For all new time growers! Follow me!

• Thread starter 716legalgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Hello all fellow newbies. I am running my first time grow, I had recently been wondering what’s been wrong with my plants. Got a Ph pen (been using the crappy drop test kit) and holy hell! I advise all new growers to go out and get yourself a PH pen! Figured out why my plants were nute burning! The drop test gives a terrible rough estimate. So been feeding them horribly balanced PH water thinking I was balancing it right. Going to do the runoff from my pots when I flush them. Will let you all know results

For all new time growers follow me
TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Most tap water doesn’t need to be ph adjusted as it has low mineral content and low alkalinity.

And ph drops are accurate and used to check meters.

post pics and all grow info please if guidance is needed.
Don’t think he needs any guidance, I didn’t really notice a question lol just a statement on if your new to growing how more accurate a ph pen was over drop test kits....

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Don’t think he needs any guidance, I didn’t really notice a question lol just a statement on if your new to growing how more accurate a ph pen was over drop test kits....

I corrected a whole paragraph of bad info. If he or she believes what they wrote they have plant problems and don’t know what is happening. So we are offering to help. Sometimes it’s hard to ask for help on a forum. If they dont want help they can say so or simply ignore my comment.

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

I corrected a whole paragraph of bad info. If he or she believes what they wrote they have plant problems and don’t know what is happening. So we are offering to help. Sometimes it’s hard to ask for help on a forum. If they dont want help they can say so or simply ignore my comment.
I have threads started already for the questions and concerns I already have. I ph my water at 6.1 and flushed until the runoff was about 6.2ish using distilled water the thread was maybe to help other people experiencing nutrient problems cuz I saw a lot of people not knowing why they’re nutrient burning their plants

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Most tap water doesn’t need to be ph adjusted as it has low mineral content and low alkalinity.

And ph drops are accurate and used to check meters.

post pics and all grow info please if guidance is needed.
Thanks man. Didn’t know I can use tap water. I tested mine for the hell of it. Was at 7.1, looked up my cuties water chart. What’s a safe ppm? Need to get one next. The store I bought it from calibrated the pen for me too

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have threads started already for the questions and concerns I already have. I ph my water at 6.1 and flushed until the runoff was about 6.2ish using distilled water the thread was maybe to help other people experiencing nutrient problems cuz I saw a lot of people not knowing why they’re nutrient burning their plants

ok but the info you posted is not correct.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks man. Didn’t know I can use tap water. I tested mine for the hell of it. Was at 7.1, looked up my cuties water chart. What’s a safe ppm? Need to get one next. The store I bought it from calibrated the pen for me too

ideal ppm of water is 150. Too much is usually 250 or higher. Of course it can vary depending on content.

I use unadjusted 8.0 ph 150-200 ppm well water. I don’t ph nutrient mixtures either in potting soil. The soil is buffered with lime or oyster shell to maintain the medium ph.

And I meter my runoff ppm each feed so I can see what happens over time. Today when I watered/fed some of my plants my ec came back 3 points higher than my input. It has been even for weeks. Shows me it’s time to taper back down the nute strength.

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

ideal ppm of water is 150. Too much is usually 250 or higher. Of course it can vary depending on content.

I use unadjusted 8.0 ph 150-200 ppm well water. I don’t ph nutrient mixtures either in potting soil. The soil is buffered with lime or oyster shell to maintain the medium ph.

And I meter my runoff ppm each feed so I can see what happens over time. Today when I watered/fed some of my plants my ec came back 3 points higher than my input. It has been even for weeks. Shows me it’s time to taper back down the nute strength.
Yeah as of now I have a few northern light auto that started the other day and a few random seeds I found in a bag. Have only experienced nutrient burn with the clone I got from a friend, don’t know why it’s the only one with burn. I have posts of it on my page

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Im not trying to come off as ignorant friend don’t get me wrong. However, I feel like the ph pen is much more accurate than the solution where you drop a few drops and it only tells you the Ph level in increments of .5. Just tryna tell fellow new growers to get a ph pen

I don’t think you are ignorant bud. We all need to keep learning. That’s why we come here.

they are more accurate. But need to be stored properly and calibrated. And drops are recommended to check them.

I have been using only GH PH drops for 7 years of perpetual production. Checking and managing ppms is more important in my opinion. Many new growers only list ph when giving grow info and the ppms are usually the issue. Too much fertilizer build up acidified the soil and it goes back to normal when flushed

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Your following moister rules with that soil mix and watering frequency?
Trying my best too. General hydroponic says 4ml per gallon I use half. However I did just purchase a PH pen, and my runoff was at 7.5 and using coco coir that can cause lockout right?
Also, I ran water throughout it the entirety of the medium until the runoff was clear and had a good ph level. Gonna give em a day or two before I feed them any more nutrients. I’m aiming for my ph now to be in the 6.1 area, is that okay? I use general hydroponics flora series as well with cal mag plus. I have guano, don’t know how much good it would do for me though using the other nutrients. Haven’t used yet. Water once a day at most, don’t over water my plants, or at least try my best not to. Check my plants, I posted them on my profile!

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

I don’t think you are ignorant bud. We all need to keep learning. That’s why we come here.

they are more accurate. But need to be stored properly and calibrated. And drops are recommended to check them.

I have been using only GH PH drops for 7 years of perpetual production. Checking and managing ppms is more important in my opinion. Many new growers only list ph when giving grow info and the ppms are usually the issue. Too much fertilizer build up acidified the soil and it goes back to normal when flushed
I would have to to check out a different hydroponic store. The one I’ve been going to only had the PH test for $40; or the whole dam 9 yards for $250. I’m trying to keep the budget relatively low for the most part. Got nutrients, 70/30 coco coir, humidifiers fans exhaust kit. Bag of natural cO2, just seems like I need a dehumidifier and a ppm tester now. Other than that, I’d say I’ll be alright. I fully expect to fail the first few times. Doing a lot better so far than I thought I would

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Trying my best too. General hydroponic says 4ml per gallon I use half. However I did just purchase a PH pen, and my runoff was at 7.5 and using coco coir that can cause lockout right?
Also, I ran water throughout it the entirety of the medium until the runoff was clear and had a good ph level. Gonna give em a day or two before I feed them any more nutrients. I’m aiming for my ph now to be in the 6.1 area, is that okay? I use general hydroponics flora series as well with cal mag plus. I have guano, don’t know how much good it would do for me though using the other nutrients. Haven’t used yet. Water once a day at most, don’t over water my plants, or at least try my best not to. Check my plants, I posted them on my profile!
Yeah bat shit is fine to use, and you need to increase your watering never let coco dry up and you wanna try keeping the soil mix 90% moist all the time. I run mother earths 70/30 mix and the same nutes doing 2 watering 8-9 hours apart.

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Yeah bat shit is fine to use, and you need to increase your watering never let coco dry up and you wanna try keeping the soil mix 90% moist all the time. I run mother earths 70/30 mix and doing 2 watering 8-9 hours apart.
Okay thank you I’ll have to start trying that out. It’s really only this clone I’m having trouble with. A buddy was growing it outside and I switched it to my setup. Was about 2 weeks old when he gave it to me, so my own tuition just tells me it’s genetics, because my 3 photos I started from seeds are doing exceptionally well. Just the clone I’ve had problems with nutrient burn. Last three are pictures of the seeded plants, first handful is the clone that experienced nute burn

30C640E0 E927 46AB 8201 0508D74B3B52
03B1B77A A301 4297 8F86 5D1108C81F60
6F2FAEB5 7E53 40EE A567 8876CEC3A3B4
AC88BF86 EB28 412B B51D 1072C58AA47F
31148F57 08AA 4483 8CA0 2228E281F96B
392C0600 C41D 4F7B 8E3F 77214005DA64
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would have to to check out a different hydroponic store. The one I’ve been going to only had the PH test for $40; or the whole dam 9 yards for $250. I’m trying to keep the budget relatively low for the most part. Got nutrients, 70/30 coco coir, humidifiers fans exhaust kit. Bag of natural cO2, just seems like I need a dehumidifier and a ppm tester now. Other than that, I’d say I’ll be alright. I fully expect to fail the first few times. Doing a lot better so far than I thought I would

I read once and have found to be true that it takes about 3 grows to start to see what’s going on and get the hang of it started. My second year I started improving a lot.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Yeah man I seen some of the photos on your profile and you underwater on a few of those sadly, those ones on farther weeks of veg you wanna water all that soil and keep it moist

Top Bottom