Fundamentals Of Understanding Cec (cation Exchange Capacity) Of Your Soil

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ecompost

Ecompost

Great thread here @jumpincactus.
@Ecompost My next read is going to be Mycelium Running. http://www.fungi.com/
@Seamaiden I just heard that Jeff Lownenfels new book is about to come out. Teaming with fungi (the organic growers guide to myco). I still have the second book to finish though one of these days.
teaming with Nutrients is a great read too, very easy on the eyes and gray matter. On fungi, Paul Stamets is a true gent and in part the vision behind our Root Better

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Great thread here @jumpincactus.
@Ecompost My next read is going to be Mycelium Running. http://www.fungi.com/
@Seamaiden I just heard that Jeff Lownenfels new book is about to come out. Teaming with fungi (the organic growers guide to myco). I still have the second book to finish though one of these days.
A third book? I haven't even really dug into Nutrients! D'oh. :p

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

"... a one-pound stone might have a surface area of 12 square inches. Ground to about 200 mesh, it would have a surface area of about 8 acres. One ton would therefore have a surface area of 16,000 acres. The significant thing about that 16,000 acres is that it is all freshly-broken stone with the useful elements exposed right on the surface. These elements are readily available for extraction by the microorganisms."

- John Hamaker
The Survival of Civilization

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh God, almost 50 minutes? Can you give a synopsis of why not rock dust? I still have road ass BAD, I can't sit here in one place that long.

Interestingly enough, while I did get in trouble for things as a child, it wasn't for not sitting still. It was for things like refusing to stand or place my right hand over my actual heart for the pledge. I got into SO MUCH trouble for that shit! :p

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've listened to the first few minutes and it totally makes sense. Where we're going to be living in the high desert the 'soil' is really decomposed granite--sand+rock is what you have. There's probably zero percent organic matter, no clay to speak of until/unless you hit some hardpan down below and so adding rock dust to that mix wouldn't do a thing.

At least it's clearly very high in Ca (as evidenced by the loose, sandy nature) so tightening it up shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

All Bs set aside Rock dust is a waste of money and time,, For your type of growing
As a soil amendment Long run ?? meaning Years perhaps but for the type of growing most do ????
While your adding that why not some chicken grit ;)
A rule we all should live by is geology dictates biology

Homesteader

Homesteader

@Purpletrain You may be 100% right, but I would be more interested in the the rock dust for the CEC qualities of it. Isn't chicken grit just granite? I would be a little worried about the levels of heavy elements that some dusts contain. Some levels may be fine for food, but what about smoke? Apples to cannabis?

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Sorry you feel that way ^^^^ i couldnt disagree with you more.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Sorry you feel that way ^^^^ i couldnt disagree with you more.

Yup it only took millions of years for the ice age to move forward mineralizing our earth and millions of years to recede but putting couple pounds in our soils is going to work over night lol
curious do you use peatmoss in your soil mix there guy /?

S

Slownickel

Good thread, but take it to the next step. Albrecht, Reams and Tiedjens all came to the same conclusions, (Albrecht after he retired) that Calcium needs to be at 85% of the base saturation. Try it. There is one grower in Cali that does super well at the cup with huge yields and unbelievable quality. He applied 80 lbs of gypsum in 3 cubic meters of a very loose mix, with only a bit of compost. Mainly perlite, etc... That is surely over 90% Ca in the bases!

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have been researching this lately and in particular the sulfer content in gypsum. From my understanding and research, the fear I have with using this much gypsum is having too much sulfer lock out my N.
I was able to achieve 81.5% sat with my mix with only 3 cups of gypsum. I was hoping more people would get their soils tested and post but the thread was kind of a flop in that sense.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/soil-mixes-w-soil-tests.83464/

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Yup it only took millions of years for the ice age to move forward mineralizing our earth and millions of years to recede but putting couple pounds in our soils is going to work over night lol
curious do you use peatmoss in your soil mix there guy /?
Think what ya want to think. Keeep doing things your way buddy, and leave people alone with diff takes on gardening.
Have you met this guy 802? Tom Vanacore? Im sure.
Uh no i havent met that youtube guy, I have a college education and took hort, and composting classes at the UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT and met like minded folks gaining success all over organic farms in new england, but ill let the cannabis farmers here at thcfarmer who obviously should be teaching courses at universities keep trying to disuade folkswho have PROVEN RESULTS over 20 years of growing. Tis why ignore the shit. I have the truth in my plots! It's not my place to sit in a cannabis forum trying to convince anyone that they are wrong or do things in a wrong manner..................might be a reason why its so dead here at thcfarmer but idk man i made the mistake of giving my opinion and was met with bullshit and sarcasm. that has NO PLACE in the gardening community.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Think what ya want to think. Keeep doing things your way buddy, and leave people alone with diff takes on gardening.

Uh no i havent met that youtube guy, I have a college education and took hort, and composting classes at the UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT and met like minded folks gaining success all over organic farms in new england, but ill let the cannabis farmers here at thcfarmer who obviously should be teaching courses at universities keep trying to disuade folkswho have PROVEN RESULTS over 20 years of growing. Tis why ignore the shit. I have the truth in my plots! It's not my place to sit in a cannabis forum trying to convince anyone that they are wrong or do things in a wrong manner..................might be a reason why its so dead here at thcfarmer but idk man i made the mistake of giving my opinion and was met with bullshit and sarcasm. that has NO PLACE in the gardening community.

@lorax802 Man You need to chill out brother. Way to piss me off in the morning. THAT YOUTUBE GUY OWNSs the fucking rock dust website you say you learned EVERYTHING FROM. First off, I don't think anybody was knocking your style of growing nor was I knocking YOUR damn rock dust and even if we were WHO THE FUCK CARES?
Grow up and get some thicker skin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom