Found these little fast moving pests only fan leaves anyone no what they are, there on my stickys to

• Thread starter Herbofwar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Anyone have a clue what these are, they hide in the ridges of my fan leaves, they move fast

• ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ?

• ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Herbofwar

Herbofwar

Found these little fast moving pests only fan leaves anyone no what they are there on my stick
Found these little fast moving pests only fan leaves anyone no what they are there on my stick

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can you get *anything* that's in focus? You've definitely got some fungus gnats goin' on in there.

Herbofwar

Herbofwar

There's actually a lot of fungus nats. Grrr. I used my iPhone to take the pic, I'm goin to get better pics today. Do thripes move fast ? What's the best way to rid these suckers. So stressed:/

Camdawg

Camdawg

I got thrips once, not bad found maybe 3 little hopper grub lookin fucks. I wasn't dead sure what they were ay first glance I jumped back about 3 feet when I saw that grub lookin fuck jump. One good spritz of foxfarms don't bug me (had it laying around for ever) and I never saw those freaky jumping bastards again.

Califlower

Califlower

Kinda look like fungus gnats, but need larger magnification.

This is helpful; http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

the takeaway;

identification: similar in appearance to mosquitos, "Adult fungus gnats have slender legs with segmented antennae that are longer than their head."

life cycle: "egg, larva, pupa, and adult. The tiny eggs and oblong pupae occur in damp organic media where females lay eggs and larvae feed."

monitoring: "Chunks of raw potato placed in pots with the cut sides down (not the peels) are sometimes used to monitor for larvae."

soil: "avoid overwatering and provide good drainage. Allow the surface of container soil to dry between waterings."

trapping: yellow sticky and "raw potato chunks placed in the soil are very attractive to fungus gnat larvae... trap them away from plant roots. After a few days in a pot, remove infested chunks, dispose of them, and replace with fresh ones."

biological control: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis (Bti) (Gnatrol) (bacterium), and Steinernema feltiae (nematode)

The Bti larvicide can be found in various forms, such as Gnatrol and Quick Kill Mosquito Bits

This is good too; http://www.repotme.com/pest-control/Fungus-Gnat-Control.html

the takeaway;

"The key to getting rid of Fungus Gnats is to disrupt their life cycle. Their life cycle is about 28 days and the adult fly lives for about 7 of those days."

"Placing fine mesh screen over the mix and any openings to the pot will similarly restrict the flying gnats from leaving or entering the mix. Weedblock fabric can be perfect for the task as it has very tiny holes which allow water and air to pass but not the Gnats. This approach also keeps the Gnats from completing the cycle of leaving mating and returning to lay eggs. Ladies stockings can work well this way as well."

I think I have some too! Good luck!

Califlower

Califlower

I got rid of mine with yellow sticky traps and letting the soil dry out really well. If they come back I may try mosquito bits.

Califlower

Califlower

Herbofwar,

I hope you got 'em. On mine some came back. So I let the soil dry out really really well, then I covered and taped over the pots with landscaping plastic after fork tilling and watering. Then I went in search of every flying or crawling adult I could find, then I vacuumed the lights. Every day I seek out adults and squish them. I have yellow sticky traps up, but I need to get more. Since the adult lives for 7 days, hopefully by day 9 all adults will be dead, and since the soil dried out, hopefully all eggs and larvae died.

I think they rode in on the FFOF.

I didn't order any Gnatrol... yet.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Monterey garden insect spray works great. Kills the thrips in minutes. Most hydro shos and garden supply stores have it. 2 oz per gallon if I remember correctly.

Califlower

Califlower

Well for me it is fungus gnats, but not thrips, I don't think.

I wonder if it is bad to completely cover the pot with plastic for too long. I hope a week isn't too long. I need to find a scrap of landscaping cloth maybe instead.

Califlower

Califlower

Broke down and got the Gnatrol and more yellow sticky traps. The plastic had to come off for a watering. I'll beat the Gnats yet!

texasjack

texasjack

I live in the swamps and gnats are bad bad...I gotta fight em ever grow.

I use GoGnats and it works like a charm... immediately. I changed my rez yesterday and added some. I have too. Don't worry about the 1s flyin around they don't live long. Put redwine vinegar in some cups it they bother you... they go to those. Its the larva in the roots that get you.

I tried Gnatrol in hydro and it takes quite awhile to work(not sure if it even did?) and stinks. It grows some funky shit in the rez...I thru most of it out.

Good luck those things are a PITA!

Latest posts

Top Bottom