Germinating for over a week, still hasn't popped

• Thread starter Kl420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kl420

Kl420

Hey guys, doing my second grow this time and put my seeds to germinate, first 40 hours in water to hydrate them, then into wet paper towels and it's been more than 1 week and the seeds haven't popped. Some have shown signs of about the pop but hasn't. These seeds I got the same time I got the previous seeds and last time they popped so easily with the same method. Any ideas on what wrong with them? They have swollen also but its not popping.
Germinating for over a week still hasnt popped
Germinating for over a week still hasnt popped 2

Kl420

Kl420

Now put on less watered paper towels just to try my luck, hopefully they pull through. There are some op strains here

quirk

quirk

Between the 40 hr. soak and the sopping wet paper towels, those seeds have been drowned. Let me put it this way. If I hold your head under water for ten minutes, the water doesn't kill you, the lack of oxygen does. Those seeds have been without oxygen for a week and are dead. One way to avoid this in the future is a 4 hr. soak, MOIST not wet paper towel, 70-80F with 75F being optimum.

Kl420

Kl420

Between the 40 hr. soak and the sopping wet paper towels, those seeds have been drowned. Let me put it this way. If I hold your head under water for ten minutes, the water doesn't kill you, the lack of oxygen does. Those seeds have been without oxygen for a week and are dead. One way to avoid this in the future is a 4 hr. soak, MOIST not wet paper towel, 70-80F with 75F being optimum.
Yeah makes sense. This is good lesson for me, I don't know what I was thinking drowning them. Luckily have some extra seeds, I'll do a one hour soak and put them on a moist paper. Damn this is one of the best lessons in the grow journey. Some lessons are hard.

logdog

logdog

A method I learned from a friend to use with older/drier seeds is to put them in water but just let them float don't push them under place in dark warm cabinet for 2-3 days and tap roots appear then carefully plant directly into soil or peat or whatever you use. This method has worked well for me with older stock.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Hey guys, doing my second grow this time and put my seeds to germinate, first 40 hours in water to hydrate them, then into wet paper towels and it's been more than 1 week and the seeds haven't popped. Some have shown signs of about the pop but hasn't. These seeds I got the same time I got the previous seeds and last time they popped so easily with the same method. Any ideas on what wrong with them? They have swollen also but its not popping. View attachment 1192688View attachment 1192689
Toss them

BDH420

BDH420

If your using old seeds. A trick my old mentor showed me once. He took a toilet paper roll tube and lined it with sandpaper and placed the seeds in the tube and shook for a about a min or 2. I forget what he called this method. But it helps weaken the shell so the old seeds will germinate properly. Im not sure if it really works but he always did it to seeds that were a couple years or more older.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

If your using old seeds. A trick my old mentor showed me once. He took a toilet paper roll tube and lined it with sandpaper and placed the seeds in the tube and shook for a about a min or 2. I forget what he called this method.

Scarify seed or scarification is the sanding or nail file option.

growdrunk

growdrunk

Those paper towels are super soaked. I soak for 24 hours max and then damp bounty paper towel for a couple days. The paper towel should be damp but not dripping wet when you put the seeds in. Once they pop a tail about an inch long into the final home they go. Just did this exact method and had 100% rate on 20/20 fastbuds auto seeds.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Hey guys, doing my second grow this time and put my seeds to germinate, first 40 hours in water to hydrate them, then into wet paper towels and it's been more than 1 week and the seeds haven't popped. Some have shown signs of about the pop but hasn't. These seeds I got the same time I got the previous seeds and last time they popped so easily with the same method. Any ideas on what wrong with them? They have swollen also but its not popping. View attachment 1192688View attachment 1192689
I just did mine for the first time since jr. high lol...never actually grew them, didnā€™t have a clue how. But when I germinated my 5 seeds a couple weeks ago I used the soak and paper towel method. I soaked for 24 hours in distilled water. You know those Clorox disinfectant wipes? Thatā€™s about how wet my paper towels were. I sprayed them each day so they wouldnā€™t dry out and on the 2nd day they popped, 3rd day one already left itā€™s shell lol.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
soak with water and h2o2 at 7-8% strength for 10 hours, donā€™t matter if they sink or float,than plant in small solo cups, make a bed of peat for the seed to sit on than cover over with peat and soil.
put into grow area with a seedling heating mat plugged into the timer to come on during lights on and off during lights off,
high humidity,
little airflow.
this way you really never touch the seed until the plant needs a transplant..
by far the best method and to this day has never failed me.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Are they Fems? Throw'em away. It could pop eventually, but at that stage, its not worth the headache. If it takes more than 2 or 3 days, then its likely to be weird.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You drowned them, you put in cup of water till they sink no longer, then on a plate between 2 paper towels, a good bean will germinate in 24 hours and pop in 48 a 72 hour process, had dark devel seeds since 2016 in fridge and that is exactly what happened.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
set them on top of your cable box, or modem. that will help. but soaking them that long, im not sure that is good. do you have enough seeds to redo

BDH420

BDH420

set them on top of your cable box, or modem. that will help. but soaking them that long, im not sure that is good. do you have enough seeds to redo
haha the first place my friends look to see if i have anything new going is the cable box. Its a good heating pad. Just the right amount of warmth to kick start those seeds.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Yeah makes sense. This is good lesson for me, I don't know what I was thinking drowning them. Luckily have some extra seeds, I'll do a one hour soak and put them on a moist paper. Damn this is one of the best lessons in the grow journey. Some lessons are hard.
You don't even want the paper towels to be moist. Just damp. I personally dampen two paper towels, fold the seeds into the two damp paper towels. Then I put two dry paper towels over the damp ones and pop it in a Ziploc bag. Depending on how much moisture the two dry towels soak up you may need to spritz a bit of water into the bag after day 1 but that will be it for water. You don't even need to soak the seed first in my experience. I also put the Ziploc bag in my tent on top of my light which will be on, this generates the heat and creates the humidity you want. They always sprout in 2-3 days.

Kl420

Kl420

Wow thanks a lot everyone for the advice. Really glad I learned this lesson now, as I ordered and received new seeds just before trying to germinate these. So gonna start a new batch soon, using the soak for 2 hours and into a moist paper towel method. It's pretty warm where I am. Again thanks a lot everyone. This is why thc farmer has the best community.

Latest posts

Top Bottom