Gelatin like substance around roots?

• Thread starter cell
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cell

First time I've ever seen this.. there seems to be this clear gelatin like substance around the root zones in the water of my hydro setup. Can anyone help me as to what this is?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Check res temps to make sure not to high, that might promote some root rot or pythium..

Get some Hygrozyme and give it a dose, you should be fine

Tex

C

cell

I realize there is light penetration reaching my res. Maybe leading to algae or this pythium? Ordering the hygrozyme bc it is inaccessible locally. Would you consider it being ok in the meanwhile with a water change and proper light sealing?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
For sure seal off the light from the res, that will make the most difference.

Tex

C

cell

The answer I was hoping for, for now. Good thing I caught this now, the plants do not seem to be reacting to it yet.. but better late than too late!

Thank you for the fast info.

C

cell

Completely sealed off my res, which I had thought was already done, but I overlooked the smallest of seams. Now, just awaiting hygrozyme in the mail.

With the res change, and the light completely sealed, should the plants fight off this gelatin on their own or is the hygrozyme the only way?

C

cell

So I guess I'm the first person on the Farm to encounter this problem..

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
FloraShield, Hydroguard, and Vitagrow all work good as a reservoir water contitioner to help prevent the same problem in the future

Res temps at or below 75 helps also

Tex

C

cell

Unfortunately those are not immediately accessible to me, especially while I'm waiting on my mail. I've been reading around and I'm come across hydrogen peroxide as one way to treat this. Any opinions?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
H2O2/Hyrdrogene Peroxide works great but you need to get the horticulture grade that is 35%, not the 3% version the drug store has.

Tex

F

fuzzy

Yep very easy to burn plants using HP.Just be careful how much and what percentage.my 2 pesos,Fuzzy

F

fuzzy

Yep very easy to burn plants using HP.Just be careful how much and what percentage.my 2 pesos,Fuzzy

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
10ml per gallon of water can be used to flush, be careful and wear gloves and glasses. 35% h2o2 is some serious stuff.

jj

C

cell

:(

I've lost my clones. The bacteria locked them out from obtaining any feed, tried to fight it cautiously with h202, perhaps I did something wrong.
Still waiting on my mail for my hygrozyme. Bad timing based on the holidays.

Right now they are drooping over with no sign of revitalization, I do not know.

Scraping project, pissed because I had a nicely growing London High in an LST amongst them.

Going to steer away from a container grow with multiple plants, sticking with 1 plant per 5 gal. bucket.
This way if one gets infected it will not breach the others.

This is a very upsetting way to start the new year.

Thinking positive.

C

cell

After reading, reading, and more reading about hydroponics, I never knew it was so demanding, and unforgiving if you make the slightest mistake.

Oh well, another lesson learned, but still a fantastic way to grow!

U

udub

Wash in tap water, scrub the roots with fingertips, will disappear in 5 days.

C

cell

Tried that, did not work. Then tried it with diluted food grade peroxide, it had died off for about a day but then seemed to come back. I had some type of perpetual breeding ground of it, perhaps infested into one of my air stones.

Lesson learned.

G

Guano

Don't feel bad Cell,I've been battling w/my 1st DWC grow too.Learn from your mistakes,try & set optimum conditions & keep your fingers crossed the same shit doesn't happen again:whew

C

cell

Thanks G! This whole operation is about learning. Stepping stones from our innovation, innovation from our experience, experience from our mistakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom