fungus knats

• Thread starter jaybird
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jaybird

anyone have a quick and effective way to get rid of fungus knats?

S

SUPERBABY

azamax as a systemic and yellow sticky traps for the adults...

I am going to try mosquito dunks..

check out my thread

P

PureSugar

I think most pesticides will handle them pretty easily. I'd try something mild first. I got them the first time I used Rockwool they seem to thrive in the top inch or two of overly wet algae covered medium. I also had mites that grow (yeah killer grow i know) so right before flowering I bombed the room with I believe a pyrethrin based fogger and it helped with the mites but completely got rid of the gnats. In another forum somewhere I read that using a couple inches of sand on top of soil containers keeps gnats under control by keeping the top of the soil dry. Now I use a similar method with Rockwool and haven't seen a gnat since. I put about an inch and a half to two inches of Hydrotron over the top of my growing medium and it keeps me gnat free. Keeping your growing medium from staying too moist for long periods of time should keep them from coming back. I've heard people have had good luck with a product called gnatol but I've never used it.
Good luck and be glad they aren't mites!

bodhi seeds

bodhi seeds

pedator nematodes, yellow sticky traps, and potato chunks...

i like the beer idea:banana1sv6:
does that work, they fly in and get hammered and drown.

justiceman

justiceman

check out my thread
The azamax should hopefully stop the larvae from feeding. I don't know to much about it though, but I have heard it's good. Another product that is organic is Gnatrol witch is a type of bacillus that stops gnat larvae from feeding. It's used as a soil drench like azamax. It worked for me in the past. I only needed one application and its OMRI.
The yellow sticky traps will definitely get those adults.
Beer.

-Supa

Ya beer works bodhi as a stand alone or with the yellow sticky traps for adults. I once had a saucer full of beer in my grow room. The gnats were attracted to it they could not resist. It's easy and cheap. Not to mention it works if you don't have access to sticky traps or you would rather not spend the cash.

So it's Azamax, or Gnatrol for the larvae. Predator nematodes are great, but I belive they are more for a long term protection. Not a quick fix.

Then it should be Yellow Sticky traps, and a saucer of beer(One or the other should be fine. Use both if you want to battle hard)

In another forum somewhere I read that using a couple inches of sand on top of soil containers keeps gnats under control by keeping the top of the soil dry. Now I use a similar method with Rockwool and haven't seen a gnat since. I put about an inch and a half to two inches of Hydrotron over the top of my growing medium and it keeps me gnat free. Keeping your growing medium from staying too moist for long periods of time should keep them from coming back. I've heard people have had good luck with a product called gnatol but I've never used it.
Good luck and be glad they aren't mites!

Indeed a medium that has a consistent amount of wet to dry periods instead of more wet periods probably won't have fungus gnats. Putting Sand, Hydroton, Perlite, or Coco Crouton's on top of the medium will surely discourage fungus gnats although it's not guaranteed. I believe they live in the first few inches of the soil, or in the bottom where your drainage holes are if you have pots with drainage holes that is. Generally speaking I have learned from my own experiences that when one has fungus gnats it means the medium doesn't have enough drainage(aeration).

R

robbiedublu

What medium are you growing in? They're a bitch to get totally rid of in soil.

Z

zooted

layers of sand and the water lightly is working for me

and clean envron and dont have trash laying around or food so the gnats can reproduce

S

supasticky

Justiceman is the one that put the beer idea in my head. There was like 100 gnats in his beer in like 2 days lol. shit works.

-Supa

H

Herbiraptor

Tried predator, ran them twice, cut them way down but they still came back.

Soaking with Neem oil worked but seemed to knock the plants a bit.

Also got a bright yellow bowl filled with water that got quite a few.

JH420

JH420

I found a product that works great, it's called "Vectobac"

I'm pretty sure the active ingrediant in Vectobac is called
bacillus thuringensis.

Just water your plants with this stuff mixed in and it works 100% for me.

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

only one thing that works for these flying pest and its called bio shark.. soil attack liquid.. this is the shit.. ..

D

DrDanko

I had issues as well, used the Azamax and it worked really well. I originally tried it as a spray, which was stupid because they live in the soil(duh!). But yeah, I used it as a soil drench and that worked great. Good luck! DrD.

C

CAPO

Aloha Jay-Bird!

If in dirt remember to do a soil soak as well as top and bottom foliar. I had thrips once and I alternated between Azamax and Monterey Bay. As fliers become immune to treatments like fungus spores do.
Jalisco Kid utilizes mosquito netting over the substrate, I found this to be quite ingenious as a preventative!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

check out my thread
A quick squirt of Avid will kill them long time, but I don't recommend it for flowering plants at all. Azamax as a soil drench should also work, as should Azatrol, again as a soil drench.

I tried mosquito dunks, only worked a few days then they were back. I understand that they're now supposed to have an expiry date. Gnatrol & Gnat-off, if you can find them. For some reason Gnatrol is about impossible to find anymore.

What medium are you growing in? They're a bitch to get totally rid of in soil.
I haven't had a problem with eradication in soil. It's eradication in coco coir that I've had a real problem because I can't let it dry out the way I can with soil. Also, I know if I put a layer of sand on top of the soil it won't wash through--not so true with coco.

No Pest Strips definitely work, but you don't want to be exposed to them a whole lot and, again, i personally wouldn't use them with girls in full flower.

W

weedbaker

I learned the gnats come in our rooms from eggs in soil.I had trouble finding gnatrol myself.Had to go with the go gnats.I would think an early drench of about anything that kills pest.Would kill the eggs befor they become a problem.Sometimes I will see a flier just soak again throw up a fly trap.

M

Mr.Smokster

I switched from soil to a cocunut and perlite mix because of fungus gnats. No fungus gnats since then.

S

seamus

Well i was gonna ask about sand,sprays,sticky strips etc to git rid of the buggers,cant think of a better reason to open a bottle of Yorkshire Hemp Beer-I'll drink to that,Cheers Seamus

Top Bottom