generations of clones / best time to cut em

• Thread starter III6hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
III6hydro

III6hydro

Do clones lose anything generation to generation? or is it completely up to the available nutrients , soil, ect...?
Does the point in the vegetative cycle they are cut influence the health of the plant?
I would like to hear what everyone has had the best overall dealings with.😁💨
(◎﹏◎)

tmnygrowz

tmnygrowz

What I have heard (and am now starting to witness) is that the stability and consistency of genetics goes down the further out you get from a mother. I am on 3 cuts out, and this is the most finicky plants I have had....from one if the most stable mothers I have had.

linde

linde

What I have heard (and am now starting to witness) is that the stability and consistency of genetics goes down the further out you get from a mother. I am on 3 cuts out, and this is the most finicky plants I have had....from one if the most stable mothers I have had.
Exactly right. don't keep taking a clone of a clone of a clone for new mothers if possible. Try to keep original mother going. I've got away with it a couple generations but after that the plants noticeably lose flavor and resin....atleast with DJ Shorts blueberry. Some strains may last longer. A guy here just said yesterday that his 25 yr old mother is as good as day one producing great clones. Go figure?

kaka

kaka

Supporter
old wives tales.... genetic drift.... total bs.
Ive got plants older than 20 years old that are as vigorous as anything in my room.
aerics calio is over 40 years old.
most people have no clue how to hold important genetics for years.... keeping them healthy and vigorous.
if you treat your moms like shit... sure they'll do worse over the years.

tmnygrowz

tmnygrowz

old wives tales.... genetic drift.... total bs.
Ive got plants older than 20 years old that are as vigorous as anything in my room.
aerics calio is over 40 years old.
most people have no clue how to hold important genetics for years.... keeping them healthy and vigorous.
if you treat your moms like shit... sure they'll do worse over the years.

I agree with this -- if staying with the same mother.

I do believe the question asked was specifically about cloning into new generations (a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone), which will show deterioration based on the weakening structure of the plant -- no longer having a main tap root.

My life goal is to get a couple mother plants established that outlive me...hahaha, have to put them in my will!

kaka

kaka

Supporter
I agree with this -- if staying with the same mother.

I do believe the question asked was specifically about cloning into new generations (a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone), which will show deterioration based on the weakening structure of the plant -- no longer having a main tap root.

My life goal is to get a couple mother plants established that outlive me...hahaha, have to put them in my will!

A clone of a clone of a clone will only ever deteriorate if the grower/grow room sucks.

linde

linde

In theory you are correct. A clone of a clone should always be an exact replica with same genetic passed on. But in reality it just doesn't happen. I once received a few AK47 clones from a buddies mother plant. I grew and budded them all out except one which I kept as my own mother. the budded clones smoke was killer....but any smoke that was grown from clones of my mother was never as tasty or resiny. night and day difference. So...Im assuming that my buddies mother was already mothered out a couple of times prior and one more generation weakened the genetics enough to directly affect the finished quality.... I'm not a chemist and don't know the scientific reason, I just know it happens. it's just common knowledge within my circle of grower friends to hang onto the original mother as long as possible and ONLY clone her for new mothers if absolutely necessary. Strictly my own experiences and beliefs. Carry on.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I know a family here that has cloned clones of clones of an over 20 year old NYPD. (New York Power Diesel). They all grow some every season and the potency and flavor beats pretty much everything I have smoked in that time. They say its been the same all these years.

kaka

kaka

Supporter
My experience bringing in clones from other people is they always suck. Always. I find it takes up to about a year for me to put life back into a beaten up clone but I can bring plants back to a juvenile state pretty easy. It just takes time.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have always followed the no outside plants rule. But i sure do get curious about some of them.

growsince79

growsince79

My vote undecided. I've kept same clone only about 4 years and they were always exactly the same. Never kept one 20 years. But I know mutations can happen. I not going to say the guys reporting clone drift are liars or shitty growers. IDK.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

My vote undecided. I've kept same clone only about 4 years and they were always exactly the same. Never kept one 20 years. But I know mutations can happen. I not going to say the guys reporting clone drift are liars or shitty growers. IDK.
you need to take clones from the upper third of the plant were the health growth is. not the shit you cut off trying to clean your plant up.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

you need to take clones from the upper third of the plant were the health growth is. not the shit you cut off trying to clean your plant up.

I always take lower immature branches for cuts. I read they root faster years ago and have had no problems.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

My experience bringing in clones from other people is they always suck. Always. I find it takes up to about a year for me to put life back into a beaten up clone but I can bring plants back to a juvenile state pretty easy. It just takes time.

Will you elaborate on this for me or is it as simple as providing a good growing environment and time?

Top Bottom