Gavita 1930e still has diodes illuminating in the dark period.

• Thread starter Jay87
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jay87

Yikes. That is bad, good catch. I'd call Gavita right away on this one. Hopefully a warranty fix for you.
Yes very bad. Can’t work out what would cause it. Iv switched the controller off and it still does it. It is still getting power some how. I thought the controller is meant to turn them off completely. Iv got in touch with were I bought the lights, he’s tried to contact gavita but all still closed for Xmas.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yes very bad. Can’t work out what would cause it. Iv switched the controller off and it still does it. It is still getting power some how. I thought the controller is meant to turn them off completely. Iv got in touch with were I bought the lights, he’s tried to contact gavita but all still closed for Xmas.
If there is no power to the unit how can it be on? timers should shut off the power. How are you turning it off and on without a timer?

Anthem

Anthem

The controller is likely still feeding a low voltage to the lights. From what I remember all are suppose to work off zero to 10 volts. If the lights are still illuminating with no controller on at all. There is a problem with the driver.

Anthem

Anthem

The controller is likely still feeding a low voltage to the lights. From what I remember all are suppose to work off zero to 10 volts. If the lights are still illuminating with no controller on at all. There is a problem with the driver.
I should rephrase the last part. if you take the controller off the light completely and the light is still illuminated it is the driver

TSD

TSD

I've had this happen with my cheap Walmart grow light, had to unplug it entirely. Leds don't take much power to run, I live in an old house with old electrical so I chalked it up to that. I was also using a timer. My marshydro doesn't do this, so maybe something about the quality of the parts in the light?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've had this happen with my cheap Walmart grow light, had to unplug it entirely. Leds don't take much power to run, I live in an old house with old electrical so I chalked it up to that. I was also using a timer. My marshydro doesn't do this, so maybe something about the quality of the parts in the light?
Then you have current on the ground or current on the neutral and that's not the lights problem that's your house electrical which can blow diodes in the driver causing current to back flow. Do you get a tingle when you touch your fridge, stove, sink?

J

Jay87

If there is no power to the unit how can it be on? timers should shut off the power. How are you turning it off and on without a timer?
I’m using a master controller. That has its own power source as the lights do to. The controller shuts the lights off when I want but they are still plugged into a power source.

J

Jay87

I should rephrase the last part. if you take the controller off the light completely and the light is still illuminated it is the driver
Yeah Iv turned the controller off and it’s still doing it. So could be the drivers. It’s happening on both lights though.

J

Jay87

Then you have current on the ground or current on the neutral and that's not the lights problem that's your house electrical which can blow diodes in the driver causing current to back flow. Do you get a tingle when you touch your fridge, stove, sink?
You could be right here. Iv read it could be faulty wiring. But I moved into this house 4 years ago with a brand new total re wire with certificates. But still doesn’t mean it’s been done correctly. I will take the face plate of the plug and see if neutral is live. Thanks for that.

Anthem

Anthem

Yeah Iv turned the controller off and it’s still doing it. So could be the drivers. It’s happening on both lights though.
Unplug the wires from the controller to the drivers.

Anthem

Anthem

That was going to be my quick fix. I’m going to put them on timers. Just very annoying when you spend basically £2500 on lights and controller and get this happen. 🤬
What controller are you using?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

That sux. You are getting lots of good advice while you are waiting for them to open again at least. Are you in flower now, or can you make it thru for a couple weeks in Veg? I assume this is your concern - light leaks causing reveg.

If you have a voltmeter we can walk you thru some checkouts, starting with line to neutral, line to ground, and neutral to ground. I'm assuming you are in the EU so I would expect 220, 220, and 0V respectively. The last one is the one I would be most concerned about. If you have 0V between neutral and ground and this lights are still on with the controller unplugged, you have an issue in your driver and this should be for Gavita to repair for you. My gut is that the driver is the issue, but the fact that both lights are doing it makes me scratch my head a bit.

TSD

TSD

It only did it with that light, not the other 2 that were also in there. I don't use that light anymore, I bought it because I started too many plants that year lol. No tingles here, hopefully my house doesn't burn down lol.

Top Bottom