G Hydro carbon filters...anyone have any experience?

• Thread starter Lp_jr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lp_jr

Lp_jr

Breaking down for a 6" AC Infinity Fan, but their filter is out of stock on Amazon. I saw these G Hydros and thought they may be a good option.

Just wanted to see if anyone could drop some knowledge on me :)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I was going to order one but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Judging by reviews I’d assume it’s as good as any other. I just wish they’d make these so you can change out the carbon easily. Would save a lot of sheet metal from ending up in the dump.

CF89

CF89

I was going to order one but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Judging by reviews I’d assume it’s as good as any other. I just wish they’d make these so you can change out the carbon easily. Would save a lot of sheet metal from ending up in the dump.

grind the end off. Change carbon. Rivet the new tip back on?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Airbox used to make a line of those.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Airbox used to make a line of those.

Yeah years ago I had a carbon filter that had screws holding it together so you could easily dump out the existing carbon and replace it with Virgin carbon.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

So looks like airbox doesnt make the ones I was talking about anymore.

But looking into it I have the cheap carbon filters off amazon laying around. 4 screws and drilling out 4 rivets you can replace the carbon in them.

IMG 20200904 121828

IMG 20200904 121744

IMG 20200904 121942

IMG 20200904 122013

CF89

CF89

Where are you guys finding replacement charcoal? What are they keywords to look it up?

“Activated charcoal bulk” and “activat carbon bulk” in amazon, eBay, and alibaba didn’t bring up much.

Amazon has a 20lb bag for $12

alibaba has a ton for $1900 lol. Or $662 if you order 100,000 tons.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
A ton would last ya a while ;-)

Used to be able to just buy refill carbon but now I think you would have to get aquarium carbon/charcoal. You can also burn off the residue on your existing Carbon you just have to be careful not to catch it on fire. Oldskool said he uses a propane torch to do this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom