from a total newb... some creepy-crawly infestation [greenhouse millipedes?]...

• Thread starter thepot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

Just looking to see if diatomaceous earth would work on them and have found it will work the same way it kills fungas gnats ,aphids etc.i wasnt quite sure it would kill them but does the same way by piercing there exoskeloton...you just sprinkle it around the base and even light dusting on the plant..you can purchase a puffer plastic bottle to puff it on plant and around base..its very safe to use..

T

thepot

Just looking to see if diatomaceous earth would work on them and have found it will work the same way it kills fungas gnats ,aphids etc.i wasnt quite sure it would kill them but does the same way by piercing there exoskeloton...you just sprinkle it around the base and even light dusting on the plant..you can purchase a puffer plastic bottle to puff it on plant and around base..its very safe to use..
d/e was the first thing i thought of when i started to ponder any possible mass destruction weapons against such pests in these past couple of days, should i have a repeat of this...or better yet to prevent it before it happens again... some years ago my mom had an insect issue [grubs, gnats, et al.] in her garden and i suggested we's try d/e along with nematodes...it worked very well but this was in the outdoor garden soil and after thinking about using it in the bags for my current grow attempts i didn't think it would work much in the same way due to a completely different manner the watering cycle works via the indoor bags grow, etc... however, since you've already tried it with positive results [and i'm guessing you did so on your indoor grow thus using bags/containers] that's great news... for preventive measures i'll definitely use it when i'll begin my next couple of plants, thanks...

T

thepot

You have been overwatering since they germinated. They need dry cycles for optimal growth. No need to water everyday until they are much bigger. You're not allowing the roots to grow if you keep the medium always drenched. You may get an 8th out of that. Sorry.
yes, i just came to the same conclusion over the past 24 hours as i lied in my bed trying in vain to fall asleep last morning... not only that but i now also think that it's the overwatering in late evening - a few hours before they all came out of the bags - that actually made them flee the grow bags during the night... they probably were abandoning the bags en masse to save themselves from being drowned... my mom turned the light out in the tent and watered the bags around midnight before turning in and the next morning found the insect pandemonium inside that tent... the bags drained much more efficiently of the possible excess water while they were outdoors so overwatering didn't manage to cause them to actually drown but once inside the more humid environment of the tent the water probably didn't run nor evaporate through the bag/soil as quickly and it was suddenly general quarters for all hands on deck inside those bags... that's my tentative, newest hypothesis anyway...

it still shows how shitty that garden raised bed soil - which i foolishly used - in fact was, infested with tons of millipede/wood lice eggs... watering is likely the most complicated issue/subject for newbs like me...i've read several articles on the subject [including a great thread here on thcfarmer started by aqua-man i believe] and watched some yt videos but until i'll get some real live experience under my belt with my particular set up and various types of soil, i'm still in the dark for the time being regarding how not to under-, or overwater, my bags... and going by estimating the overall weight of bags method doesn't apply here as an option... my indomitable mom - as active and able she is for her age - is in her late 70s and i'm not going to have her lift the bloody 10 gal bags full of soil each time to estimate whether they need to be watered or not...

but yes, i believe you are correct about these plants having been overwatered pretty much from the very start... thanks for your input...

T

thepot

so i thought this thread was going to die now, after i've finally agreed with rotomox' patient replies - and those of some others - who responded and suggested that these plants should most likely be nixed, the tent sanitized and i should try to begin anew... but since a couple of more folks still responded with their input after my last post about 24 hrs ago, i'd like to extend this thread just a bit longer if anyone still might happen to read it, and ask any experienced indoor growers for suggestions on a best product, or home made natural concoction, to sanitize the inside of the grow tent with... perhaps this subject already has a separate thread here and i'll do a search for it but if not, i'd appreciate any proven recommendations; preferably made with non-toxic/chemical ingredients... thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom