• Thread starter Maddog26630
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Maddog26630

Can anyone till me if this is a good soil for a beginner grower

M

Maddog26630

So I am using foxfarm ocean Forest with that cause of reason why my plants are growing so slow because of the soils hotter then the FFHF

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

I am no expert by any means, post a pic of your plant and I am sure someone with a lot more experience than I will be able to give you some great advice.

PiGrow

PiGrow

Hey!

I absolutely love the stuff. Its also a great 'buffer' for a new grower.

I use the following mix in equal parts:

Fox Farm Happy Frog / Fox Farm Ocean Forest / Perlite

For a single plant or small grow I buy 12qt bags of each and mix everything together.

I use a lot of perlite to keep up aeration --> This really helps especially if you're indoor. It's really easy to over water when you're new, so the perlite will really help ensure you stay rot-less :)

I've used that mix several times with success.

If you need to save literally all of 5.00 --> Roots Organic Potting Soil and Perlite makes a good substitute. Ive grown in it as well with really good success, but the Fox Farm mix is my tried and true go-to.

Happy gardening!

M

Maddog26630

Ya I'm using FFOF but that's all I'm using is it to late to use the FFHF....because at this point I'm not sure if I'm overwatering or under watering...this my first grow and I'm have all kinds of problems...

M

Maddog26630

So if i watered yesterday then I shouldn't wather today right...but someone said it look dry but it also feels heavy when I pick them up

PiGrow

PiGrow

So if i watered yesterday then I shouldn't wather today right...but someone said it look dry but it also feels heavy when I pick them up

I would most definitely not. My first time I had the same problem - overwatering .

The biggest suggestion I can give you now is ‘let them droop!’ - the plants leaves will droop down when it is truly dehydrated. Once that happens you know your dry, then water again. Your container should be very light as well, signaling there’s little water in them.

I primarily grew in 3 gal buckets in the past, and had myself down to watering about once a week on average. Early in the lifecycle it may be once every 8-9 days, later in the lifecycle during flowering it may be as frequent as every 4-5 days.

This is all dependent on your relative humidity and your soil mix and container size

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Go by feel not by somebody saying it looks dry. Stick your finger in the drain hole at bottom of the pot and see if it feels wet or dry, and only water if it's dry

It's not a matter of ffof or ffof, it's as was said above adding the proper amount of perlite which is 20 to 30%

also fill a pot the same size as your growing in with the same medium and leave it dry

then when you don't know if you should water or not pick them both up and if they weigh about the same that's when you water

but if the plant is still heavier than the dry pot do not water!

this is the best way to learn to water properly good luck

Bigdaddygrow

Bigdaddygrow

I've used Fox Farms Ocean Forest for 3 grows now (mixed with perlite) and have had no problems. Remember not to use any nutrients for the first 3 weeks or so of your plants life because the FF soil has enough nutes in it to get your girls started. Good Luck!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would most definitely not. My first time I had the same problem - overwatering .

The biggest suggestion I can give you now is ‘let them droop!’ - the plants leaves will droop down when it is truly dehydrated. Once that happens you know your dry, then water again. Your container should be very light as well, signaling there’s little water in them.

I primarily grew in 3 gal buckets in the past, and had myself down to watering about once a week on average. Early in the lifecycle it may be once every 8-9 days, later in the lifecycle during flowering it may be as frequent as every 4-5 days.

This is all dependent on your relative humidity and your soil mix and container size

An indicator is when the lower leaves start to droop a bit. When it happens the pot should feel pretty light.

Mrs. MMG picks up the pot with both hands and feels how high up the heavy wetter soil goes. You can feel it in the balance. I simply grab them with an outstretched arm in one hand by the top edge. If it picks up suddenly. Alarmingly light. Then i water.

A moisture meter stuck 3/4 down the pot will read in the dry range at that point.

M

Maddog26630

Hey is anyone familiar with the spider farmer sf 2000 and if so do you know what the lo meants next to the vo on the back of the driver I know the Vo is to turn the light up and down cant figure out what the lo is tho

Top Bottom