Free gift/plant rescue... 1st grow

• Thread starter FrofarmerLA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Wussup THCF:

I'm new here, and have been reading and learning tons about growing and mj in general. Recently I was blessed with a gift from a good friend who came over with a very damaged but strong clone in a rockwool plug un a brown paper bag. (I shit u not!) Anyway, I graciously accepted it and agreed to try my hand at growing my own for the first time.

So after lots of searching and research (lots of it on here) I went out and got a few things to give that then 3-4inch tall sick life a fighting chance. (Side note: sorry I dont have pics of weeks 1-3... Honestly it just took me a while to get up the courage to take pics and post.. Also there was a point when I wasnt sure it would make it...) After a few trips to the local hydro shops and the hardware store i set up a very basic but comfy, temp grow enviro for my girl.

It is a closet set up max height 8ft, heigt to shelf 5ft. Im running a GH WaterFarm bubbler w/expanded clay. Using distilled water, feeding GH FloraSeries nutes on a modified schedule found on here. In addition, I'm using CalMag and Protekt (both as supliment and ph up). All nutes ans supps are at 50% recommended strength. For lighting its just a 100 watt 1300 lumen CFL with a cheap bowl reflector. And for now a simple fan for once a day full circulation.

As for the plant to be honest I was never really told what strain it is. Best guess tho is that itsan OG of some sort. (Maybe someone can help with an ID) So I've been feeding it lots of N as you would a true OG and it seems to be loving it. In the beginning it had 2 to 3 nodes, and a few very damaged slightly yellowing fan leaves. However, it had a strong stem and really green lively new growth peeking out atthe top. So after I setit up in its new home, i started it out at week 1 of the feeding schedule going 50% strenghth the whole way eventhough I knew it was a little past that stage. Probably was ready for week 2 or 3. My aim however, was to slowly give it time to get acclimated to the new enviro and nutes with as little stress as possible.

After some patience and daily ph checks she showed much improvement and I was able to remove severely damaged growth and let here heal. By week 3 she had greened up quite nicely standing tall and strong. Though I noticed what seemed to be the beginings of PM and what looked to be a top leaf immoble def (possibly P or Mg). So after more research praying and closely watching the plant for clues. I decided to spray 1-2 times a week with a 1:9 skim milk to water solution for the PM. BTW, it cleared the PM right up on the 1st treatment and supposedly boosts her immune system with no impact on anything else. Also can be used through flowering so I've read. Still there wasthe problem of the supposed nute defs. Well all things considered, in the end I figured the KISS principle is key here. So in week 3 I started adding in the Protekt and CalMag at 50% strength also. I have to say though that I think my decision to switch from checking ph once a day to twice a day and keeping it steady between 5.7 and 5.8 has done the most in clearing up the nute issues.

So now we are in week 4 and she is about 20inches tall growing at about 1/2 to 1inch a day. She is averaging about 1 1/2 inches every 48hrs. Her leaves are all looking healthy except unpruned older lower leaves except there is a very slight curling at the edges. If anyone can tell me what thats about it would be greatly appreciated. I wasnt planning to flip for another week or two. By that time I am hoping to have gotten a tent so that I dont ruin things with any light issues whatsoever. Also I do plan to super crop her at some point as well.

So thats my post...thanks for taking the time to check it out... Stay blessed eveyone. And I always welcome any tips and support that comes my way so pls share your thoughts.
Free giftplant rescue 1st grow
Free giftplant rescue 1st grow 2

Free giftplant rescue 1st grow 3
Free giftplant rescue 1st grow 4
Free giftplant rescue 1st grow 5
Free giftplant rescue 1st grow 6
Free giftplant rescue 1st grow 7
Drifting13

Drifting13

Welcome to the Farm, FrofarmerLA.
One of the biggest mistakes a new grower does is watering to much. Wait till the top inch or two is dry and then water until about 10% of the water runs out the bottom.

william76

william76

Welcome to the farm friend` could be too much nutes causing the leaf curl is there any sign of nute burn on the leaves? Keep on growing `76

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Lookin' pretty good for a rescue. She knows she was rescued, doesn't she? :)
Lol... If i had to guess i would say youmight be right because after the first week she took off like a rocket and already has this killer aroma...

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Welcome to the farm friend` could be too much nutes causing the leaf curl is there any sign of nute burn on the leaves? Keep on growing `76
Thx... And no sign of nute burn on any of the last three weeks of growth. Only the slight damage to the early growth i left on until i prune it tonight or tomorrow to prepare for the flip tomorrow night.

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Welcome to the Farm, FrofarmerLA.
One of the biggest mistakes a new grower does is watering to much. Wait till the top inch or two is dry and then water until about 10% of the water runs out the bottom.
Well it is a DWC bubbler so its a constant feed with a massive healthy root system that is reaching well down into the res...

Drifting13

Drifting13

Well it is a DWC bubbler so its a constant feed with a massive healthy root system that is reaching well down into the res...
Sorry I missed that in your first post... Wishing good growing to ya......

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Week 5 update:

So today is week 1 of 12/12, and after lots more reading i figured out that my grow was way light starved. So i upgraded a bit to 5 x 23w 1600 lumens CFL's for a total of 8000 lumens for my girl. I Also picked up a 200 watt warm CFL to add in a bit later once she grows a bit. Picked up a cheap little basic timer and she is good to go.

Unfortunately she's showing just a slight touch of nute burn. So i stopped using Protekt as ph uppers and went back to just reg GH upper. Also i've continued to spray for PM with the skim milk solution and its working great. Can't wait to see what the buds look like in a week or two.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know if that's going to be enough, but more is better than less (with regard to lighting). Glad to see the milk treatment is working! <waiting for the first poster to say, Dude, you've got PM!>

ttystikk

ttystikk

She's a pretty girl- and she's starving for light. Get those cfl bulbs closer if you can't afford anything more intense. A 400W HPS would be perfect and need not break the budget either to buy or operate.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I bet he could easily scout a 250W MH from Home de Pot and it'd work well, too.

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Thx for the likes and replies.. I agree with you both but because of other obligations finances are a bit stretched. I did however get a 200w cfl and i should be getting the ballast for it in a couple days... As well as a proper grow tent which will signifigantlty help with the distance issue. However, MH and HPS are just a little out of my budget right now. I'll update again soon

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Week 9 update:

So its week 4 of 12/12 and my girl is definitely blooming. Last week i moved her to a much smaller closet and bought her a brand new 200w cfl. I also treated her to some KoolBloom. And I must say... With just those improvements she is really tryna show off. She didnt pop any blooms til last week but now she is already starting to frost a bit. I'm hoping she will continue to bulk up alot more but not really sure if im on the right track or if this is as good as its gonna get lol. I did give her a good trim as well though right before she bloomed but to my amazement she is shooting out buds from top to bottom. Idk ppl take a look and lemme know what you think.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Looks really good, but keep an eye on those leaf margins that are curling over. You don't even have that oh-so-common purple petiole indicating P-!

FrofarmerLA

FrofarmerLA

Im glad you mentioned that maiden... I have been debating about whether that is P- or a humidity issue... So I have researched and done a couple things to try and resolve the problem. The first was ofcourse correcting the light situation. In my own observation, adequate lighting can right a whole lotta wrong without changing much else. IE: just by fixing the lights her pH has stabilized around 5.8 +or- .10 and any seemingly nute related leaf and growth issues seemed to have halted progression and or self repaired. My theory: adequate lighting facilitates plant metabolism stabilization, significantly improving nute uptake and usage throughout.
The other thing i did was to begin adding in some KoolBloom (i went with that supplement because i am already running GH nutes). Of course this should address the issue if it is P-. However, i am having a hard time telling if i have hit the mark or not because the curling you see in the pics is not occurring throughout the entire plant. Only on 3 or 4 leaves here and there. Also most of the affected leaves are older fan leaves. To boot, i have noticed that all of the leaves are taking on a much darker green color. More in line with the normal color of a flowering girl, which makes me think that the additional nutes are helping. Maybe i just need to be patient and wait and see.
Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thx.

Top Bottom