Gelato appear to be flowering... but aren't. Any insight??

• Thread starter bassman8290
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bassman8290

Hi everyone! Glad to be a part of this community.

I'm fairly new to growing, but my wife (Scarlet) is a professional who has managed a dispensary grow here in Colorado Springs and has years of experience through hundreds of cycles and tens of thousands of plants, overall.

We just recently began growing at home, as she is now a caregiver, and have seen some great results thus far, but we're super curious as to what's going on with our photoperiod Gelato plants (we have no autoflower strains). Hopefully one of you can offer some insight into our situation (which may not be problematic at all).

We started them from seed in 1 gal plastic pots with drainage holes in the bottom corners. We are using coco coir (with some perlite, of course) and Athena nutrients. Tested pH with a Bluelab soil pH pen (properly calibrated) and levels are ideal; 6.0 in the grow medium and 6.1-6.2 in the feed mix (which has an air stone in it and is stirred each time before use). Temps hover around 77°F in the 4x8 tent they're growing in with an average of around 70% RH under a couple California Lightworks Solar System 550 LEDs (approximately 30" above the canopy and set to R49 W99 B99) on a 20/4 schedule. When they were seedlings, we had them under a 2-bulb T5 (6500K) on a 24/0 schedule. Needless to say, they are nowhere near the 12/12 schedule needed to transition to flower.

That said, all our other plants being grown under the same lights and on the same lighting schedule are growing like normal, with the exception of these Gelato plants (every one of them, in fact; four plants total).

They seem healthy (the little droopiness is because they were just watered), but ever since they were about 6" tall they've been growing pistils at each node (which, of course, is not abnormal, per se). The strange part is that they now seem to be exhibiting bud structures, but are firmly in the veg stage and are growing new fan leaves out of these "buds," which seems to indicate that they are not yet flowering, but appear to be...

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

We'd like to keep the strongest as a mother plant, but we've never taken clones from a plant that looks like this, and Scarlet has never seen this before. We also are concerned about what topping might do to the plants.

Please take a look at the photos and share your thoughts. Thanks in advance for any information you can offer!

Gelato appear to be flowering but arent any insight
Gelato appear to be flowering but arent any insight 2
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi everyone! Glad to be a part of this community.

I'm fairly new to growing, but my wife is a professional who has managed a dispensary grow here in Colorado Springs and has years of experience through hundreds of cycles and tens of thousands of plants, overall.

We just recently began growing at home, as she is now a caregiver, and have seen some great results thus far, but we're super curious as to what's going on with our photoperiod Gelato plants (we have no autoflower strains). Hopefully one of you can offer some insight into our situation (which may not be problematic at all).

We started them from seed in 1 gal plastic pots with drainage holes in the bottom corners. We are using coco coir (with some perlite, of course) and Athena nutrients. Tested ph
Pics?

Autos or photos?

Grow environment?

Light schedule?

Age of plants?

B

bassman8290

Cotyledons popped on June 26th for the Gelato.

Here is the room they're in:

20220731 160329
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They have to be autos sent by mistake id call the source and show them pics.

The only other thing it could be is photoperiods revegging and that would make sense except i dont see the usual twisted growth… if so they will stunt hard for a few weeks then after about a month return to ceg state

Do they older fan leaves at some point have 5 or more blades while the bew ones have 3 blades?

If so thats a tell tale sign of reveg

B

bassman8290

They have to be autos sent by mistake id call the source and show them pics.

The only other thing it could be is photoperiods revegging and that would make sense except i dont see the usual twisted growth… if so they will stunt hard for a few weeks then after about a month return to ceg state

Do they older fan leaves at some point have 5 or more blades while the bew ones have 3 blades?

If so thats a tell tale sign of reveg
That's just it; they never went into flower, so couldn't be reveg. All new fan leaves have 5 blades.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have some better pics? They looks like clones to me

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nevermind i can see further down the nodes are parallel. They definitely went into flower… but if they never had 12 of dark then they have to have ruderalis in the genetic

B

bassman8290

Their frosty gelato is autoflower
Huh... not seeing that as an option on their site... either way I'm gonna contact them and attempt to confirm whether or not my order was correct.

I agree with you that, if it is indeed flowering (as it appears to be), it had to have been crossed with ruderalis. My lighting schedule should absolutely prevent that from occurring.

It's just that I've heard/read about similar situations where the plant was not flowering, it was just exceptionally covered in pistils, and the grower was able to transition to flower like normal... So I had to ask.

Information on this topic, I've found, is far and few between and usually concerns the opposite effect (revegging).

B

bassman8290

The more I look at my plants and some photos other members have posted of their Gelatos in veg, the more I think they did accidentally send me auto seeds. Going to finish flowering them out and not order from that seed bank again lol.

Thanks for the insight.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The more I look at my plants and some photos other members have posted of their Gelatos in veg, the more I think they did accidentally send me auto seeds. Going to finish flowering them out and not order from that seed bank again lol.

Thanks for the insight.
No problem and good luck on the grow bro. That’s probably a good idea

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

Those definitely look like they're starting to flower so I would think they have to be autos bro. Not saying the mistake was yours and you ordered autos instead of photoperiod, but the company most likely made a mistake on their end. Did you reach out to them like you said and if so what did they say? You should for sure ask for a refund or replacement seeds sent out though either way!

Latest posts

Top Bottom