Food Grade Plastic A Must?

• Thread starter JMcG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

Hey farmers
I need to get a couple of bigger reservoirs for my UC XL 4 s.
Here and there I find references to food grade plastics for hydro systems. I have some seven year old 13 gallon containers like the one CC uses and now need new rezs.
Without food grade plastic am I brewing my root balls in a less than healthy environment? ( for humans consumption that is )
I see most folks just use big ass garbage cans...

JMcG

JMcG

Any advice on DIY versions vs commercial retail options?
I am thinking the restaurant industry has to have some used containers that would work.
Recycle and repurpose people!

JMcG

JMcG

I also looked at Rubbermaid Brute commercial garbage cans. They have different colors available but the grey , white , and I think the red ones are labeled food safe.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

I also looked at Rubbermaid Brute commercial garbage cans. They have different colors available but the grey , white , and I think the red ones are labeled food safe.
I use the rubbermaid brute 32 gallon cans for reservoirs they are food safe and heavy duty. Otherwise if you have friends in the food industry you might be able to get used containers from a restaurant. Depending on its contents used food containers can be hard to clean. I got a 55gallon pickle container once, it took me a month of scrubbing and soaking to get the pickle smell out.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

Also you can get the brute dolly for brute containers that pops right on the bottom fairly snug so you can carefully roll them around to different rooms or just general cleaning.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I use the rubbermaid brute 32 gallon cans for reservoirs they are food safe and heavy duty. Otherwise if you have friends in the food industry you might be able to get used containers from a restaurant. Depending on its contents used food containers can be hard to clean. I got a 55gallon pickle container once, it took me a month of scrubbing and soaking to get the pickle smell out.
Good choice with the brute cans. Ice cream shops go through a lot of food grade buckets, depending on the mfg of their ice-cream. Some shops will give them to you. :)

JMcG

JMcG

Sweet. Thanks for the replies!
I think I will head for the Brutes... and I like the dollies.

palm eezy

palm eezy

I use the 32 gallon and 20 gallon round grey brutes and have been in my current setup for 4+ years. Can't comment on the food grade question, but can definitely say they are solid and last. Insides still look like brand new despite intense bleaching, exposure to ozone, tons of air, scrubbing, etc etc.. Also run their 20 gallon rectangle storage tubs for years now with uniseals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom