Gelato auto week5 yellowing any advice?

• Thread starter Fuzzyaxe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Fuzzyaxe

Hi everyone, my name is Shane and could use some advice. We are growing Gelato Autoflowers and we are having some issues with yellowing and spotting. We ph adjust our water to near 6.5 and use distilled water mostly and our plants are 5 weeks old. We have been following recommendations online and cutting the strength of the fertilizer mixture, 1/8 originally then ¼ and finally ½ currently until end of grow. I usually water until runoff under the pot after feeding 2x or 3x and test the runoff ph and ppm. Usually the runoff is between 150-300ppm and 6 ph approx. We try to get 10-20% runoff when watering but is probably closer to 10%.

When we feed them it's around 2.5 litters of fertilizer to the 6 plants. The soil is Pro Mix HP Mycorrhizae and 5 of them are in 3 gallon pots and 1 is in a 5 gallon. The grow tent has a inline fan to recycle air and it is kept at approx. 27deg and 55-60% humidity.

The feeding schedule we found online was

week1 =1/8 strength 100ppm
week2 =1/8 200
week3 =1/4 400
week4 =1/2 450
week5 =1/2 500
week6 =1/2 550

I'm sure there's important information I haven't included so apologies for that.

Does any of this seem very wrong to any of you? I’m also curious if there’s a different mixture of fertilizers that Autoflowers prefer compared to photoperiods?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Gelato auto week5 yellowing any advice
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You will need to have close ups of the plants for someone to figure out what your yellowing means.

2.5 liters for all 6 pots? That doesn't sound like you're watering thoroughly.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Shouldn't be using distilled water unless you are conditioning it with alkalinity like calcium carbonate, or even ph up then adding calcium of some sort, even a bit of tap water, then nutrients.

You're also likely not letting them dry up enough between waterings if you're only using 2.5L. A 3 gal pot should take almost a full gallon of nutrient solution per watering when it's dried up properly, so for 6 plants somewhere around 5-6 gallons per feeding.

Closer pics of the plants and specific problem leaves would help.

F

Fuzzyaxe

Thank you for the responses everyone.

I've attached a few more photos of the damage hopefully I took them at a good angle and lighting.

@HiDroShopWNY The fertilizer we're using is GreenPlanet 3 Part GP3 Kit. Apologies I think I didn't explain it correctly, when we fertilize the plants I give 2.5 liters to the 6 combined so it's really 400ml to each plant once a day for 3 days then I have been flushing them with approx 3 liters of PH adjusted water (trying to get near or under 6.5 PH).

So what we have been doing seems very wrong, we should be giving larger quantities or fertilizer like @Dirtbag said but wait longer in between feedings so the medium has time to dry? I apologize if this is an obvious question.

We have been using Distilled water because our tap water is Softened and usually 200 ppm or more, I guess we were worried the extra ppm or sodium in the water would hurt the plant?

We're also using a SE-5000 500w spider farmer grow light approx 20inches from top of plant if this is relevant to any issues.

Thanks again,

20220105 104857
20220105 104724
20220105 104542
20220105 104647
Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

You wanna see rough lol. I'm on day 66 since seed on my Gelato Autos and my leaves look like SHIT. BUT my Buds get fatter and fatter each day. For weeks now I've been trying to figure out why my gelato vegetative growth has always looked so rough, and my Bruce banner autos look so good (but smaller buds). All my plants get th

e same everything (besides the same light intensity on the outer most sides so I shift my plantson occassion)
So back to my own personal conclusion is that I don't think my Gelato like the levels of nutrients as my other plants. I'll attach some pics and videos so you can see.

20220105 141915
20220105 141228
20220105 140830
H

HiDroShopWNY

Thank you for the responses everyone.

I've attached a few more photos of the damage hopefully I took them at a good angle and lighting.

@HiDroShopWNY The fertilizer we're using is GreenPlanet 3 Part GP3 Kit. Apologies I think I didn't explain it correctly, when we fertilize the plants I give 2.5 liters to the 6 combined so it's really 400ml to each plant once a day for 3 days then I have been flushing them with approx 3 liters of PH adjusted water (trying to get near or under 6.5 PH).

So what we have been doing seems very wrong, we should be giving larger quantities or fertilizer like @Dirtbag said but wait longer in between feedings so the medium has time to dry? I apologize if this is an obvious question.

We have been using Distilled water because our tap water is Softened and usually 200 ppm or more, I guess we were worried the extra ppm or sodium in the water would hurt the plant?

We're also using a SE-5000 500w spider farmer grow light approx 20inches from top of plant if this is relevant to any issues.

Thanks again,
IMO, watering should be consistent in terms of amounts, whether you're feeding that day or not. I agree with others, it sounds like its not enough water, and therefore youre having to water more often than would otherwise be necessary. You should get some runoff. Most synthetic fertilizers do not require feeding more than once or twice per week. If I understand your response, you're feeding three days in a row? This is too much in my opinion. Also, you should know (and adjust) the PH of your nutrient + water mixture, if you haven't already been doing this.

Kanashiihawk63

Kanashiihawk63

Supporter
I am not at all as experienced as some of the great answers you've gotten- But I will put one little thing into the mix. When plants begin to bloom and flower, they put LESS energy into building "fan" and "support" leaves- and transferring nutes directly to the growing colas. Each strain and each phenotype can be a bit different even within the same grow! You blooms/flowers look GREAT to me. It's not bad for a beginning grow...It looks better than MY first grow 8 yrs ago! 😉. I found the best way to grow (for me) was K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid). Do what works for you. Personally I don't WANT an entire lab/growing facility in my grow area, but some folks do enjoy mixing and experimenting with different nutes and such.
I have always used API products (the ones with gorilla on it) it's a 3 part thing. One with living microorganism and mycorizza and such, the other is a GROW TIME and the last a FLOWER time, I also use the powdered LOTUS BLOOM. I always mix my nutes (VERY diluted) make a tea and then using bamboo skewers- make channels down to the roots- feed, water and voila! With this farming/hobby you have to do what works for you. You can try what works for Jed, but if mucking with 10 different bottles and machines aren't your thing...Well. Do whatever works well for your plants. Honestly, they don't look to bad at all for your first grows! Don't worry about "flushing" until then end (if you have used non-organic nutes. If you have organic stuff, you shouldn't HAVE to do this, but your preferences trumps all.)
Best of luck and welcome! ☮️🌱
Warmly,
Jackie~

chuck88

chuck88

Definitely a watering issue going on here. Small amounts of water given frequently will not help to develop a good root system.

But neither will water to run off until the plant(s) are ready for it.

And flushing is not required Unless you have a toxicity issue.

I'm currently growing auto's in 3 gallon pots with ProMix HP and a 600w MH/HPS with a parabolic hood in a 4' x 4' enclosure.

My girls are @ day 37 and drinking 3 L every 2 1/2 days. Pick up the pot and when it feels "dry" water.

And I feed every watering. Currently using MegaCrop but did the same with Advanced Nutrients M/G/B.

I see the odd yellow tip and will assume your girls are getting enough food.

Adjust your watering and things should perk up !

Some might find this interesting. On another forum a member was talking to a ProMix rep and he emphatically stated that there is no need to ph your water with ProMix HP.

My well water ppm is ~500 and 7.5 - 7.9 ph.

On a whim I decided to give it a go. My girls have had four waterings in the last week with NON ph water and 4g/gallon of MC.

It is still early days but I see no issues. The Gelato in the back left has grown 2" in less than 24 hours !

The Girls 13 Feb 2022 Day 37   Copy

Cheers

G

Gatorsgrow

I've been fighting with gelato auto flower seeds for a while, were they yellow when they sprouted?

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Yellow should have been there nickname lol. I could never seem to have gotten them under control. But, here I am on my now 3rd grow and doing Durban Poison and I'm struggling in Seedling stage yet again Lol. Fact of the matter is I have been very happy with my end results but not so much from weeks 1 to r. Makes me wonder how much better my end result may have been especially with autos especially if I can figure out the Seedling stage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom