levels in some soils, so if it doesn't appear to be better in a week, I would re-pot as a week should be long enough for roots to grow and get used to their new homes.

Top Bottom