for hobby breeders <us closet folk>

• Thread starter poutpup07
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

poutpup07

how many people here make there own beans of particular plants that you just knew she / he was a keeper from the start. im currently workinh with gheeks grand daddy purple, og kush x super skunk crosses with hashberry from mandla,shihkeberryx super skunk. i recently ordered the bubba bx1 <money sent yesterday>and cant wait to see if i get a keeper from her or him....fingers crossed but it s only 10 so you never know. i still have two of the original o.g. kush x super skunk seeds that im praying for a miracle with but if nothing worthy shows....buy more beans.
anyways back to th point i think the seriose closet breeder can achive some very fine work.......in fact some of the finest because he/she is honing in one plants for stability homozygous i believe is the trait....the down side is you can only make one at a time the plus side you can be sure its gonna meet all kinds of crazy standards because that plant was all you slept , ate ,and breathed....
anyways kudos to us small time closet growers who hopefully sometime will make it bigtime
pout

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
PP have you grown the Hashberry yet ?

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Good thread poutpup.

I've finished Super Skunk x Hashberry & SuperSilverHaze x Super Skunk crosses recently, and testers have just sprouted in other people's rooms. I dream of GDP and urkle. That's just not anywhere to be found here. But hey, the guy next door to me could be growing it for all I know. :)

I'm taking a different approach to closet breeding now though. I'm going for polyhybrids like SSH. Crosses of this nature like (Indi A x Sat A) x (Indi B x Sat B), started with mostly stable base strains, yield unpredictable offspring and I think unpredictable is where you find really spectacular moms. That's certainly been my experience with SSH.

This is not to diminish homozygous breeding practices at all, if I had the space I would go that way. It just feels like the selection numbers need to be pretty huge if you're trying to stabilize more than one trait.

P

poutpup07

yes

i grew out the hashberry by itself and then i pollinated my best two hashberry plants with og kush x super skunk
the hashberry was a delight to grow with sound yields of resin coated nugs i did a good a mount of suppercropping ,tying and training to the hashberry moms and they seem to love it.

as far as the hashberry x o.g. supre skunk this three way classic shows very few differances in growth being "pole pot" i am very much a closet breeder but only with the best genetics thatcan bought or have gifted cuz after all if someone needs it for medicine they get it for free.
anyways i hope my closet breeding helps me gain the elites and find a few of my own so when im ready i can do the seed thing

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Right on PP , I did a run of her and the yield was great but I didn't care for her smoke but thats just because I thought she would be more of a knockout . I still have like 5 packs . Best of luck with your work :yes

P

poutpup07

zoo

my 10 pack fro mmandala was good....i found two fem "keepers" in the mix i bred those fems to my og skunk cross.if you grow it again look for short compact slow growing plants with very little room between nodes and a black currant smell....those were the two best phenos to look for in selecting a mother hashberry plant.
pout

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Cool PP ,The Hashberry is a monster yielder also the Speedqueen was very nice

P

ProGroWannabe

Good thread topic poutpup! I too believe that the closet seed-maker (if you will) can make some fine crosses. Sure, the real pros will hammer us in the dirt when it comes to the biology behind it, but we're not in it for the biology except as it pertains to things like combining ability, and traits that get passed on. For me, I can't grow out 100's of plants to determine what traits are dominant and what are recessive. I have to find that out the long, drawn-out way through test grows and free bean give-away reports.

In my humble opinion, I think the difference between a "normal keeper" plant and a great plant is really a small difference. Sure, the great ones are harder to find and create, but us closet hacks as they call us, can still make a shitload of keeper strains while stumbling upon the great ones now and then.

P

poutpup07

i understand the allells, and punnett squares,homo and heterozygous traits, generations such as f1 ,f2,parental lines.....i just think that if one pays close attentionand gets to know the individual plant that you are working on thne you will be able to do ALL that is necessary to grow your lady to full potential.
sorry to ramble i just smoked some purple that knocked my dick in the dirt
peace
pout

P

poutpup07

to mee its all simply getting as aquainted with that plant as possible finding out likes and dislikes,because while a group of the same genetics can be generalized they can NOT be individualized because everything grows different than the next on the smallest of levels....once again i'm rambling and will stop. one more thing
with a few spare hours got to barnes and nobles and a buy the booksOR read em while at work or have a friend buy em for you.
also the library has good info on the topics thats where i obtain alot of my info plus my girl is taking a cellular and microbiology course at school this year look for books by Gregor Mendel for a more in depth review
peace
pout

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah pup, I have a lot of excerpts from Mendel as well as R.C. Clarke that I review from time to time saved from online sources. They are definitely the authorities on what we do.

Overall though, I just love makin beans! I figure if I use two parents that are both of high quality....regardless of hetero. and homo. traits, the offspring will still make for some damn good freebies.

I guess if I had to say what I like most about it, it would be the art of selection. And I truly believe that one can learn the art of selection through experience. I personally don't think one HAS to know the biology inside and out. It most certainly helps, and for the most perfect of results in the fastest time, it becomes necessary. But for what I do, the fun is in making a plan, following the plan, then seeing what the offspring have to offer.......what got passed on from the P1.

I'm rambling too, but I like to ramble about closet-breeding.

P

poutpup07

books by gregor mendel

...........mmust have been ripped....just smoked a hogsleg of hashpowder loaded og skunk hybrid of somekind. anyways i am trying to get familiar with gregor mendels theorys and facts about the passing of genetics....butnow im going to bed as i am tired and cant see the keyboard
pup

P

poutpup07

ok ok one more

personal selection....or "the eye" is also quite important in finding plants that will mix VERY well and not just averagely that has as much to do with it as anything.
peace
pup

Top Bottom