Fox Farm schedule great with Sativas/Hybrids but auto-flowers all getting bud rot...

• Thread starter harryohm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
harryohm

harryohm

Hello all!
I'm brand new to this site and to posting anything on one of these forums for that matter. Not really sure which forum is the best for growing but whatever... I've been using much of the Fox Farm line, from the trio (BB, GB, TB), to Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching. I use it almost exactly as they recommend and have had great results! growing mostly sativas/hybrids with a few autos thrown in. I'm growing in a greenhouse and I'm now into week 3 of flower and just switched more than half of them from OS to BB, while steady on with the big 3... the only issues I've had is that they are all so big that some have hit the roof!! luckily I have the room to move them around and put a few outside. Not a bad problem to have. the majority of my crop are all feminized sativas/hybrids and they couldn't be better. My one issue is with the autos and this has happened now to every auto I've grown this year (8 autos, 4 already harvested), and that's that they've developed bud rot!!! I harvested the ones in the first crop due to BR a month ago and just today I cut off a number of buds on the second crop that had beginning signs of it... they are all tiny spots of rot but it kinda freaks me out. Did I get bad seeds? is it bad genetics? are autos generally better under lights? All the autos are outside now and set well apart from the rest as I don't want to infect the others. I thought the BR might be due to the humidity in the GH, but I've got 6 fans going 24/7 in there and the humidity is not bad. The sativas love it!!! any thoughts? I probably won't do autos in the GH ever again... that said at the beginning of August I put in the rest of my autos just to see if I could get a 4th crop this summer and that's the pic with all the babies...
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0498.jpeg
IMG_0501.jpeg

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello all!
I'm brand new to this site and to posting anything on one of these forums for that matter. Not really sure which forum is the best for growing but whatever... I've been using much of the Fox Farm line, from the trio (BB, GB, TB), to Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching. I use it almost exactly as they recommend and have had great results! growing mostly sativas/hybrids with a few autos thrown in. I'm growing in a greenhouse and I'm now into week 3 of flower and just switched more than half of them from OS to BB, while steady on with the big 3... the only issues I've had is that they are all so big that some have hit the roof!! luckily I have the room to move them around and put a few outside. Not a bad problem to have. the majority of my crop are all feminized sativas/hybrids and they couldn't be better. My one issue is with the autos and this has happened now to every auto I've grown this year (8 autos, 4 already harvested), and that's that they've developed bud rot!!! I harvested the ones in the first crop due to BR a month ago and just today I cut off a number of buds on the second crop that had beginning signs of it... they are all tiny spots of rot but it kinda freaks me out. Did I get bad seeds? is it bad genetics? are autos generally better under lights? All the autos are outside now and set well apart from the rest as I don't want to infect the others. I thought the BR might be due to the humidity in the GH, but I've got 6 fans going 24/7 in there and the humidity is not bad. The sativas love it!!! any thoughts? I probably won't do autos in the GH ever again... that said at the beginning of August I put in the rest of my autos just to see if I could get a 4th crop this summer and that's the pic with all the babies...View attachment 1162129View attachment 1162131View attachment 1162132View attachment 1162133View attachment 1162134View attachment 1162135...
What is humidity not bad? Are you checking multiple times throught the day and night?

Bud rot is an environmental issue. Some genetics are more resistant than others and bud size plays a large role.

Humidity often spikes hard after the temps drop so I would start looking once the sun is close to going down.

Do you have air exchange in the GH?

harryohm

harryohm

What is humidity not bad? Are you checking multiple times throught the day and night?

Bud rot is an environmental issue. Some genetics are more resistant than others and bud size plays a large role.

Humidity often spikes hard after the temps drop so I would start looking once the sun is close to going down.

Do you have air exchange in the GH?
Yes, I have very good air exchange. I have six fans, 4 blowing in fresh air, 1 from the front door and 3 from windows and 2 pulling out the old air from the top through screened openings. The fans are on 24/7. The GH is 10'x20' with a max height of 10'. I have a hygrometer in there but not sure how accurate it is... I do check it often and the highest reading I've ever recorded was 87 F with 79% humidity, but that was on a hot steamy day right after a big rain when the sun came out. Typically the humidity level is around 50% with fluctuations on both sides. I can't really put a dehumidifier in there and I'm not sure how else I could possibly lower the humidity... the strange thing is that all the BR happened with the autos at exactly the same stage of mid flower and at the exact same place on each plant for 2 completely separate grows; 2nd bud down on a lower branch. So far I've nipped it in the bud (Ha!) and am watching very closely for any spread. with the last grow I pulled them early to stop it spreading and to save the crop. hoping I won't have to do that this time, but I'm ready if I do...

harryohm

harryohm

Yes, I have very good air exchange. I have six fans, 4 blowing in fresh air, 1 from the front door and 3 from windows and 2 pulling out the old air from the top through screened openings. The fans are on 24/7. The GH is 10'x20' with a max height of 10'. I have a hygrometer in there but not sure how accurate it is... I do check it often and the highest reading I've ever recorded was 87 F with 79% humidity, but that was on a hot steamy day right after a big rain when the sun came out. Typically the humidity level is around 50% with fluctuations on both sides. I can't really put a dehumidifier in there and I'm not sure how else I could possibly lower the humidity... the strange thing is that all the BR happened with the autos at exactly the same stage of mid flower and at the exact same place on each plant for 2 completely separate grows; 2nd bud down on a lower branch. So far I've nipped it in the bud (Ha!) and am watching very closely for any spread. with the last grow I pulled them early to stop it spreading and to save the crop. hoping I won't have to do that this time, but I'm ready if I do...
And thankfully none of the main non-auto feminized sativas have had this issue at all, they are all huge and healthy as can be and loving the GH!!! That's why I wondered if it could be genetics... Maybe I should turn one of the fans around so it points out pulls more of the "old" air out? any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm ot an outdoor grower but my mouth isn't the greatest at holding back what my brain says so here goes.

Bigger fatter buds have a higher chance of bud rot. When at the mercy of nature all you can do is adapt so what my mind is saying is.....

Top the plants prone to bud rot a few times. This will give you pretty much the same yield only many smaller buds instead of donkey dick colas prone to rot.

Probably the easiest solution I can think of in your situation based on my lack of outdoor and greenhouse knowledge that's about the best I can come up with. Maybe others have a more proven idea.

Also silica from early veg until mid flower will aid in some resistance.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And thankfully none of the main non-auto feminized sativas have had this issue at all, they are all huge and healthy as can be and loving the GH!!! That's why I wondered if it could be genetics... Maybe I should turn one of the fans around so it points out pulls more of the "old" air out? any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Another thing there... sativas will fair better because the bud density it typically lower and they have less compact foliage to create microclimates and allow more air flow through the plants.

So you may want to look for something more sativa leaning in you GH

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

What @Aqua Man said. Also, Have you been spraying them with anything? I see some spots that shouldn't be there naturally.
You need to clean out your greenhouse after this grow and destroy every living thing in there. Mold spores can hide with no trouble.
What is around you in your neighborhood? A dry cleaners perhaps, or a laundromat?

harryohm

harryohm

What @Aqua Man said. Also, Have you been spraying them with anything? I see some spots that shouldn't be there naturally.
You need to clean out your greenhouse after this grow and destroy every living thing in there. Mold spores can hide with no trouble.
What is around you in your neighborhood? A dry cleaners perhaps, or a laundromat?
I live in the middle of the country, haven't sprayed the leaves with anything and all I have left in the greenhouse are sativas. Also, the GH is only 4 months old with no signs of mold. Thanks for all the suggestions!

harryohm

harryohm

Another thing there... sativas will fair better because the bud density it typically lower and they have less compact foliage to create microclimates and allow more air flow through the plants.

So you may want to look for something more sativa leaning in you GH
All I have left in the GH are sativas and sativa hybrids, and like you said the buds are much airier so hopefully I won't have that problem again... and all the autos are now outside and fairly far from GH and with all the BR cut off...

harryohm

harryohm

I'm ot an outdoor grower but my mouth isn't the greatest at holding back what my brain says so here goes.

Bigger fatter buds have a higher chance of bud rot. When at the mercy of nature all you can do is adapt so what my mind is saying is.....

Top the plants prone to bud rot a few times. This will give you pretty much the same yield only many smaller buds instead of donkey dick colas prone to rot.

Probably the easiest solution I can think of in your situation based on my lack of outdoor and greenhouse knowledge that's about the best I can come up with. Maybe others have a more proven idea.

Also silica from early veg until mid flower will aid in some resistance.
Thanks! And how would one add silica? is it a solid or a liquid? any product to recommend? and would Bushwacker Cal-Mag help at all? I ask because I just bought it and am not sure how to use it other than a tsp per gallon once a week, like the Kelp Me Kelp You...

harryohm

harryohm

I personally choose to discard any genetics that get bud rot. And I only get bud rot when I buy feminized seeds. And the plants grow huge buds. Clones are never an issue.
Ok, this is what I'm talking about!!! Thank you! I'm pretty new to growing the Kali but have been gardening my whole life. So when I see something happen again and again, bud rot, and it seems random and it doesn't seem to be connected to the conditions I've set up I have to think it's the genetics. I guess I have to go old school and look for another source for seeds... although the normal non-auto feminized sativas I used are all thriving and perfectly healthy...

Ponky

Ponky

Ok, this is what I'm talking about!!! Thank you! I'm pretty new to growing the Kali but have been gardening my whole life. So when I see something happen again and again, bud rot, and it seems random and it doesn't seem to be connected to the conditions I've set up I have to think it's the genetics. I guess I have to go old school and look for another source for seeds... although the normal non-auto feminized sativas I used are all thriving and perfectly healthy...
I have found that kush seems to withstand bud rot the best. And getting big buds seems to be counter productive. I want medium bud size. Multiple sites. 48" max height. And most genetics I get that are good are from a known clone source. Fem seeds.... I haven't found a good source. It's not just you that's for sure. Bud rot never happens most of the time. I blame seed stock.

logdog

logdog

Ive never grown in a greenhouse so take this for what its worth, but years ago I used to grow in an old dairy barn basement (really damp in summer) so humidity was a huge issue with white powdery mold and some bud rot, what I did was put small fans blowing pretty strong across the bottoms of the plants right at the top of the buckets slightly pointed up and it pretty much solved it. My point being I had a bad humidity problem for sure and you do not but I am wondering if additional highly directed air circulation would help, so take it with a grain of salt, hope you get it figured out.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hello all!
I'm brand new to this site and to posting anything on one of these forums for that matter. Not really sure which forum is the best for growing but whatever... I've been using much of the Fox Farm line, from the trio (BB, GB, TB), to Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching. I use it almost exactly as they recommend and have had great results! growing mostly sativas/hybrids with a few autos thrown in. I'm growing in a greenhouse and I'm now into week 3 of flower and just switched more than half of them from OS to BB, while steady on with the big 3... the only issues I've had is that they are all so big that some have hit the roof!! luckily I have the room to move them around and put a few outside. Not a bad problem to have. the majority of my crop are all feminized sativas/hybrids and they couldn't be better. My one issue is with the autos and this has happened now to every auto I've grown this year (8 autos, 4 already harvested), and that's that they've developed bud rot!!! I harvested the ones in the first crop due to BR a month ago and just today I cut off a number of buds on the second crop that had beginning signs of it... they are all tiny spots of rot but it kinda freaks me out. Did I get bad seeds? is it bad genetics? are autos generally better under lights? All the autos are outside now and set well apart from the rest as I don't want to infect the others. I thought the BR might be due to the humidity in the GH, but I've got 6 fans going 24/7 in there and the humidity is not bad. The sativas love it!!! any thoughts? I probably won't do autos in the GH ever again... that said at the beginning of August I put in the rest of my autos just to see if I could get a 4th crop this summer and that's the pic with all the babies...View attachment 1162129View attachment 1162131View attachment 1162132View attachment 1162133View attachment 1162134View attachment 1162135...

I haven't read every post, and I'm sure @Aqua Man has already pointed you in the right direction. I have a greenhouse with double wall polycarb glass. You've had bad weather, friend. You can do everything right and still struggle with the weather the way it's been.

I have enough air flow in my greenhouse to adequately cool 4000 sq ft of attic space (two 1650 cfm attic fans). When the weather has been as hot and wet as it's been here in Michigan since the start of July, it's very difficult to control bud rot as the flowers begin to put on weight. I expect you'll see your photo-period plants beginning to show signs as they plump up. Outside in the open air, they might have a chance. A greenhouse will be difficult to control unless you can open it up and allow the hot steamy air to escape. Otherwise, it condenses at night and if it drips on your flowers, or your flowers are against the wet glass/plastic ... bud rot.

For this reason and due to a situation with my neighbor, I grew my summer crop indoors this year. I'm glad I did. I would have the same problems on my hands that you're dealing with now if I had them in my greenhouse like I originally planned to do.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have seen this happen a few times now.
I think it is because the breeder selling the seeds has not stabilized the strain yet. Hermies, weird rot, strange growth patterns...
I have not had to buy seeds in some time, but when I do, I will be looking for specific traits. No F2's, F4 or more down the line.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Definitely genetics play a role and plant health play a huge role. But there needs to be certain envirmwntal conditions met and a vector to become infected.

Silica will definitely help in the vector area making the tissue harder to infect.

Plant health is a must. Unhealthy plants are always very vulnerable.

Environment is absolutely key and we often forget it's not so much the environment in the room that leads to issues but the microclimates right at the surface of the leaves and bud's.

I'm not saying you don't have enough air flow. But I have many times come across an environmental issue where the grower feels its good and its not. This is often due to a difference in one or more of the environmental factors. EG. Under high humidity I would have no issue having enough airflow to wiggle some leaves in the buds.

Favorable is high humidity nights and low humidity days for the perfect storm for spore production and germination.

I would stick to less dense plants leaning sativa. Add the silica. Look for more resistant strains, top them at least 2 times if they produce bigger buds, try to keep night humidity down, hit em hard with fans when humid as in higher humidity its much harder to wind burn them.

And you should have no issues.

Like @MIGrampaUSA talks about Michigan... pretty much they have to deal with that every year. I think he is bang on but trying to improve all of the others is also a good idea.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Definitely genetics play a role and plant health play a huge role. But there needs to be certain envirmwntal conditions met and a vector to become infected.

Silica will definitely help in the vector area making the tissue harder to infect.

Plant health is a must. Unhealthy plants are always very vulnerable.

Environment is absolutely key and we often forget it's not so much the environment in the room that leads to issues but the microclimates right at the surface of the leaves and bud's.

I'm not saying you don't have enough air flow. But I have many times come across an environmental issue where the grower feels its good and its not. This is often due to a difference in one or more of the environmental factors. EG. Under high humidity I would have no issue having enough airflow to wiggle some leaves in the buds.

Favorable is high humidity nights and low humidity days for the perfect storm for spore production and germination.

I stick to less dense plants leaning sativa. Add the silica. Look for more resistant strains, top the at least 2 times if they produce bigger buds, try to keep nigh humidity down, hit em hard with fans when humid as in higher humidity its much harder to wind burn them.

And you should have no issues.

Like @MIGrampaUSA talks about Michigan... pretty much they have to deal with that every year. I think he is bang on but trying to improve all of the others is also a good idea.
And a few micronutes do help. Especially zinc. It strengthens the cell walls against invasion by a virus or bacteria. Not to much though...

Top Bottom