Genetics when breeding a reputable breeders plants

• Thread starter thebigjdoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thebigjdoe

thebigjdoe

Suppose I buy a quality breeders seeds. Lets assume it is one strain and I get a 10 pack. Then I get a male and female from them, and have them make a ton of seeds. Will those seeds be as good?

This is all for personal use, but really, I'm tired of spending hundreds each year on seeds. I don't even smoke that much, it's mostly a hobby, and I have a half dozen friends who I make clones for every year. I never charge anyone anything, just trying to help friends and family not waste their time with bag seed. Ever since I have been providing clones their quality has skyrocketed....

Also curious about buying two strains and crossing them, but I will research more as there is plenty of info on that here.

Thank you!

Mellowvibes

Mellowvibes

It will work but the genetics are typically weaker. But you never know. Look for the strongest looking males to fertilize the females. Use a range of females to get different phenos.
My suggestion is continue cloning and keep it going with the same strength. Have a mother plant if you want.
If you do decide to fertilise. Ensure its away from the bud your growing to use. You wouldn't want any pollen on those.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It depends a LOT on the breeder. Often breeders selling regs are selling F1 hybrids. If they are bred with stabilized homozygous parents they produce very vigorous plants that can be used for breeding, but with F2 offspring you will get a ton of variation and it could be a bit of a chore identifying the dominant traits to breed with any further if you dont know what the dominant traits were in the original parent stock.

thebigjdoe

thebigjdoe

Ok both of these replies make sense. This year were from seed junky. It is a cross, but no idea if they are f1 hybrids. One of the strains crossed is wedding cake F3. I'm going to clone the fems, but figure if I can dump some pollen on them after I can get a shit ton of seeds for next year and not even deal with cloning. Honestly I dont enjoy that part, and that is mostly why I do it, for joy.

I don't know anything about what dominant traits to look for in this strain, so I would be shooting in the dark if it were that difficult. Is an F3 parent considered stable and homozygous? I'm just getting into this as in the past popping seeds and cloning seemed to work, but with more and more people asking for babies, I just cant.

Maybe I should get a tent just for a perpetual mother, but this whole breeding thing has me intrigued...

On that note, and I'll research more, but can clones be used for breeding or will the genetics be altered?

Wish me luck lol, thanks again.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
F3 stock SHOUD be more stable if the breeder is doing good work. But will still give a bit more variation than F1 I believe.

Either way, for regular production, seeds arent really reliable. They are awesome for pheno hunting and selecting moms for clone production. But any batch of seeds will give variability unless they are very stable Inbred lines or back crossed.

That would be another thing you could do is back cross over 2 or 3 generations to try and lock down the dominant traits you want. But again you'll have to identify the dominant traits.

Top Bottom