Full out war with gnats !

• Thread starter 11Ron11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
11Ron11

11Ron11

I noticed gnats in my soil and buzzing around.
I have implemented a 1/2 cup of 3% peroxide and 1 gallon water mix in my sprayer.
I noticed it browned my leaves but I read it's good to mist the leaves so I'm confused.
Is a 1/2 cup peroxide to much.
I also put 1/4 cup apple vinegar in a jar with a hole in the lid to capture the adults.
I'm hoping to kill the adults with vinegar and larvae in the soil with peroxide.
Should I use less peroxide.
Should I avoid spraying the leaves.
Is it normal for leaves to brown.
So far it looks like it's working as the jar has a bunch of gnats and I don't see alot buzzing around anymore.
How long will it take to kill the eggs.
How long should I continue to use water/peroxide solution..
Thanks

Full out war with gnats
Full out war with gnats 2
Full out war with gnats 3
Full out war with gnats 4
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I have implemented a 1/2 cup of 3% peroxide and 1 gallon water mix in my sprayer.
I noticed it browned my leaves but I read it's good to mist the leaves so I'm confused.
I also put 1/4 cup apple vinegar in a jar with a hole in the lid to capture the adults.
I'm hoping to kill the adults with vinegar and larvae in the soil with peroxide.
So far it looks like it's working as the jar has a bunch of gnats and I don't see alot buzzing around anymore.
Thanks
I’m not sure how long the water/peroxide will take to kill the eggs. I really love having doctor zymes on hand for just your occasion. I would also recommend getting the large sheets of yellow sticky traps and cut a slit in it large enough for your stem to fit in and cover the whole pot. This catches the gnats hatching and leaving and also catches the gnats trying to go in.
2F7B0603 18A5 4004 ACAE A5B5502AB376

Pileit

Pileit

Until we found the microbe life we would routinely struggle with them. Hand feeding lots of coco pots its easy to saturate too much. They are there waioting for yoi to overwater or feed once, the struggle begins. Big pots for those plants, not wrong but i would have a hard time getting them to dry back quick enough. Some guys have good results with big pots from the get go, i dont have the self control.lol.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Enough with the peroxide. Peroxide might kill a few larvae and a few eggs, but it will mostly go toward oxidizing your organic matter and be neutralized to just plain old water. Wet soil is excellent habitat for fungus gnats.

Mosquito dunks are fine — WHEN YOU NEED TO WATER. There is no need to fight a pest that isn't much more than a nuisance by overwatering and causing further problems.

You can also cover your soil with about 1/4 inch of diatomeceous earth, use predatory mites and/or beneficial nematodes. Mites and nematodes will take a little longer to be effective, but once they establish, gnats are rare.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks
I've always considered Gnats a non issue, They don't seem to stick around long. I've heard them to be a problem so when I do see them I act quick with clip on fans right over the top of the pots & I'll scrape the top inch off the soil around the edges. I always have sticky tape or fly paper around. but I think the fans do the job by not letting them fly. After the soil dries I'll add more soil to the top.

11Ron11

11Ron11

Enough with the peroxide. Peroxide might kill a few larvae and a few eggs, but it will mostly go toward oxidizing your organic matter and be neutralized to just plain old water. Wet soil is excellent habitat for fungus gnats.

Mosquito dunks are fine — WHEN YOU NEED TO WATER. There is no need to fight a pest that isn't much more than a nuisance by overwatering and causing further problems.

You can also cover your soil with about 1/4 inch of diatomeceous earth, use predatory mites and/or beneficial nematodes. Mites and nematodes will take a little longer to be effective, but once they establish, gnats are rare.
I'm not watering anymore then I would if If it was straight water.
Peroxide is supposed to help control fungus if you water Normally.
I'm a newbie so everything I say is just from things that I researched not from personal experience.
Somepeople say gnats are no harm just annoying.
Some say the larvae eat your roots.
1 gnat can lay 100's of eggs so when the adults die new ones are born I don't want to ignore and have a infestation.
I seem to have solved the problem hopefully as I don't see anymore buzzing around.
I was worried at first because it discolored my leaves but that seems to have gone away.
I'm going to continue to use the 1 gallon and then I'm going to lower to a 1/4 cup peroxide as I think peroxide just makes sense if used right.
Adds oxygen to soil kills bacteria helps roots grow and acts as organic pesticide.
The benefits seem to out way the cons.
As a newbie this could be my down fall follow my diary to see..lol
Sad part is i bought the expensive organic soil next time I'm sticking to the miracle grow stuff atleast it doesn't come with bugs..
Thanks!

20220205 173241
20220206 094143
Last edited:
Top Bottom