• Start date
  • Tagged users None
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Scope the underside of the leaf and look for black specks

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Manganese
The appearance of small stippled dots of Yellowing indicate a Manganese, Not Magnesium
and I agree as to possible low Nitrogen due to the vein colors being so light
Just a Thought
Peace, Ken Dog great idea
FlyJ

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ca- will occur on the newest growth, this is occurring on older growth, suggesting a mobile deficiency. My charts are showing Mn as a mobile element. Let me do some searching.

The stippling truly looks like spider mites to me on initial perusal, though. BRB.

O3. AKA ozone.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

The way they are so dotted in clear defined dots looks insect like to me, but that wouldnt cause vein discolouration?!
I would say there's plenty of N as the colour of those leaves are abundant?

I'd say Cal not Mg

MGRox

MGRox

While I wouldn't disclude a bug as was mentioned.......If not a bug I'm siding with FlyingJ about Mn. I highly highly doubt Ca- as you probably have plenty of Ca relative to N (4th most uptaken in ppms behind N,K, and P).

I'm not considering this likely, but atmospheric O3 can cause exactly that spotting on leaves. Though like FlyingJ said Mn. Fwiw, O3 is pretty reactive specifically to Mn and Fe. You may well need to run those a tad higher in your setup.

MGRox

MGRox

one thing that bugs me a bit is inconsistencies with mobility in plants. Some places show K as highly mobile, mobile or even partially mobile. From researching it seems K is highly mobile for deposition but less mobile for remobilization, possibly adding to confusion.

I'm not sure if we could consider this as a good source, but not sure if there is better. They are showing Mn as immobile.
http://nrcca.cals.cornell.edu/soilFertilityCA/CA1/CA1_print.html
Nutrient mobility

@Seamaiden Yeah it does seem that O3 can cause those spots, but when it's atmospheric not in the nutrient solution. I could not find where O3 in roots can cause that flecking. However O3 readily reacts with Mn and Fe I guess. I know he's using carbon to filter air from his res. You'd think that would be good there, yes?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why does it have to be in the root zone? And, if he's using O3 in his room, what says there isn't some O3 making it into the root zone?

When I did a cursory search on Mn mobility I found it being shown as mobile.

MGRox

MGRox

He's dissolving the O3 in the nutrient solution for sterilization. It's being added with a venturi. He is also filtering air coming out of that res with Carbon. Do you think that would be sufficient? Not excluding that he could have some in the air, just was saying I couldn't find that it would cause spotting unless it was in the air.

As far as Mn mobility, I've not researched that specifically. The first link I gave there was cornell.
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/magnesium_versus_manganese_whats_the_difference_part_i
"Manganese is less mobile in the plant, therefore symptoms will appear first in the uppermost (youngest) leaves"
Michigan state is also showing it as immobile I guess.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/20432/em8905-e.pdf
"If you apply Mn as a fertilizer, remember that Mn is not mobile in the plant or in soil."

"Mn is absorbed by roots and moved upward to the leaves through the xylem; however, Mn cannot be transported through the phloem. Therefore, Mn accumulated in leaves cannot be remobilized in any significant quantity."

Oregon state as well.

Not trying to cause issues of course.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I like the way it makes us do the research to see what the Plausible answer is......
mobile Im-Mobile airborne or insects its all about the Better healthy girl.
@ken dog we need a close up of the leaf top and Bottom If ya can or have the time.
Peace
FlyJ

ken dog

ken dog

Ca- will occur on the newest growth, this is occurring on older growth, suggesting a mobile deficiency. My charts are showing Mn as a mobile element. Let me do some searching.

The stippling truly looks like spider mites to me on initial perusal, though. BRB.

O3. AKA ozone.

Turned it off that very day... just in case we are seeing the canary in the mine.
More later.

Top Bottom