fox tailing huge in last week of bloom?

• Thread starter cityfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cityfarmer

cityfarmer

last week to week and a half i have seen foxtailing big. giant swollen calyxes stacking on top of one another. I am using the full line of HG. Could it be from the shooting powder? same strains done in soil and coco now doing in DWC buckets and results are insane.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So you know that this strain does not foxtail otherwise? If this is a true statement, have you not used H&G before? If that's a true statement, what can you see about that line that's different (looking for those N numbers in particular) from what you've used in the past?

I've never done UC, soil & coco-gal here, with one attempt at perlite hempies, don't know that it's got to do so much with style/method of growing, though.

I

ibTheMan

Heat, the warmer it gets the more fox tailn u get, and dur'n flushn makes um ever more taily with the heat.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
High N levels too late in flower can also cause it, as can genetics, too.

K

killakron

yeah, that is generally the case with foxtailing, too much heat. at the end of flowering the plants actually perfer less light(think summer/fall) i'd move a 600 from 1 foot up to about 36" slowly over the last 2 weeks. 1000 watter from 1.5 feet to 3.5 feet last 2. could be other things but its nearly always heat/light stress

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Is this a bad thing? I have noticed it in some of my plants and just thanked the growing gods for giving me more. Did not notice ant difference in smoking it.

cityfarmer

cityfarmer

Thanks for all the imput to everyone. yeah it runs a consistant 85-87 degrees @ 25-35% humidity through out. dont get me wrong it makes the yeild go up but it doesn't seem to want to finish. should i cut down on the lights. the lights are all above 30"

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

In my experience they may look bigger but it screws up the bud structure and makes for airy loose buds. Without pics its hard to say what'd going on and how severe it is. If it doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it. You could probably get better bud density if you could drop your temps.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have yet to see temps in those ranges forcing foxtailing. I've yet to see high temps force foxtailing, but who knows, that mistake may be next on my list of mistakes to make. I have seen high nitrogen do it a few times. That relative humidity needs to come up, a lot, in my opinion as well.

All that said, I have one particular girl who's strong on the NYCD side and she foxtails just like her momma. It's just how she builds her buds.

K

killakron

yeah i have a diesel that only grow foxtails, and that temp doesnt seem too high, and with temps there your humidity is too low, as temps goes up humidity should too as the air can hold more water at higher temps so it will equalize by taking it from the plants as higher levels. this could be your issue, as far as foxtailing increasing yield, like mitten said many times it will increase bud size, but decrease denisty to the point where it lowers yield, along with flavor. Have you had other stresses on the plant during flowering, if you have these can lead to longer flowering times, and when the plant takes longer to finish it doesnt always agree with bud strcture. So if you accidentally had a light leak, or cold night temps, or low humidity through out, this will cause the plant to ripen more slowly, though many times bud structure goes through it normal process of fattening up, getting dense, then foxtailing. like whoever said it could be high nitrogen too, if your running H&G i'd use a tiny bit less A then B near the end of flower for a better ratio. peace, and good luck

I

ibTheMan

Thanks for all the imput to everyone. yeah it runs a consistant 85-87 degrees @ 25-35% humidity through out. dont get me wrong it makes the yeild go up but it doesn't seem to want to finish. should i cut down on the lights. the lights are all above 30"

yah thats too hot, and heat does cause fox tailn. i had a 10 plant batch, all the same (SLH) 4 of um where under more heat for like 1 1/2 weeks(cause of fan issues) and they fox tailed, the other 6 where 2 weeks younger and didnt get the heat and fox tailed NONE, same plants, buckets,lights,fert.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This first pic is more like what I see on my NYCD cross.
100_16221.JPG

This is apparently in someone's gallery here on the farm (found it using Google).
IMG_9662.JPG

Last one is about some of the weirdest foxtailing I've ever seen, but I think between these pix you'll get the idea. It's really a pretty descriptive term.

Foxtailed1
dextr0

dextr0

U know what tho, ive yet to see an unfrosty foxtail. All look so delicious to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom