fungus gnats suck

• Thread starter green lantern
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

green lantern

if anyone has some good suggestions about how to completely rid myself of these vermin, i'd appreciate it. have them at bay, more annoying than anything, but they gotta go, and i've had a hell of a time irradicating them completely. suggestions??????

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They're not fungus gnats. Fungus gnats are incredibly easy to control. Root aphids? Not so much.

S

SLO Grown

Pictures? If indeed they are Fungus knats (and plants are in soil) just cover the top layer of soil with 1' of sterile sand, and throw a few 1' chunks of potatoes. There are drenches if this does not work i.e. Fungus knats. Now Ed says this for "root Aphids:

K

kk5

Regular treatments of Bacillus thuringiensis will eliminate fungus gnats. BT can be found in many grow store products. "Mosquito Ducks" and "Safers Caterpillar Killler" work well.

O

organicfreak

merit merit merit....
same stuff thats in bayer advantage "amid" BUT STRONGER... 1 drench and there DEAD.... WARNING is a systemic product (stays in plants for 30-60 days) Imho treat be4 flowering
o

G

green lantern

actually they are fungus gnats, and not easy to control, depending on how you grow. i've taken them in and had them verified. soooo quick to answer with no info....tsk...tsk.....thanks for all the "helpful" comments i'll give it a whirl! using a new method now...two prong approach..maybe?

E

E.T.

if you're in soil, let it dry out between waterings....those little fkrs like it moist all the time. when i used airpots, those holes in the side were like fkn hotels for em. i'd use bt treatments in conjunction with some sticky traps and letting your soil dry out (if that's what you're using). works for me. good luck.

BCrocker

BCrocker

I have them now as well. First time. Sticky traps are getting full!! Put about 25 of them up in two rooms.

I was told that Grotek mm2000 has Pyrethrin in it, but it doesn't say it on the label? Doesn't make sense to me. I fed with mm2000 at 50mL/100L yesterday, not sure the results yet. Going today to find some BTI

O

organicfreak

actually they are fungus gnats, and not easy to control, depending on how you grow. i've taken them in and had them verified. soooo quick to answer with no info....tsk...tsk.....thanks for all the "helpful" comments i'll give it a whirl! using a new method now...two prong approach..maybe?

either gnats/or aphids use MERIT... they will die... no treatments,no nematoids etc.. just dealth... and then you have free time to train feed clean up etc... Don't know about you ,but I'm busy enough that I dont have time to keep applying things and hope its working... imho

o

way2green

way2green

In my experience they disappear when watering and feeding is cut back. They seem to come to prominence when over watering s apparent. I don't have an educational reason forvthis but many peeps call them watet gnats, moisture gnats, or mostly theyvr called soil gnats to organic deep South Cultivators.

T

toquer

I wish it were over watering. I get them every time I transplant. Seems they come alive in the first watering. Thinking of inoculating my bulk soil bag with nematodes. OG Biowar and nematodes fix it within two weeks though.

Tnelz

Tnelz

If they are fungus gnats get gnatrol. Two or three treatments and they r dead and gone bro. Spinosad works against them to. However they do resemble root aphids and if u have a worse than usual gnat population I bet the aphids r the cause. I really agree with Seamaiden here bro.

Skoosh

Skoosh

To chine in, if they are indeed fungus gnats then there more than a nuisance that flies into your face, they actually do damage on a microscopic level feeding on your roots before they mature and pop up out of the medium.
I've had excellent results with a layer of (sterile) sand, or diatomaceous earth which doesn't allow them to break the surface and mate.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hope he's got 'em nailed by now, guys. This thread is from 2011.
Hope nobody uses Merit75 against fungus gnats.
Lots of organic ways to knock 'em down, cinnamon, rosemary oil, diatomaceous earth, sand, nematodes, OG BioWar, Mosquito Dunks, etc, etc.
Only way to keep 'em from coming back is to stop bringing soil/coco/water into your garden, and never ever use worm castings or anything that contains them. So.....
I'll put up with a couple fungus gnats. They usually never reach an annoying level with the regular use of OGBiowar, but if I didn't have that, I'd grab Mosquito Dunks (organic farmers only) or Spinosad for a root drench.

T

toquer

They don't last long. Lots of beneficials at the shop. Just sucks that every clone has to start that way. I'm going to order a shit ton of nematodes and inoculate the 2yd bag monthly. Next year when my soil has finished roasting I won't have this problem.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I bust 'em up and top dress.
Be sure you use non-chlorinated water or you'll kill the BTI (the beneficial bacteria in the dunks).

Tnelz

Tnelz

I run them through a coffee grinder. Turns it to dust and really gets into the medium. However gnatrol actually dissolves and works ten times as well. Imo. Total wipe out.

Top Bottom