Fox Farm schedule great with Sativas/Hybrids but auto-flowers all getting bud rot...

• Thread starter harryohm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Like @MIGrampaUSA talks about Michigan... pretty much they have to deal with that every year. I think he is bang on but trying to improve all of the others is also a good idea.

It's worse than normal this year. June was hot and dry. So dry that we were in drought like conditions. End of June on through until now, it's been unusually hot and extremely humid. Typical Michigan weather is much dryer July on through about the middle of September. Rainy days. Cooler nights. Wet greenhouse glass from condensation. October brings plenty of rain and overcast days... and nights in the 40's down into the 30's. It sets up a scenario where WPM, bud rot, and fungus thrive.

The answer: In a more typical year ... Smaller, earlier maturing plants that finish in very early October. This year? Without either state of the art technology or an insane effort, it will be difficult to avoid these issues even if you're doing everything else right. Good genetics and healthy plants will only get you so far. The rest really is up to mother nature.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It's worse than normal this year. June was hot and dry. So dry that we were in drought like conditions. End of June on through until now, it's been unusually hot and extremely humid. Typical Michigan weather is much dryer July on through about the middle of September. Rainy days. Cooler nights. Wet greenhouse glass from condensation. October brings plenty of rain and overcast days... and nights in the 40's down into the 30's. It sets up a scenario where WPM, bud rot, and fungus thrive.

The answer: In a more typical year ... Smaller, earlier maturing plants that finish in very early October. This year? Without either state of the art technology or an insane effort, it will be difficult to avoid these issues even if you're doing everything else right. Good genetics and healthy plants will only get you so far. The rest really is up to mother nature.
What kind of greenhouse do you have? Pix?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Double wall poly hoop house. This picture is from last year when I built it. I don't have quite all the glass in it yet or the attic fan installed in the back.
Greenhouse South Side

Greenhouse back

Greenhouse front

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yep, the fan is going to make a huge difference for you. Put a bug screen over it on the outside.
On the intake side, (back of the greenhouse) I have a furnace filter behind a return air grate. the gable attic fan with a louvered air flow vent so that it shuts when the fan is off. I also have a chicken wire protective guard to keep fingers out. Metal fan blades would not be kind to young fingers and with grandchildren, not taking chances even though the greenhouse is off limits ...

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

On the intake side, (back of the greenhouse) I have a furnace filter behind a return air grate. the gable attic fan with a louvered air flow vent so that it shuts when the fan is off. I also have a chicken wire protective guard to keep fingers out. Metal fan blades would not be kind to young fingers and with grandchildren, not taking chances even though the greenhouse is off limits ...
Ideally, you want air in on one side and air out on the other.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ideally, you want air in on one side and air out on the other.
That's exactly what I have. It's like a wind tunnel in there when both fans are on. One 1650 cfm fan for intake air. One 1650 cfm fan for exhaust. It moves a lot of air. I'll take a picture tomorrow. It's empty other than a rain barrel. I have plans to use that barrel with a pump to pump nutrients to next year's crop. This summer has not been good to me as far as working outside. Too hot most days and work with frequent travel has me busier than I'd like to be. My wife has taken over my indoor grow.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That's exactly what I have. It's like a wind tunnel in there when both fans are on. One 1650 cfm fan for intake air. One 1650 cfm fan for exhaust. It moves a lot of air. I'll take a picture tomorrow. It's empty other than a rain barrel. I have plans to use that barrel with a pump to pump nutrients to next year's crop. This summer has not been good to me as far as working outside. Too hot most days and work with frequent travel has me busier than I'd like to be. My wife has taken over my indoor grow.
One other thing, The intake should be low to the ground and the exit high up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm sure I'll come up with something. A walk through the heating and cooling section at Menards or Home Depot and the problem would be solved. Just remove the louvered attic vent and chicken wire and bolt on a piece of duct work. Air flow is now at ground level.
Yup... not sure how crucial it would be with that size and distance. Especially if you have circulation fans in there.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do need a few oscillating fans in there. That has been on my to do list ... which is pretty long right now. lol
I'll trade ya 😁.

I can relate bro. Not enough seconds in a minute, minuets in an hour, hours in a day or days in a yr.

And sometimes you just need to say fuck everything, it's me time as hard as that can be and use our special gift as guys... selective hearing, reading and responding lmao.

Disclaimer: at your own risk. 😉

harryohm

harryohm

I have found that kush seems to withstand bud rot the best. And getting big buds seems to be counter productive. I want medium bud size. Multiple sites. 48" max height. And most genetics I get that are good are from a known clone source. Fem seeds.... I haven't found a good source. It's not just you that's for sure. Bud rot never happens most of the time. I blame seed stock.
I'm pretty new to growing but have never grown from fem seeds or autos so this is good to know. My state having just gone legal I wouldn't know where to get clones from so I'm kind of working alone here. I ordered seeds from online and went for it... thankfully all of my fem sativas are doing brilliantly! fingers crossed. Where would I get clones???

harryohm

harryohm

I haven't read every post, and I'm sure @Aqua Man has already pointed you in the right direction. I have a greenhouse with double wall polycarb glass. You've had bad weather, friend. You can do everything right and still struggle with the weather the way it's been.

I have enough air flow in my greenhouse to adequately cool 4000 sq ft of attic space (two 1650 cfm attic fans). When the weather has been as hot and wet as it's been here in Michigan since the start of July, it's very difficult to control bud rot as the flowers begin to put on weight. I expect you'll see your photo-period plants beginning to show signs as they plump up. Outside in the open air, they might have a chance. A greenhouse will be difficult to control unless you can open it up and allow the hot steamy air to escape. Otherwise, it condenses at night and if it drips on your flowers, or your flowers are against the wet glass/plastic ... bud rot.

For this reason and due to a situation with my neighbor, I grew my summer crop indoors this year. I'm glad I did. I would have the same problems on my hands that you're dealing with now if I had them in my greenhouse like I originally planned to do.
Yes. the weather has been a bitch this summer but my GH has openings on all sides and fans in every opening as well as fans pulling out the used air at the tops. It never feels particularly humid in there and the plants are all getting plenty of airflow in my opinion...

harryohm

harryohm

Yes. the weather has been a bitch this summer but my GH has openings on all sides and fans in every opening as well as fans pulling out the used air at the tops. It never feels particularly humid in there and the plants are all getting plenty of airflow in my opinion...
and a good example of the low humidity is that I've never once seen condensation on the inside walls of the GH

harryohm

harryohm

I bought one of those 10' x '20 carports from harbor freight ($199) and covered it in 9 mil plastic sheeting, then built a wall of windows on either end, one side with a screen door (and a regular door for when it gets cold) and the other with a large screened window. I then cut out a large window on either side and covered it with screen. I have 6 fans with 3 oscillating fans blowing in fresh air, one stationary floor fan at the front door, and 2 stationary exhaust fans up near the top. In cold weather I can cover the screen windows with the plastic I cut away and it all works very well. I will attach photos after I get back from my morning watering...

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
I have found that kush seems to withstand bud rot the best. And getting big buds seems to be counter productive. I want medium bud size. Multiple sites. 48" max height. And most genetics I get that are good are from a known clone source. Fem seeds.... I haven't found a good source. It's not just you that's for sure. Bud rot never happens most of the time. I blame seed stock.
Ponky,

Any thoughts about why fem seeds seem to lead to bud rot? Methodology matter?

Cheers
Landy

Latest posts

Top Bottom