FoxFarm's South Carolina processing plant..

• Thread starter Tex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
FoxFarm's Ocean Forrest & their South Carolina processing plant..?

Hey fellas, I was at the grow shop earlier and a friend of a friend who works there advised me to not get the FFOF. The grow shop said they have been getting a lot of people whose plants have been dying, pests/root aphids, fungus, pieces of roots that were not broken down, large chunks of crap, etc. etc. in the soil. This is not just from indoor operations, but from legit grow clubs and legit growers.

Someone contacted FF and they supposedly did confirm that due to demand they had to open a new facility in S.C...Supposedly, there were some manufacturing errors and they have fixed them. Hmmm.?

Also, the S.C. plant is using pine bark fines instead of redwood, which is what the west coast processing plant uses? I believe that is what he said..? We all know most plants use local products to amend the basic recipe, but pine fines, really FoxFarm? Quality gone down.. Tisk Tisk!!! :mad0229:

So has anyone had any issues lately or the last few months with FFOF, especially East Coast and Mid-West growers? Is this true or is this cat blowing smoke, why would he be lying tho? Hmmm. :thinking Or am I just a day late and a dollar short on this and everyone else already knows? Hahaha.. Help a brotha out.. :cool0019:

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
It seems there might be some truth to this after researching this more. It seems many peeps have said it on riu and on the mag about this. Very very interesting..

Regardless, I went elsewhere and found some and even looked at all bags b4 buying. The other dealer knew of this too, so this is no bs I guess??

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

hey you want I am having problems with my roots I found this little tan colored bug kind cylinder in shape all running around my pots, which is funny because I always use brand new bags so there shouldnt be any bugs in my dirt.

Tripsick

Tripsick

I've heard a similar story awhile back.. People swear they got pest from the FFOF.

I personally have never had issues from the Fox farms products besides the effect on my wallet.

O

OneLuv

Premium Member
Supporter
I noticed some odd things in the last run of bags purchased.. was questioning the bags so didn't run them and gave to friends girl for her flowers she was potting outdoors. Obviously I must have saw the diff new & old bags. Won't be buying it again for these reasons unfortunately, since this is what I have always bought.

Blaze

Blaze

I've been seeing people have issues with FF products and soil for years now; this is nothing new. Their quality control is pretty non-existent at this point IMO which is why I will never buy their products anymore.

X

Xceptional

maybe try roots organic soil? I'm luckily enough to have it locally and one of the local guru's SWEARS by it and has been a dirt grower for many many years and says it is far superior. I'm a hydro guy so i cant give much first hand info i used roots organic for moms and some bags around my room but never even touched FFOF besides some cuts someone gave me in the stuff.

S

slimjoint

i did notice the last few bags had giant chunks of wood and other crap.

Blaze

Blaze

I used Roots soil for my potting mix this season. It seemed to work quite well and appeared to be good quality soil - much better than what I've seen form FF. Since this was the first time I've used it I really can't comment on the consistency of it, but I plan to use it again next season.

By far the worst I've seen though was some bagged Super Soil. Every single bag had a different appearance and texture and I found a ton of rusty nails, plastic, and broken glass in it. Total crap.

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
Black Gold did best in our tests on organic soil.

J

JAHGYDI

ive had issues with it not drying out. ive also noticed its chuckier than a few years ago. i might make a switch to something different. what i dont know?

P

paulycali

If you've bought enough soil, you've ran across some sort of bugs from the unopened bags of soil. For one its soil and natural so bugs are attracted to it and two theres little holes in the bags so a bug can squeeze its way in. You should spray for pest and molds regardless if you have any or not. Be safe!

Happy Frog Is The *hit!

R

Radio_Dread

since i tried the roots organic soil 2 runs ago i havent looked back. the hydro guy got me turned on to it too. and it was a good call. i always thank him for pointing it out to me every time im in there. its great for seedlings too. and a few dollars cheaper than the FFOF. so i guess i am lucky the local hydro guy likes it cuase he brought in there whole line of soil-less stuff in

X

Xceptional

HDK is running it in his greenhouse right now just full bags cut open and plants inserted.

post 513. if you know HDK's posts you know he grows top notch bud and knows his stuff. seeing him use it validates it to me along but he could chime in with more details on what he thinks of it. like i said i'm a hydro guy but i know lots of great growers that use it and i have got the feedback that its top notch so i'd use it without doubt.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't think I have ever read anyone who's been dissatisfied with Roots Organic. And my local garden center had a couple of bags on the floor, but I'm not doing potted organic soil at this time so I didn't price them out.

When I was doing it, I liked using Gardener & Bloom's potting soil mix, amended a bit with more 'stuff', meals and so forth, and perlite of course. And sand, I like having enough sand in my soil mixes (playground silicate, not calcareous at all).

S

supasticky

I heard that at my local shop like 10 months? maybe a year ago. They told me right after my friend bought a bag LOL. Seems like they assume it's going in the ground anyway. not always the case though for a lot of us.

-Supa

D

dican01

roots organics soil is the best if you want something right out of the bag. about two weeks worth of fertilizer in there, which is perfect for my needs. the last couple bags of ffof i bought were way too hot. roots organics have been consistent for years. their nutrients are the best of their kind also.

R

Radio_Dread

roots organics soil is the best if you want something right out of the bag. about two weeks worth of fertilizer in there, which is perfect for my needs. the last couple bags of ffof i bought were way too hot. roots organics have been consistent for years. their nutrients are the best of their kind also.

yeah i would have to agree with you, there is a good amount of fertilizer in roots organic, and i also think it is some of the best straight out the bag soil on the market.

RD

Latest posts

Top Bottom