Solved Followers

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

How can someone be a follower to me if they have not been here for a long time. Also how do I stop this feature. I can not keep track of my own ass, I definitely do not want people missing up their farms following me off a cliff. It would be like the blind leading the blind. Suerte JK

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Thats it im gonna start following you now,Can we stop and smoke a hooter before we drive off the cliff?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Dude, it's just a way to notice what people you enjoy are posting. You already got like a thousand so far eh? I'll unfollow if you prefer..

edit - I normally would've ignored this thread from the title, and mainly just read alerts and browse the what's-new unless I'm researching. The newsfeed with people you're following just ends up being a big list of junk unless you're codependent or something.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

i like the news feed, allows me to see some good posters//posts all right together without having to search through threads

T

TECK

How can someone be a follower to me if they have not been here for a long time. Also how do I stop this feature. I can not keep track of my own ass, I definitely do not want people missing up their farms following me off a cliff. It would be like the blind leading the blind. Suerte JK
If people follow you it means they want to stay updated with what you post... in other words you are important in other's eyes. For example, if an user follows you, he/she will be able to find easy all your recent threads or posts with one click. It does not do anything special to you, only to the user that decided you are their Weed God. :D

You cannot really stop people following you, that's why you are Weed God for some of them. :D
But you can set your privacy really neat so nobody can read about your info, in case you want to hide into Weed Sky for a while. Go to your Control Panel (hover the mouse over your nickname, at the top right of every page) and click on Privacy. Select there the option "People You Follow" from whatever menu you want not to be visible to others. Hiding your profile will actually stop people from following you. If I were you, I would not do it and allow them to have you on their list. :)

J

Jalisco Kid

If people follow you it means they want to stay updated with what you post... in other words you are important in other's eyes. For example, if an user follows you, he/she will be able to find easy all your recent threads or posts with one click. It does not do anything special to you, only to the user that decided you are their Weed God. :D

You cannot really stop people following you, that's why you are Weed God for some of them. :D
But you can set your privacy really neat so nobody can read about your info, in case you want to hide into Weed Sky for a while. Go to your Control Panel (hover the mouse over your nickname, at the top right of every page) and click on Privacy. Select there the option "People You Follow" from whatever menu you want not to be visible to others. Hiding your profile will actually stop people from following you. If I were you, I would not do it and allow them to have you on their list. :)
I do not want to be anybody's weed god, I will leave that up to Jorge and Ed and other fools.
My main question was how could someone follow me when they have not been here. I heard that person was dead.
I have told personal friends here I did not collect friends on the old format. I had to tell hundreds of people that I do not play that game. For me it is bullshit. It's clickish, it is a type of scale to weigh your ego on. I have told all farmers they are free to pm me. So I have tried to stop this by turning on everything to only people I follow. I follow no man so my view is always the same as the lead dog. I do not want trophies unless your passing out 6' redheads and the likes i will burn. I still do not know where I saw it but there is a way to see someones threads and posts. That is how I follow those who I feel put out good info in their writing. I thank you for trying to help. Suerte JK

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I always enjoy hearing what you have to say JK.

Of course I take all theories and opinions of anybody with a grain of salt. You do have some interesting information to share, and a different point of view than most. I would think that anyone who is looking for info like that knows such things. If not, then they have a lot more to learn than just growing. I do think the whole following or being followed sounds a little stalkerish, I understand that if you really value that person's info, you may want to follow to make it easier to keep up. I think that making a whole thing announcing people following along is the funny part of the whole thing. If people want to follow what I say for their own informational quest, that's fine. It would be just as well if it were just the follower's business that he or she wants to keep up. I don't need to know, and it should be no newsworthy event either. I type all these words here to share, and I'm sure you do too. I would agree that it shouldn't have to be a big open popularity contest though.

--TF

T

TECK

I have told personal friends here I did not collect friends on the old format. I had to tell hundreds of people that I do not play that game. For me it is bullshit. It's clickish, it is a type of scale to weigh your ego on.
I hear you and I totally agree. That is one of the main reasons why we transformed the Friends feature into Follow user content.

That is how I follow those who I feel put out good info in their writing.
The easiest way to read about someone else's posts is by following him/her. For example, if I follow 3 people, they don't have to follow me. This is used ONLY to track their posts because for some reason I consider them useful... it has nothing to do with the person but rather the content posted by the person. Since you disabled that option, nobody will be able to follow you, hence they will not be able to read what you posted new on the site. Between me and you as friends, we could disable those privacy features so you would NOT be able to block anyone. But we wanted to give everyone full control over the options and let YOU decide what is best for yourself. :)

I thank you for trying to help.
My pleasure, please ask any question you might have... someone will take care of it. :)

J

Jalisco Kid

I hear you and I totally agree. That is one of the main reasons why we transformed the Friends feature into Follow user content.

The easiest way to read about someone else's posts is by following him/her. For example, if I follow 3 people, they don't have to follow me. This is used ONLY to track their posts because for some reason I consider them useful... it has nothing to do with the person but rather the content posted by the person. Since you disabled that option, nobody will be able to follow you, hence they will not be able to read what you posted new on the site. Between me and you as friends, we could disable those privacy features so you would NOT be able to block anyone. But we wanted to give everyone full control over the options and let YOU decide what is best for yourself. :)

My pleasure, please ask any question you might have... someone will take care of it. :)
How can some one sign up to follow me if they are dead? JK

T

TECK

How can some one sign up to follow me if they are dead? JK
I don't think dead people follow you. :) It might be a different user who got the same username because it was deleted when we transferred (and lost bits of) the database? Start a conversation with logic and explain to him what is going on (let him know the username also). If someone is impersonating a member that should not, logic will take care of it quickly.

Motarebel

Motarebel

I was a little set back when i first seen that too. It's really not much different then going to to one's profile page and clickin on the "show all posts" option,only now you get to see who's doing this.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
I was a little set back when i first seen that too. It's really not much different then going to to one's profile page and clickin on the "show all posts" option,only now you get to see who's doing this.
Yes thats correct :)

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

The follow function would be more useful if it just included new posts and not everything the person does such as on facebook (ie, their 'likes' and other non thread-posting activities). I guess it depends on the behavior of those you follow as to whether your newsfeed is concise vs a junkshow. I use the like function to replace +rep, not to stroke egos but just to quietly say thanks instead of filling up threads with cheerleading, making them hard to read effeciently. But this behavior means if you're following me on your newsfeed, there might be a whole page of my 'likes' to sift through if you happen to check in right after I was online, and several more pages to scan with all the activities of others you follow.

FYI JK, I too always set my privacy to max for anything in webland. In this case it means the only reason you can view my profile details is because I allow it to friends and people I follow. Not sure with the new version, but before you could even block your avatar/photo and pm system from members you haven't pre-approved. Another example is the new 'wall' feature for others to post public comments on your profile (which I have also turned-off).

mancordero

mancordero

so does this mean that if i want to read JK's posts from now on (or anyone else who ups their security) i have to convince him to follow me?

T

TECK

The follow function would be more useful if it just included new posts and not everything the person does such as on facebook (ie, their 'likes' and other non thread-posting activities). I guess it depends on the behavior of those you follow as to whether your newsfeed is concise vs a junkshow. I use the like function to replace +rep, not to stroke egos but just to quietly say thanks instead of filling up threads with cheerleading, making them hard to read effeciently. But this behavior means if you're following me on your newsfeed, there might be a whole page of my 'likes' to sift through if you happen to check in right after I was online, and several more pages to scan with all the activities of others you follow.

FYI JK, I too always set my privacy to max for anything in webland. In this case it means the only reason you can view my profile details is because I allow it to friends and people I follow. Not sure with the new version, but before you could even block your avatar/photo and pm system from members you haven't pre-approved. Another example is the new 'wall' feature for others to post public comments on your profile (which I have also turned-off).
Photo will be visible, anything else will be blocked.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

always gotta be haters. this software is awesome and makes viewing what you want a breeze. sure maybe it takes a bit from facebook, but im not sure why that is such a bad thing. another site im on has "thanks" instead of "likes"...just think of it that way if you have a mental blockage.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Photo will be visible, anything else will be blocked.
Good to know, thx.

Not so much about hating, just identity issues can be paramount sometimes and wise to think ahead. Privacy choices are good and make me more comfortable here, and yes, thanks is definitely due for the generally high level of security offered.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I liked having friends better then followers.. Following somebody juss seem a Lil bit weird 4 me..

Top Bottom