For any math whizzes in the crowd

• Thread starter TheOtherOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

So let me start by saying, that I was, and still am great at basic math, but when it comes to algebra through calculus, it might as well be Japanese. So, if I had an 8x9ft area, how many 1 gal pots would fit in that area at a 6.5' diameter? I was thinking about doing the sea of green method using autoflower strains, and could also use insight on that from an experience perspective. Thanks guys

az2000

az2000

So let me start by saying, that I was, and still am great at basic math, but when it comes to algebra through calculus, it might as well be Japanese. So, if I had an 8x9ft area, how many 1 gal pots would fit in that area at a 6.5' diameter? I was thinking about doing the sea of green method using autoflower strains, and could also use insight on that from an experience perspective. Thanks guys

You need to know the diameter of the container. I don't think it's a standard size (some are round, some square). Just divide the width by the diameter of containers. Then the length. Multiply the two. (5" diameter pot? 19 fit crossways, 21 lengthways. 399 total.).

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

You need to know the diameter of the container. I don't think it's a standard size (some are round, some square). Just divide the width by the diameter of containers. Then the length. Multiply the two. (5" diameter pot? 19 fit crossways, 21 lengthways. 399 total.).

It seems as though he is trying to fit the pots within a circle with a 6.5' diameter, I guess to keep them as centred and close to the light as possible.

I love a good math problem but google is your friend not your enemy. Here you go: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

What are the dimensions of the pots?
Are they square? Round?
How are you watering them? Drip? Hand water?
Are you going to leave room between them to get in there and work them if you have to?

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

What are the dimensions of the pots?
Are they square? Round?
How are you watering them? Drip? Hand water?
Are you going to leave room between them to get in there and work them if you have to?
pots are round, 6.5 inches. The room is 8x9ft rectanglish , currently handwattering, but will eventually switching to a pump/wand style , but am open to suggestions, I just dont haverunning water on that floor

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

pots are round, 6.5 inches. The room is 8x9ft rectanglish , currently handwattering, but will eventually switching to a pump/wand style , but am open to suggestions, I just dont haverunning water on that floor
ok, so you're going sea of green.
Are you starting with seeds? Or clones?
How long will you let them veg?
How much are the plants going to bush during veg? Some are not ideal for SOG and will bush out on ya no matter what. I'd think you'd want some room in between them just for good air circulation. Powdery mildew and mold suck azz. Gawd forbid ya get mites.

You should be able to get approx. 195 pots in there if you're just cramming them in there side by side.

Hand watering that many pots gets annoying. Even with a wand. Not to mention cleanup. Spills. Run-off. Keep ya busier than a one legged man at an azz kicking contest.

If you're plenty experienced and are up for it, go for it.

Me, I'd drop the numbers down to less than 1/2 that. But I'm pushing 60 and don't feel like working that hard.

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

ok, so you're going sea of green.
Are you starting with seeds? Or clones?
How long will you let them veg?
How much are the plants going to bush during veg? Some are not ideal for SOG and will bush out on ya no matter what. I'd think you'd want some room in between them just for good air circulation. Powdery mildew and mold suck azz. Gawd forbid ya get mites.

You should be able to get approx. 195 pots in there if you're just cramming them in there side by side.

Hand watering that many pots gets annoying. Even with a wand. Not to mention cleanup. Spills. Run-off. Keep ya busier than a one legged man at an azz kicking contest.

If you're plenty experienced and are up for it, go for it.

Me, I'd drop the numbers down to less than 1/2 that. But I'm pushing 60 and don't feel like working that hard.
I am experienced, but it has been a few years since i have had my own project to work on. That being said the op is a bit slapped together with intent of upgrades in the future; just trying to get the ball rolling, so I am working with clones and seeds, some of which i am informed in, and some of which I am not, so I am aware that this first year is going to be a bit or trial and error, and getting my sea legs back. Planning on getting to a point where i will veg for 3-5 weeks depending on response. Doing the sweaty work is of no consequence. Also was planning on using about 2/3 to 3/4 of the available space, which would leaving me strategic positions to move myself in and out for pruning, watering, etc.yes powdery sucks ass and even more so does boetrytris(SP?) Also this will be something i will implement in my next go round, as my current situation is seeing 3 different heights of plants due to trying to slap everything together piece by piece. Thanks for any advice

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

was also thinking about rooting out an auto strain or 2 that I like and just run 100 fem seeds to fill the room, my room isnt very tall so i think autos would be perfect

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You can fit (barely) 4 x 1gallon plastic pots per square foot of space.
I used to run 49 plants in each 4x4 tray, so if you ran 2 4x8 trays you could pack in 196 plants, plus or minus a few.

Latest posts

Top Bottom