Fungus Gnats in RDWC system

• Thread starter Roadblock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Roadblock

Roadblock

Hi and here is the deal, got two rooms one has coco perlite mix in pots the other is RDWC , noticed the flys in the coco room and on a closer look I can see the larvae in the pots so put sticky traps all over the surface of the pots and used Success Ultra ( Spinosad) as a drench following what this site said , and it worked great in 10 minute there were no live larvae that I could see . After that I sprayed the walls floor pots etc with Coopex a Permethrin Residual spray. Now its see how the girls look tomorrow.

My concern is the RDWC I have a few flys in that room and lifted a couple of lids to see a couple of flys in the air space inside the tote, so did the same with sticky traps and at lights out slowed the air right down to a crawl and have a BinDie insect pest strip its designed for inside a garbage can, but its same active ingredient as Hot Shot pest strips, well hopefully the vapor takes care of the flys, but what can I do for the larvae which are bound to hatch if the flys were in the tote, as of right now the plants are perfect and roots as white as snow but Im going to be paranoid as fck waiting for these to appear.

My question is what can I use in the system that will be safe for the plants, I was thinking if the larvae cant live under the water ? , whether I could use the same spinosad drench and poor it from the top through the clay balls and down the roots , seems feasible but its my first RDWC and they are beautiful Id hate to smash them with something , I also run Pool shock and a chiller at 68 whether or not that will slow the larvae or not I dont know, will have to wait and see if anything hatches in the tote.

So guys anyone recommend something for RDWC and Fungus Gnats ?

Roadblock

Roadblock

Thanks guys will monitor if I have a hatch out.

On drenching the coco-perlite pots with Yates Success Ultra (Spinosad) I can say it worked great with no more live larvae and the girls have shown no signs of distress a day after the drench.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Thanks guys will monitor if I have a hatch out.

On drenching the coco-perlite pots with Yates Success Ultra (Spinosad) I can say it worked great with no more live larvae and the girls have shown no signs of distress a day after the drench.
Hope your grow goes awesome, good luck

mancorn

mancorn

Don't know if it will breakdown fast enough in your RDWC, but the mosquitos bits work in my small pond, is listed for gnats, and is organic (and a jar like this will last you years).

BudsAlive

BudsAlive

Hi and here is the deal, got two rooms one has coco perlite mix in pots the other is RDWC , noticed the flys in the coco room and on a closer look I can see the larvae in the pots so put sticky traps all over the surface of the pots and used Success Ultra ( Spinosad) as a drench following what this site said , and it worked great in 10 minute there were no live larvae that I could see . After that I sprayed the walls floor pots etc with Coopex a Permethrin Residual spray. Now its see how the girls look tomorrow.

My concern is the RDWC I have a few flys in that room and lifted a couple of lids to see a couple of flys in the air space inside the tote, so did the same with sticky traps and at lights out slowed the air right down to a crawl and have a BinDie insect pest strip its designed for inside a garbage can, but its same active ingredient as Hot Shot pest strips, well hopefully the vapor takes care of the flys, but what can I do for the larvae which are bound to hatch if the flys were in the tote, as of right now the plants are perfect and roots as white as snow but Im going to be paranoid as fck waiting for these to appear.

My question is what can I use in the system that will be safe for the plants, I was thinking if the larvae cant live under the water ? , whether I could use the same spinosad drench and poor it from the top through the clay balls and down the roots , seems feasible but its my first RDWC and they are beautiful Id hate to smash them with something , I also run Pool shock and a chiller at 68 whether or not that will slow the larvae or not I dont know, will have to wait and see if anything hatches in the tote.

So guys anyone recommend something for RDWC and Fungus Gnats ?
Hi I'm in Coco & perlite, if I get them I use black strap molasses 5mls in 1 ltr. Of water, use it a few waters and it always does the trick.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

The molasses kills gnats? That's a new one for me. Seems like the flys a other bugs would be attracted to sugar, not repelled.
Molasses is fungicide, kills their food source, peroxide kills larvae, sprays/sticky traps kills adults

Nugg

Nugg

Idk about your coco.but pool shock is chlorine,can't imagine them living in that water..is it under the net pot lid where they are getting in? I used caulk first go around to seal..how about that door way foam under the net pot to seal?

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Idk about your coco.but pool shock is chlorine,can't imagine them living in that water..is it under the net pot lid where they are getting in? I used caulk first go around to seal..how about that door way foam under the net pot to seal?
I missed that, pool shock?! Bad for plants, cant use pool stuff at all for plants, no shock or ph adjusters

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Don't soil gnats eat fungi and organic matter? If molasses killed fungi then it would lay waste to AACT, instead of being the food source.
Very mild fungicide. I'll post link in min

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Very mild fungicide. I'll post link in min
Don't want to take the tread too far off course, but pretty sure this article is suggesting that the microbes in the AACT is what makes it a fungicide, as the beneficial fungi is able to out compete the bad fungal disease. The molasses is simply the food source for your beneficial microbes, not that it in itself is a fungicide.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Don't want to take the tread too far off course, but pretty sure this article is suggesting that the microbes in the AACT is what makes it a fungicide, as the beneficial fungi is able to out compete the bad fungal disease. The molasses is simply the food source for your beneficial microbes, not that it in itself is a fungicide.
I use peroxide myself but if people wanna try other ways there's links better than that out there. I'll take your word for it on molasses because I've never used it, just vaguely remembered something about it being used in fungicide

Top Bottom